Question-Buying from a rental agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Oldsmobile Intrigue which was a rental car from Hertz. Extremely high miles. The car was only a year old with 32000 miles. It only had 4000 miles of warranty left. Lots of bumps and bruises for a car only 1 year old, but crazy great deal. Kept it for 120,000 miles trouble free with just regular maintinence. I usually buy company program cars or lease returns and have had good luck. I can't believe how people abuse rental cars. The guy that redlined a car in sub zero temperatures with 37 miles on the car is just a plain piece of trash. I treat all equipment as if it were my own. I have probably had as many new vehicles as most and bought them all. Guess that is why I respect equipment, I know what they cost.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The guy that redlined a car in sub zero temperatures with 37 miles on the car is just a plain piece of trash.

It wasn't me but it most likely won't hurt a thing. Look at videos on how they torture test engines. Precisely that - subzero start right to redline. And then there is the computer that will limit things if it truly gets out of control.

How many old school engines would, on a cold start with full choke immediately rev to 2k RPM? My old Mustang with a carb would. I beat the snot out of that car. It had 2 throttle settings - idle or WOT. Cold or hot. Still started right up at 175k and ran as well as an 88hp car could.

That sort of stuff won't hurt much. It's the stuff like the viedo posted of the reverse bombs in a minivan, the God knows what the rental Camaro/Mustang/Challenger went through, the "Rental Car Olympics" type of stuff that scares me. Or the rental minivan where there probably is still 100 lbs of kid puke and whatnot in the crevices.

Last edited:
I drive rentals as if they were my own. Not to be all wholesome or anything, but do unto others...you know the rest. Some poor soul will eventually buy that car. Remember to always be kind to others. FWIW my 2015 Cruze was a formal rental but only had 2,500 miles on it. It was used as a dealer service loaner.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: bvance554

You're wrong. You have to be 25, so watch who you call dumb.

You are wrong....

Enterprise:
Quote:
The minimum age to rent vehicle is 21 years of age. See exceptions below
A 'Young Renter Fee' may be applied to your rental if you are between the ages of 21 and 24.
If you wish to know the cost of the 'Young Renter Fee' you may begin the reservation process to determine the exact amount of the fee for the location (please remember you will have the option to confirm or cancel the reservation).
Renters 21 through 24 years of age may only rent Economy through Full-size cars

Hertz:
Quote:
What is the minimum age I can rent a car with Hertz?

On most rentals the minimum age is 25 without an additional Age Differential Charge, and 20 with an additional Age Differential Charge. Minimum rental age in MS is 21, MI & NY is 18 and AL & NE is 19. However, the minimum age for all Prestige Collection and Adrenaline Collection® vehicles is 25 years old.

For more information/cost, click on "Reservations" on the navigation menu on the left hand side. Next click on "Qualifications & Requirements". Then enter pickup location, next choose "Age Restrictions and Exceptions" from the topic drop down menu.

Interestingly U-Haul will rent to an 18 year old...

Ok I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back