1997 Gand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
Found an awesome deal at Auto zone on some Castrol Gold Bottle 10W-30... $4.00 a quart.
Decided to change my 97 oil out in over the weekend. After 7500 miles.
My question is. The oil capacity for that motor is it 5 or 6 quarts ?
Put 5 quarts, not even on the dipstick. Added a 6 th in the cross hatch ?
Then I found a chart on Fordmo that say 5 quarts..

[url=https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/oilchart.pdf

Suppose to be 5 qts, go ahead and drain a quart just to be on the safe side and check the dip stick again.

If you have an oil cooler, it's 5.5 quarts. If not, it's 5 quarts. I would suggest using an FL-820S filter.

How long did you wait after pouring in the oil until you checked the dipstick? It takes a while for all the oil to drain down to the pan.

Without oil cooler it's 5qt, but if like my '98 will read a 1/4 to 1/3 quart low... I never worry about it, dump some in when it gets down to add...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How long did you wait after pouring in the oil until you checked the dipstick? It takes a while for all the oil to drain down to the pan.

This^^^ If engine was cold may take 30-60 minutes to drain back enough to get a accurate reading... I can tell you 100% with six and no cooler, it will be over full...

I don't drive it hard at all. I am not that worried about it. I check the oil very often.
The original question about the oil capacity was from some conflicting information I read.
Owners manual says 5 qts, I also was told at a Ford dealer it required 6 qts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back