businesses charging extra sales tax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our sales tax in texas is 8.25% So basically when I buy something for $100 or $99.99 the price is $108. I've had it where I buy something at a fast food place and the price will say $4.99 on the menu and they come up with a price of like $5.69 instead of $5.41. I don't get it. Like yesterday I was at walmart and bought a trailer tire. The price was $97.00 even and the price came out the $105.00 Should have been $104.74 roughly.

Ah, here's a question I think I can answer!

Texas and California (those are the two I work with the most) have some oddball sales tax rules. In many cases, in those two states, there are extra municipal sales tax rates placed on top of the usual state and county breakout.

Even more strange, is zip codes within the same city can have different tax rates - IE, Syracuse NY 13205 will have .5% extra sales tax than Syracuse NY 13202 will have.

Really odd.

Also I have seen extra sales Tax in newly built areas. There is one local to me that has an extra Tax for some reason I do not remember

Wait until we do away with pennies, (like they did in Canada) where they always seem to round up.

At one time, I used to go to a place that would have a sale item. What they would do was ring up the normal price, add the tax, and then subtract the coupon or sale value. NOT LEGAL. What should be done is to ring up the normal price, then subtract the coupon price, and only then add the tax to the discount price.

I once blew a company in for charging the tax first.

We pay almost 11% at some local restaurants that are in a newly renovated shopping plaza.

State sales tax is 6.5% IIRC, so the local jurisdiction is taking a cut that is over half the state take.

Oh, and on gasoline here. We pay both the excise tax of whatever per gallon, but we also pay the 6.5% sales tax and any local sales taxes.

Needless to say, when it make sense, I buy fuel in MO as we are near the state line.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Our sales tax in texas is 8.25% So basically when I buy something for $100 or $99.99 the price is $108. I've had it where I buy something at a fast food place and the price will say $4.99 on the menu and they come up with a price of like $5.69 instead of $5.41. I don't get it. Like yesterday I was at walmart and bought a trailer tire. The price was $97.00 even and the price came out the $105.00 Should have been $104.74 roughly.

Ive been ruminating that Sin taxes are unconstitutional - I don't know why we the Sheeple put up with it. Lilly livers I suppose here in the US.

Check your math. $97 X 1.0825 = $105

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Ah, here's a question I think I can answer!

Texas and California (those are the two I work with the most) have some oddball sales tax rules. In many cases, in those two states, there are extra municipal sales tax rates placed on top of the usual state and county breakout.

Even more strange, is zip codes within the same city can have different tax rates - IE, Syracuse NY 13205 will have .5% extra sales tax than Syracuse NY 13202 will have.

Really odd.

Texas has a base state sales tax rate of 6.25%. Local county and municipal govt can add tax, to a max of 2% (for a total max sales tax of 8.25%).

OP, you need to check your receipt and do the math. They are not charging something correctly.
The Walmart receipt will have the sales tax rate listed on it.

Seems like years ago sales tax was the same across a state. Now I'm noticing more and more the added tax in certain areas. Where I live it's 7.25%, but go south 50 miles and shop at Cabela's and it's 9.3%. Really irritates me.

Sometimes I think like at fast food restaurants that they just do a periodic increase and then don't bother changing the prices on the menu since most wouldn't even notice it. Most aren't going to fuss over $.25 added to their cheeseburger.

Sometimes I think like at fast food restaurants that they just do a periodic increase and then don't bother changing the prices on the menu since most wouldn't even notice it. Most aren't going to fuss over $.25 added to their cheeseburger.

The mom and pops might do that, but all the big chains have the right prices up on the menu. If the numbers don't come out, I call them them on it and they always give me the number on the menu board. Then they say something lame like they forgot to change it. We have a priced as marked law in the state so they know they can't get away with it. Sometimes at the mom and pop places, I don't bother even looking at my change.

Actually Dunkin Donuts is in hot water around NYC because they collected tax on certain items that are non-taxable(bagged coffee and bottled water).

I think its into millions....

Many localities have an additional tax on restaurant food (including fast food) and hotel room rentals. The idea is to milk money from out of towners who can't vote there.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Many localities have an additional tax on restaurant food (including fast food) and hotel room rentals. The idea is to milk money from out of towners who can't vote there.

Our state thrives on this, full control of liquor/wine sales, and keeping cig. tax lower to attract out of state folks to buy here and fill coffers.

Originally Posted By: mk378

Lots of tourism taxes in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back