Laufenn Tires - Any Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I just took the Trailblazer into Discount Tire to have the original 14+ year old spare replaced. I figured as a spare, a cheapo tire was good enough (has Continentals on it now). They upgraded me from the cheapest Taskmaster to a Laufenn for free. I guess it's made by Hankook?

Anyways they seem well priced, anybody have any experience with them? If they're decent maybe my mom's car will get a set.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I'm "laufenn" at them.

crackmeup2.gif

It is a funny sounding name, gotta admit.

Quote:
The name “Laufenn” is derived from the German word “laufen,” which means “run,” Hankook said, and will be promoted with the brand slogan “Journey in Style.”

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20141106/NEWS/141109946/hankook-adding-laufenn-entry-level-brand

The OE Hankook tires on my aunt's 2013 VW Beetle TDI were terrible at 10k miles, now at 40k they're even worse.

Laufenn sounds like a Chinese or weird eastern Europe brand but it might not be. Weirdest Chinese tire brand I've ever heard was Zambonee.

I haven't actually seen these available anywhere. Not sure if I'd buy them since regular Hankooks are cheap enough.

Originally Posted By: 55Test
Laufenn sounds like a Chinese or weird eastern Europe brand but it might not be. Weirdest Chinese tire brand I've ever heard was Zambonee.

Were the Zambonees at least good on ice?

What is the budget for these tires? Laufenn is generally considered garbage Chinese tires. I would steer clear. In terms of cheaper tires I would try and go for something like a Nexen, General, Uniroyal or Kelly tires. General and Kelly tires would be my two choices from what I had mentioned but I would steer clear of a "good deal."

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Laufenn is generally considered garbage Chinese tires.

Technically, they are Korean.
They're made in Indonesia

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Buy Michelin
smile.gif

In your dry climate, a tire that never gets used - especially a Michelin - should last a year or two before dryrotting.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Buy Michelin
smile.gif

In your dry climate, a tire that never gets used - especially a Michelin - should last a year or two before dryrotting.
Yeah, here was the Trailblazer's Michelins after 3 years. They were replaced with Continentals!

302c1dw.jpg

Some interesting point from the above links-
The Laufenn X Fit HT may surprise you a bit in how well it performs in everyday driving. For its low price you might be tempted to think it’s just another cheap tire, but that’s not the case here. Unless it’s deep snow and ice, this tire does more than an adequate job around town or out on the highway.

Riding on the HT is also a pleasure. Road noise is minimal, which we’ve heard other driver reviews mention as well, and ride comfort is pretty good. Rough pavement and potholes roughen the ride, but that’s really to be expected. Tread life appears to be long lasting and we have not heard anything different from other drivers on this tire.

Overall we rank the HT in the upper half of its class. Though arguably not up to the performance level of models like the Yokohama YK-HTX, General HTS60 or Michelin Defender LTX M/S among others, it still does a solid job. The price is low, which is very appealing for budget-conscious drivers.

So much for the amateur reviews/comments in the previous posts.

Last edited:
Wait, you mean that I can't go by people who don't have any interest in, or experience with, the tire and aren't familiar with them...while still uhhh..depositing an opinion. That'll confuse me more than calling Hankook an entry level tire since I've owned a set that weren't entry level and were one of the better sets I've used in the last 20 years.

Originally Posted By: CKN
So much for the amateur reviews/comments in the previous posts.

And what credentials does http://tirereviewsandmore.com/ have? What is their testing methodology?

It's written on the internet, so it must be true...

It's the same methodology used by those who posts Michelin are the greatest tires in the world-here on BITOG. In spite of widespread dry rotting and the pictures that are posted to prove it.

Last edited:
It's the same methodology used by those who posts Michelin are the greatest tires in the world-here on BITOG.

Right. So all fairly useless. Yet you posted it as if it had some great value.

It's the same methodology used by those who posts Michelin are the greatest tires in the world-here on BITOG.

Right. So all fairly useless. Yet you posted it as if it had some great value.

Yep-isn't the Internet GREAT? Also-for proper context let's add my sentence you conveniently left out- In spite of widespread dry rotting and the pictures that are posted to prove it.

Last edited:
Quote:
The name “Laufenn” is derived from the German word “laufen,” which means “run,” Hankook said, and will be promoted with the brand slogan “Journey in Style.”

They're trying too hard. They tried really hard to come up with a name that really did mean something.

The problem is, the name that they came up with doesn't work in English all that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back