Upgrading brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Hey everyone I am considering upgrading the brakes on my dart. Would a set of performance pads and rotors make a noticeable difference? Anyone that has done this on there car what did you notice after you did it? Thanks everyone.

Actually, higher performance tires should be your first upgrade.
Better rubber will allow you to get the most out of your current brakes.

Then you can start thinking about upgraded brake pads.

BC.

Once did some slotted rotors that were a direct size replacement, mated to some EBC Green Stuff pads and dot 5 fluid. didnt change the hoses but the improvement was amazing......back in the days of driving like a lunatic.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Hey everyone I am considering upgrading the brakes on my dart. Would a set of performance pads and rotors make a noticeable difference? Anyone that has done this on there car what did you notice after you did it? Thanks everyone.

OP, i know you work hard for your money, so you won't hear from me the financial advice!
before doing anything, can you check if you local dealer is OCD about other than OEM stuff for warranty purposes?
if OK (double confirm please, verbal agreement is worth the paper is written on), than i would go the BISCUT suggestion-way as a start, then when you get into more money upgrade the pistons.
if i where you , i would also also check on a dart forum, filtering the ricer-crowd out.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Actually, higher performance tires should be your first upgrade.
Better rubber will allow you to get the most out of your current brakes.
Then you can start thinking about upgraded brake pads.
BC.

What he said, taken also as before step of my previous post.
i forgot to ask if you are on OEM shoes/rubber?

OP,
[off-topic]
are you after a more pleasant/sportier ride or you just want some performance/track time?
if the later, you can give your new car to wife (shiver, i know the horror)
and play with the cruiser (if money allow):
-turbo
-bigger/better cooling system
-trans cooler
-wood sticker all around the vehicle (don't worry, logic is coming bellow)
-take a golf cross and beat that thing around!!! you are looking for the golf ball type of surface (has been done with some short/limited run motorcycle helmets)
-the reason for all-above is for you to have the perfect sleeper; the one where you still have smoke coming out of your tires and the cops still pass you = nah - that's not possible from that old car....
if the first, disregard all post
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: Olas
If there's enough space inside the wheel, you can look to other models within the same marque. If there is a faster Dart than yours, maybe it has bigger brakes that could potentially swap straight in - should be a lot cheaper than going to Wilwood et al.
At the other end of the scale, higher friction rated pads make a difference but nowhere near as much as bigger discs/calipers.

Yup, this was the direction I tried to point him the last time we discussed this. See if there was a factory upgrade option that would be a direct-swap or if there was an SRT upgrade kit available.

Originally Posted By: BMOC
Waste of money on an econobox imho. Money is better spent elsewhere. However, it's not my money.

+1 Its an econobox, not a sports car.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Just drive it and put money in your savings account instead for when the warranty expires.

+1 like a new transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back