CERATEC in a newishing eninge (7k miles)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker first time poster.
So I just acquired (bought) a new to me Volvo XC60 with 7k miles on it. I want to keep the car as long as possible. The car has 2 years left of dealer oil changes etc. I was thinking of adding CERATEC to it in order to prolong the life of the engine...kind of like "Treat your body well when it's young and it will serve you well for years to come."

Is it ok to add it now? I mean after 7k miles and their first oil change the engine should have already set, right?

Should I use CERATEC or Liquid Moly?

What oil would you recommend? Assuming I will bring my own oil for the dealer to use when changing it (I have been doing that with my old Volvo).

Thank you everyone!

I doubt adding ceratech or moly will be needed. The engines usually aren't the reason for selling an older car if well maintained.It is usually a $5,000 dollar trans rebuild that causes the sale of a car that has a value of $3000.

I doubt adding ceratech or moly will be needed. The engines usually aren't the reason for selling an older car if well maintained.It is usually a $5,000 dollar trans rebuild that causes the sale of a car that has a value of $3000.

Good oil doesn't need snake oil added to it. Put your dollars into the engine oil and the filter as well as good maintenance, and don't waste it on additives and supplements that could possibly clash with the oil's native additive package.

It might be better to pick oil that meats your manufacturer's specifications for your climate and driving conditions and trust that the oil formulators knew their craft and that their end product does not need any outside help.

This would especially be true if the oil formulators and the additive people have not collaborated during their product development and agreed upon a common set of spec's, requirements and goals.

If you want to do that little bit extra to keep your car in good shape over a long period of time put your effort toward parking your car in a closed garage as often as possible. Away from home always try to park in a covered area or in the shade. These little steps will do far more than a "special" oil treatment added to a good quality oil. That's because you engine will most likely outlast the rest of your car as it ages over the years to come. I speak from experience, look at my sig.

Your Volvo needs an ACEA spec oil...many Volvo dealers and even independent shops don't understand what that means...and see "5W30" and fill it with bulk 5W30.

This will lead to expensive flame trap/VVT solenoid/engine repairs at some future date.

One of the best oils in your case would be the Mobil 1 0W40 European formula...

Nothing wrong with Ceratec, but focus on the bigger issue - proper oil. With the proper oil, you'll have no problem getting well over 200,000 miles with your car. I know a guy with 400,000 on his 2002 V-70 XC...It's never had any work done to the engine. He uses no additives, but he does use the proper spec oil.

The XC in my signature just turned 200,000 miles. It runs on Pennzoil Ultra (that I bought on sale, but that meets the ACEA spec for that car).

The T5 in my siganture just turne 180,000 miles. It runs on Mobil 1 0W40.

Both engines run like new. They're quiet, smooth, get good mileage and make lots of power.

The manual recommends 5w30 or 0w30 so should I still run with the 0w40 European?

Do you think if I have it serviced at VOLVO dealer then the dealer will know what oil to use that's appropriate for my car? or do they just use a bulk oil?

Volvo dealers have a history of ruining Volvo engines through the use of incorrect oil. If they give you a 0W30 synthetic, it's likely OK. BUT your car has a 10,000 mile OCI, right? So I would be very, very picky...

The Mobil 1 0W40 is on the thinner side of a -40. It's made for long drains. If you're doing this yourself, that's what I would use. I've got several UOA for my Volvo with that oil, it works very well...

Google "Volvo Flame Trap" and see all the heartache that Volvo dealers caused by using bulk 5W30 Dino for extended drains...

Last edited:
THANKS!
yeah with my old VOLVo I would bring my Mobil 1 to the dealer and have them change the filter etc but I would not pay for oil.

Now I didn't fully trust them to use my oil so I never went beyond 7k on my OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Volvo dealers have a history of ruining Volvo engines through the use of incorrect oil.,,,,,,,,,,...

Google "Volvo Flame Trap" and see all the heartache that Volvo dealers caused by using bulk 5W30 Dino for extended drains...

I did the google and did not find much on Volvo dealers ruining engines other than your post.

Please explain or post the links.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Volvo dealers have a history of ruining Volvo engines through the use of incorrect oil.,,,,,,,,,,...

I did the google and did not find much on Volvo dealers ruining engines other than your post.

Hey Astro where is the info or are you on leave ?

What year?

I'd run MOS2 in it after about 20K miles because the six cylinder has a strange timing gear/accessory drive setup (called READ) that rarely has problems. The thing that worries me most on the six cylinder are the rings. Anything to help them seal would be great.

As for the four cylinder, if yours is new enough, it has a similar gear setup on the balance shafts on the bottom of the block and the high pressure fuel pump would love the moly.

I find Volvos do better on MOS2 than Ceratec.

Astro no response ??

Astro no response ??

Looks like you need to watch out for what this member Astro14 posts little or no substance to backup claims made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back