Is ATF an oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I need help settling a debate. I have always been under the impression that ATF, even though it is called "fluid", is really an oil. As far as I know, ATF is a chain of hydrocarbons, and hydrocarbon chains are oils.

Correct? Wrong? Bueller?

So, the last time I was working on my car, after performing a motor oil and ATF change, I mixed the two together and took them over to Autozone to recycle. One Autozone employee told me that no, I couldn't mix the two together, but then another employee agreed with me and said yes you can, so I dumped it in the barrel and went on my happy way. After telling that story to a friend, he agreed with the first employee that no, you can't mix ATF with motor oil. I have been arguing that yes, you can, because they are both oils.

Have I been misinformed?

It's all made from petroleum. It's all oil. I mix motor oil, ATF, gear oil, and power steering fluid in my waste oil containers all the time.

Thank you. I knew I was right.

It's funny, as stupid of a question as this is, even with the power of Google I couldn't find a straight answer to it.

You can say that atf isnt as Good lubricant oil as engine oils are because of its low viscosity, low lubricity, lacking the slippery aspect, when compared with an economy fuel conservative EO. Different add pack and low in FM. It is an oil as any hydrocarbon hidrophilic substance, but itoh, has a better power transmitter hydraulic fluid properties and greater soluability.

Last edited:
Mixing is totally fine. ATF is basically like motor oil with a different add pack and different viscosity.

Automatic Transmission Fluid is a Liquid Lubricant.

As such, and since liquid lubricants are considered oils, then an ATF is an oil.

Hows that for a neerdy explanation???

I consider it oil. Is lubricant not equal to oil?

Brake fluid and coolant I say no, but.....
What about gasoline?

Is it an 'oil'? It is derived from petroleum/a.k.a. Crude oil......

Kerosene=lamp oil

There is a line between lubricant and solvent. If you use to clean and it volatizes, you can call it a solvent.
How is that for a nerdy one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back