recomendations for sub $10k used hatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my buddy who owns the Vibe in my sig, is having a change of his living situation that will allow him to replace his car in the next year or so.

I'm guessing on the budget, so lets say the cheaper the better.
he's hung up on hatchbacks, and when i asked what models he has his eye on, the 2 he mentioned are both outside of my knowledge arena.
1)Nissan Juke (which to me are hideous, but, not my car)
2)Hyundai Veloster (I swear i remember hearing the early models were maintenance nightmares....)

he'll be keeping the vibe, as a secondary vehicle. he still absolutely loves it, and for the $5k wrecked and slapped back together heap it is, it's been fantastic over the last 6 years/70-80k mi
Honestly, if he was wanting to part with it, it would be a great project/first car for my 14yr old nephew and his dad to fix up.

I owned a Veloster. It was nice and reliable but wouldn't be my first choice. And yes, member earlyre is correct, the early examples had many issues.

My choices:

Mazda3
Ford Focus
Hyundai Accent
Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe
Honda Civic
KIA Rio

A ford focus is a good and cheap car, and can be fun in the 5spd versions. They have good reliability and have some comforts. I also like the Honda Fit that my wife drives its sporty and reliable but I prefer my old focus to it as it has more power. The focus was better and more comfortable on longer trips while the Fit was better in the city, and can fit a ton of stuff with the folding seats. Both are recommended for hatchbacks even a ford fiesta but they are quite small on the inside even compared to the fit

Mazda 5 has terrible resale due to mini minivan form that is really a hatchback. Decent to drive and great space with seats folded down and easy access due to sliding door.

When I saw the title I was going to recommend a Pontiac Vibe if you can find one!

Economical, simple, reliable and super easy DIY maintenance. Awesome ride they are not IMO.

Originally Posted By: Bzab32
A ford focus is a good and cheap car, and can be fun in the 5spd versions. They have good reliability and have some comforts. I also like the Honda Fit that my wife drives its sporty and reliable but I prefer my old focus to it as it has more power. The focus was better and more comfortable on longer trips while the Fit was better in the city, and can fit a ton of stuff with the folding seats. Both are recommended for hatchbacks even a ford fiesta but they are quite small on the inside even compared to the fit

+1000000000

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I like the Kia Soul.

Drove one recently as a rental. It felt awfully like a penalty box, but maybe because it being a rental it was some base version.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I like the Kia Soul.

Drove one recently as a rental. It felt awfully like a penalty box, but maybe because it being a rental it was some base version.

My neighbor picked up a relatively loaded one cheap/used and says its a penalty box. They are dropping $100k/year in tuition between college and local prep school. I think she is embarrassed to drive it.

Mazda 3 hatches can be had cheap. You can find a pretty new model 2011+ for that price range. That would be my vote.

If i were him i'd keep driving the Vibe and saving money for a 2016+ Golf. (2016 for the better infotainment) If the Vibe is in ok shape today it will probably last a few more years at least, and it won't take long for VW resale value to kick in and once they start coming off leases they will be dirt cheap. The Golf is like a Vibe with exterior style, interior quality, way more power, and still 25% better MPG.

2nd Choice: Mazda 3, especially if your friend doesn't care if its a bit slow.

i really don't like the $10k used car range. i would rather go to brand new or down to like 3-6k. If you drop 10k on a used car that someone really messed up the maintenance on or abused somehow its a much bigger disaster than a $3k lemon.

Starting in 2012 Hyundai redesigned the Accent with a stronger steel frame. It's surprisingly roomy inside for a subcompact. The 2012+ Accent has more hip and leg room than some larger compacts. I had one and liked it, overall. It handled well and had good brakes. Check it out.

+1 and also give the Elantra GT a good look. It's a hatch and styling IMO isn't quite as over the top as other hyundais. My friend picked one up and was surprised and impressed with the interior.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Mazda 3?

Some reading:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/hatchbacks-1/

looking over that list, quite a few of my "kneejerk" choices are there there.
Fit, Mazda 3, xB, Fiesta, and even Impreza.(which interestingly, a co-worker's mom has an Impreza Wagon od that vintage she is thinking of parting with in the next year or so...

Last edited:
Kia Forte 5. My son has the 2015 model. Lots of room, good FE, and fun to drive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back