Kendall Super-Dxa 15W-40 SynBlend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dusty/JStep:

Was this the SM version of Super-Dxa or the SN one? Just wondering if there is a difference between the two formulations regarding the smell issue.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Dusty/JStep:

Was this the SM version of Super-Dxa or the SN one? Just wondering if there is a difference between the two formulations regarding the smell issue.

It was all labeled SN. For what it's worth, it was two years ago this month that I posted a VOA/UOA of walmart supertech 15W40. That oil was labeled CJ-4/SN as well. It was made by Warren (the Omaha based company, not the N.C. company).

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Dusty/JStep:

It was all labeled SN. For what it's worth, it was two years ago this month that I posted a VOA/UOA of walmart supertech 15W40. That oil was labeled CJ-4/SN as well. It was made by Warren (the Omaha based company, not the N.C. company).

The supertech voa/uoa is on page 6 in the diesel uoa section now (in case anyone is interested). Again, it was CJ-4/SN rated.

2015_PSD, I hope we didn't discourage you from trying the Kendall. If you still want to give it a run, I would suggest putting it in just before one of your towing trips. That way it'll get hot and burn off the odor fairly quick.

I thought it was a good oil. I only wanted to make you aware of it's one downside and didn't intend to disparage it all together.

2015_PSD, I hope we didn't discourage you from trying the Kendall. If you still want to give it a run, I would suggest putting it in just before one of your towing trips. That way it'll get hot and burn off the odor fairly quick.

I thought it was a good oil. I only wanted to make you aware of it's one downside and didn't intend to disparage it all together.
Not at all. I picked a 4 gallon case of it to try. I have an OC coming up later today and will probably use the Kendall. I like the brand, it has good results, and it is hard to beat that price for a synblend.

Not at all. I picked a 4 gallon case of it to try. I have an OC coming up later today and will probably use the Kendall. I like the brand, it has good results, and it is hard to beat that price for a synblend.

Ok cool. I'd be interested to know if you experience what JStep and myself did. I wonder if anything has changed in the chemical makeup of the Kendall that has removed the burning odor. I would gladly use it again no matter what you report but I'm curious.

Edit- if you can see your oil temp, I'd be interested to know if you see an increase in oil temps (in comparable situation) vs the T6 you have been running. The Kendall has a 4.4 HTHS and ran much hotter than anything I've run since (T6 and a couple 10W30 oils) Again, just curious.

Last edited:
If you can see your oil temp, I'd be interested to know if you see an increase in oil temps (in comparable situation) vs the T6 you have been running. The Kendall has a 4.4 HTHS and ran much hotter than anything I've run since (T6 and a couple 10W30 oils) Again, just curious.
I can say that T6 runs about 4°F hotter than Delo 400 LE in my 6.7L (in like operating conditions). From a seat of the pants perspective, I have not liked T6 as much as I did Delo (both are 5W-40). I have one OC of T6 left and I may just relegate it to my Brute Force 750.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
2015_PSD are you talking about Delo 400 15W40 or their 5W40?
5W-40 (I noted it towards the end of the post above). I have ran Delo 400 LE 5W-40 and T6 5W-40.

Ok cool. I'd be interested to know if you experience what JStep and myself did. I wonder if anything has changed in the chemical makeup of the Kendall that has removed the burning odor. I would gladly use it again no matter what you report but I'm curious.
I changed the oil today and used the Kendall. I have only put about 10 miles on it, but no smell thus far. Does it take a while for the smell to develop?

I changed the oil today and used the Kendall. I have only put about 10 miles on it, but no smell thus far. Does it take a while for the smell to develop?

I can't speak for JStep with his pickup truck but for me with my Volvo it is very noticable within a couple minutes. I always go into a shop while under a load so the engine is very hot and within thirty minutes or so I'm pulling out of the shop and rolling again. Between the heat retained within the engine and quickly getting back to work, it starts to smell early on.

At first I figured that some oil was drizzled onto the engine and the smell would be gone shortly. As I got up to speed and generating some serious heat, the smell would quickly become overwhelming in the cab and voila....freak out time.

My oil temps would hit the mid 240's and within approximately 30-50 miles the worst was over but it would remain stinky for hundreds of miles. There was no missing it. Maybe you will never get the odor but I used the Kendall three times in this truck and a couple times in my previous truck and it was stinky every time.

My oil temps would hit the mid 240's and within approximately 30-50 miles the worst was over but it would remain stinky for hundreds of miles. There was no missing it. Maybe you will never get the odor but I used the Kendall three times in this truck and a couple times in my previous truck and it was stinky every time.
Dusty - I have to report after 100 miles there is no smell, so I do not know if Kendall has changed the formulation, if my lower operating temperatures do not cause it, or if the smell just does not happen with my 6.7L. From a temperature point of view, here are the rankings of the three oils I have used. I did not pay attention to the FF of MC 10W-30, but that was during break-in anyway (note these are unloaded highway speed temperatures at speeds between 65MPH and 85MPH):

Code:
Oil Viscosity Low Operating Temp High Operating Temp Oil Filter

Chevron Delo 400 LE 5W-40 199°F 201°F MC FL-2051s

Kendall Super D-xa 15W40 201°F 203°F CQ 84151

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 203°F 205°F WIX 57151

Yeah, you're in the clear then. That is plenty hot enough to bring on the odor. I wonder if your crankcase is closed up so tight that not enough vapors escape to be noticed. That has become a huge part of lowering emissions but there must be some vent to prevent too much pressure in there.

My truck has highly filtered crankcase vapors and the tube that hangs down stays clean. The only thing I see is lots of water (condensation) pouring out during extreme cold weather operation. Before the latest round of emissions rules, everything was vented including oil mist. Maybe your truck's crankcase is better filtered than mine. Or maybe it is a different oil formulation?

I was sure you would see higher oil temps compared to the 5W40 oils but I guess not much difference. T6 and 10W30 oils run much cooler in my truck compared to the Kendall 15W40.

Dusty - I have to report after 100 miles there is no smell, so I do not know if Kendall has changed the formulation, if my lower operating temperatures do not cause it, or if the smell just does not happen with my 6.7L. From a temperature point of view, here are the rankings of the three oils I have used. I did not pay attention to the FF of MC 10W-30, but that was during break-in anyway (note these are unloaded highway speed temperatures at speeds between 65MPH and 85MPH):

Code:
Oil Viscosity Low Operating Temp High Operating Temp Oil Filter

Chevron Delo 400 LE 5W-40 199°F 201°F MC FL-2051s

Kendall Super D-xa 15W40 201°F 203°F CQ 84151

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 203°F 205°F WIX 57151

Oh....thanks for the info sir. Thanks for following up and if you have any developments please let us know. Now you have me thinking about another run with the Kendall!

The 6.7's oil cooling circuit is thermostatically controlled, so the only time you're going to see an increase in temps over 205f is towing in the mountains.

Ok thanks roadrunner1. I figured it would be allowed to hit 210-215 (F) even unloaded, cruising the interstate. Mine is controlled at 246-247 so I can see how different oils run.

This product has been their price price fighter oil market in our area. Over all the oil is a good oil and holds up well. The only time I've seen problems with this oil is from soot loading. This oil does not handle engines what product high soot levels from excessive idling and not running at normal operating temperature. I see the problem the most in emergency service vehicles running International DT466 engines. Lots of idle time and not at temp. OTR Class 8 applications and off road diesels should do well with this oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back