The great hunter for mice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, in another post people suggested to put cat in the attic. I could do that. In the knee-wall section is plywood floor in some sections and uncovered fiberglass insulation in other sections. Can I assume the cat will not try to walk over the plain insulation sections and mess up the insulation/fall through into rooms below?

Leave lights on or off? I assume night time would be best?

Our cats definitely do not like walking on soft things, but I think that all bets are off if they are pursuing a mouse...the cat will develop a laser focus on its prey and not notice the insulation.
I guess I would turn the lights off, the cat really won't care and the light might make the mice less likely to come out.

the cat will get the mouse or mice. lights off is good for the cat as their eyes are best suited for that...the mice i believe have bad vision and rely on smell a lot. but i'm no expert so good luck.

Others may disagree, but I personally don't think that sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't assume that your cat will stay off of the insulation or avoid any other areas that pose a risk of injury/discomfort to the cat or damage to the house.

Originally Posted By: Padawan
Others may disagree, but I personally don't think that sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't assume that your cat will stay off of the insulation or avoid any other areas that pose a risk of injury/discomfort to the cat or damage to the house.

I agree with this. If you have a known mouse up there, call a professional, who has a variety of mitigation tools on his or her belt. Your cat may get the mouse, or may fall and hurt him or herself in the process. To me, this is not a job for the family pet.

You want to put a cat in a fiberglass filled freezing cold New York attic where it's going to pee and poop?

Doesn't sound right to me.

Originally Posted By: Padawan

I totally agree. When I had a mouse in the attic I put a couple traps up there. SNAP! Problem solved.

John

Why would you want to turn your attic into a cat's litterbox? If you have a vermin infestation, there are smarter ways of handling it than tossing a cat in the attic.

Without sealing up the entry points first, all you're doing is making way for future infestations. Seal up the vermin entry points, and then catch/kill the vermin left in the attic with traps.

If the cat is interested and a hunter it may work. My cat went nuts with the noise and I let her in the attic and she caught one of the mice. They won't fall thru ceiling because sheetrock can support weight of a cat.

The downside is my cat plays with mice like toys and occasionally loses them or they die of fear it seems.

I had a mouse wake me up one night, he was running around somewhere, I couldn't find him. The next night I locked my cat in the bedroom. (he had access to a litter box in an adjacent bathroom) Morning came and there was the mouse, legs up in the middle of the floor. Nice and quiet after that. Cats are born killers.

Actually - I was thinking of just opening the door to the knee-wall area and the cat can go in there if he chooses or not. There will be a litter box up there along with water. This would just be for a night or two. He would be in his normal area during the day.

Fire off a couple bug bombs in the attic. A cat in the attic seems not the best idea.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Actually - I was thinking of just opening the door to the knee-wall area and the cat can go in there if he chooses or not. There will be a litter box up there along with water. This would just be for a night or two. He would be in his normal area during the day.

This. Perfect plan! Cats are the absolute BEST exterminators. Rodents also know if cats are present and will stay away.

Our little orange tabby female is a voracious mouse killer...the fat tuxedo male, twice her size, would probably foul himself if a mouse rushed him. They are shelter cats, I'm thinking the tabby must have been raised outdoors to be such a good mouser.

Cats are excellent hunters,especially females which I think are the best. My female tuxedo in the blink of an eye will jump up and catch a bug flying by in mid air. So quick you don't see it coming! She's really long and lean,and is solid muscle.

I gotta say the cat in the unfinished attic idea sounds pretty stupid. Lots of nails for it to get injured on, places for it to get trapped, urine and feces all over. Not a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You want to put a cat in a fiberglass filled freezing cold New York attic where it's going to pee and poop?

Doesn't sound right to me.

Actually it doesn't smell right to me. After a few days the urine and feces will be enough that once the weather warms up the smell will drive you and your family out of the house. Nothing in a house, including the attic, is air tight. Just as the smell can get into carpet and drywall, it will get into the insulation and drywall covering your ceiling. The only way to get it out will be a total tear down, and replacement of all materials in your attic.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I gotta say the cat in the unfinished attic idea sounds pretty stupid. Lots of nails for it to get injured on, places for it to get trapped, urine and feces all over. Not a good idea.

I gotta say you must have skipped over a few posts .. you seem to be lacking in relevant information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back