Old toyota Need shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1988 Toyota pickup 150 K...Just had everything checked... No problems...fellow told me it needed new shocks every 60k....No oil leak from the shocks...I do not 4 wheel...I have 1/4 mile of washboard to get to my home...Just want smooth ride and no Problems with the front/rear end.... What shocks to get?...Toyota?. Do not need super Stuff...Charlie

Every 60K? Do you know how to check your shocks?

My 4Runner is at 155K miles and the shocks are working just fine.

My Honda has got more than that on the shocks and it's doing just fine, too.

How does the truck handle and feel when in brakes? Does the truck float or wallow?

My 31 year old Toyota got it's first new shocks last year.

KYB's, they seem just fine.

I bet at 150k your shocks are OK.

Last edited:
If you need new shocks (and a mile of washboards and dusty conditions like in parts of NM can speed that up), KYB make nice factory replacements. I particularly like the Gas-a-just as a low cost, quality unit. they are about $35 each for that vehicle, and if you don't load the bed A LOT, they also have GR2 models for even less (which are very good shocks and OE on many Toyota and Lexus).

If you are DIY, be prepared to have a torch for heat and lever arm to help break them loose after that long and that many miles.

Toyota generally uses Tokico or KYB from factory so either of those will give similar ride to OEM shocks. Some of the trucks have billstein.

You can't really tell if a shock/strut is good. They will lose performance and still pass the silly bounce test/manual actuation.

Best thing to do is examine your tire wear patterns with some chalk. Look for feather patterns.

Last edited:
If your truck is not bouncy,no leakage, your shocks are fine. If you need them, I would go for the cheapest shocks for your 88. Don't waste your money on expensive shocks. Your springs have the biggest impact on ride quality, not the shocks as some believe.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
If your truck is not bouncy,no leakage, your shocks are fine. If you need them, I would go for the cheapest shocks for your 88. Don't waste your money on expensive shocks. Your springs have the biggest impact on ride quality, not the shocks as some believe.

+1 Do the shake test and if it passes I don't see the necessity. Gabriel (Proguard or Ultra Truck) makes good shocks at a reasonable price. Try rockauto.

There's no way a 28 year old Toyota pickup with 148K wouldn't benefit from new shocks. They don't have to show leakage to be shot. On one hand why spend the money on it if you really can't tell, on the other hand why not treat the old girl. You'll be surprised. The bounce test only shows you if there's no oil at all in them.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Toyota generally uses Tokico or KYB from factory so either of those will give similar ride to OEM shocks. Some of the trucks have billstein.

You can't really tell if a shock/strut is good. They will lose performance and still pass the silly bounce test/manual actuation.

Best thing to do is examine your tire wear patterns with some chalk. Look for feather patterns.
Both are good quality, KYB are easier to find.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
If your truck is not bouncy,no leakage, your shocks are fine.

wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back