GDI engine's and motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had a few Q's about GDI engine's and motor oil.

1. why on some GDI motors you can use reg oil (like hyundia, kia and fords) and GM and others require a more premium oil?

2. any benefit on running an EP oil in them vs a reg full synthetic?

3. is there any preventive maintenance on GDI motors? (like my manuel for my Malibu says to use top tier fuel)

"warm up" injector will relieve you of the need for 'special' oil.
EP vs reg, EP will have a more stable oil, lower noack to produce less oil vapor to deposit through PCV.
To maintain, top end cleaning.
I have not done the cleaning yet, but will soon, and so far only have been doing infrequent Italian tune ups. Will post results of the tune up when I get to the top end cleaning
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
"warm up" injector will relieve you of the need for 'special' oil.
EP vs reg, EP will have a more stable oil, lower noack to produce less oil vapor to deposit through PCV.
To maintain, top end cleaning.
I have not done the cleaning yet, but will soon, and so far only have been doing infrequent Italian tune ups. Will post results of the tune up when I get to the top end cleaning
smile.gif

1."warm up injector?"
2. so ep has lower noack? such as mobil1 ep?
3. I've heard of top end cleaning kind of.

Last edited:
The EP is for extended oil change intervals it is not necessarily a better oil.There is blow by that makes the oils NOACK meaningless as far as deposit contribution.

To me EP just means a higher TBN, and so a longer OCI.

Of course a good EP oil can be more than that, I'm thinking of Euro Long-Life oils with MB229.5 & BMW LL-01 in particular. But it could just mean a bit higher TBN for some oils.

Thats why....
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3981454/GDI-Turbo,_LSPI;_Chevron_-_Orn#Post3981454

Plus cleaner valves...if you are using low saps oils...

A warmup injector is placed in the manifold for cold start/ hogh load situations. Found in the is350 lexus, a di motor w/out carbon plague. The is 250 does not have it, and has carbon issues.
I never said noack was a fix, just one more thibg that can reduce the buildup.

Ep will have more pao base, inheritantly having a lower noack value

Toyota engineers are on record as saying the extra injector is for part throttle cylinder filling issues. Porsche and other GDI mfgrs have said these issues are tough to solve with DI. It is not for warm up. Nor was it intended to clean anything.

Many DI engines have zero issues. So some mfgrs seem to have solved the problem with excessive deposits. Yet some have not. Draw your own conclusions...

I recently bought an 015' Optima gdi 2.4. It was loud for a 4cylender with the factory fill. I broke the engine in with the factory fill. Once the motor had 2500miles on it I drained the factory fill and changed it out with PP0w20. The motor quieted down, and accelerates smoother. I'm a believer in PP oil.

I was wrong about the warm up injector, meaning it does not work (IS250 does have one).
The 350 is port+direct injected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back