What are we all running in our differentials ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my 1979 caddy classics i run what gm put in around 300,000 miles ago in 1979 on the other one that needed axles i run valvoline 80w90

Dropped the 85W140 from the Caprice after my commute home last night, and replaced it with a 75W90 semi-syn, circa 200VI...same trip (25km), and IR gun reads a little over 10C cooler than the 140...68C to 57C

Just swapped out the fluids today.

Front - 75w90 Valvoline Synpower
Rear - 75w140 Mobil 1

Since I swapped out this as well, I feel like bragging.
Trans and Transfer Case - Havoline ATF +4

bumping this --

looking for input for my rear diff - cusco type rs 1.5way clutch rear diff in my '06 evo.

as far as I can tell, redline lightweight shockproof sounds like a winner, but not a lot of people seem to recommend.. uses are autox, road race, and some street.

diff builder has recommended everything from the factory sae90, to 75w140. appreciate the help!

changed the original gear oil in my '06 Cummins at 60k miles, used Valvoline Syn 75W90, changed what i assume was the original gear oil in my '01 Ranger, 139k miles, a few days ago, used Amsoil 75W90 Severe Gear.

Finished a full 100K run on Amsoil 75W110, recently changed over to RL 75W110 will run it another 100K, hopefully the vehicle will last until then.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Dropped the 85W140 from the Caprice after my commute home last night, and replaced it with a 75W90 semi-syn, circa 200VI...same trip (25km), and IR gun reads a little over 10C cooler than the 140...68C to 57C

Shannow,

+1 .... for the 11*C drop in operating temperature .......
thumbsup2.gif

...as a Means to achieve components protection through increased operating viscosity

consequential upon lower oil temperature.

But alas ........ in this case, it's resultant operating viscosity doesn't increase .... instead

it Drops ...... thus offering lower components protection , despite lower operating

temperatures.

Components like roller bearings would've prefer operating viscosities of 86 'ish cSt (with

85W140 @ 68*C) to 52 'ish cSt (with 75W90 @ 57*C)
33.gif

Temperature drop ,in itself, is not an End. Pl don't flame me for generalising.....

Just my $0.02.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

I overfilled the corvette rear with vintage OEM gm gear oil causing the pinion seal to leak so it got a bottle of some cheap stop leak stuff added. Then 15 years of top offs at jiffy lube with bulk oil. Running on slower 50mph back roads I get 210 with the ir gun. I bought 8 quarts of gm grape oil to use in the future in the vette and trans am diff and m/t. The t/a leaks too. If its going to leak, I want it to smell good.

I don't know if 210 is too hot, but this is a 456 gear so the pinion spins fast. It'd be interesting to get a thread going for measuring diff temps.

75w90 GL-5+ Redline hypoid gear oil.....about 5.5 pints.

What does the plus (+) mean?

Also, why is there no hyphen(-) between the 75w and the 90.

It is for a 2500 Chevrolet. It may be time to visit the dealer and get 'proper' or approved fluid(s).

Last edited:
I put supertech semi syn 75w90 in my 04 Silverado 1500. It has about 10k miles on the gear oil and 185k miles on the truck. My truck runs smooth.

Valvoline conventional 80w-90 + CRC traction lock additive in the Camaro's Auburn.

Never changed the diff fluid on my Lincoln.

In my '96 F350:
Rear - Valvoline synthetic 75W140 (w/'08 Ford aluminum dif cover)
Front - Valvoline synthetic blend 80W90

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
Redline 75W-90 in the rear diff of the 93 Volvo.

Removed the Redline 75W-90. The new pinion seal started leaking within 4,000 miles. Replaced pinion seal, dust cover, nut etc. and added Shell Spirax HD 80W-90 conventional. Diff is bone dry after 15,000 + miles and significantly more quiet. So maybe synthetic isn't a better choice in this application?

Redline 75W-90 in the rear diff of the 93 Volvo.

Removed the Redline 75W-90. The new pinion seal started leaking within 4,000 miles. Replaced pinion seal, dust cover, nut etc. and added Shell Spirax HD 80W-90 conventional. Diff is bone dry after 15,000 + miles and significantly more quiet. So maybe synthetic isn't a better choice in this application?

I believe it's the higher operating viscosity of mineral 80W90 that makes the difference in your case.
A typical 75W90 tends to deliver lower operating viscosity , and thus .....

Changed out what I assume was the original gear oil in my '01 Ranger (2 wheel drive) and refilled with some free Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90 that i got about 3 years ago. Very particular as I went through the unnecessary step of torquing the diff cover bolts in 2 stages, first to 16 ft lbs and then 33 ft lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back