Upgrading brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone I am considering upgrading the brakes on my dart. Would a set of performance pads and rotors make a noticeable difference? Anyone that has done this on there car what did you notice after you did it? Thanks everyone.

If you mean bigger rotors yes, but if the oem rotors are still in good condition you can try upgrading to a set of pads with a GG friction rating. If they make a bendix CQ pad in your size those are very nice.

My second choice would be Wagner thermo quiet which is usually GG also.

No it won't, you would need a larger surface area (larger rotors) and you would need to change the caliper type...ie go to a 4 piston. Drilled and slotted rotors are designed to cool quickly and shave off glaze from the pad...for extreme high heat applications. While re-pop companies make all sorts of claims...they are bunk. Changing to after market *performance* pads and rotors of the size will change nothing except the amount of brake dust that gets on your wheels.

EBC Ultimax are awesome too. Also if you're upgrading friction ratings it's possible to get more power from the stock brakes, like if you're replacing FF pads with GG

Exactly why do you want to upgrade your brakes? Are you going to track your car or is there some money burning a hole in your pocket? I sound just like my dad.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Exactly why do you want to upgrade your brakes? Are you going to track your car or is there some money burning a hole in your pocket? I sound just like my dad.

+1.

Big brake kits exist, and some people are able to just swap brake systems from a car that has the same mounting system.

But you're looking at thousands for what benefit?

I do braided stainless lines on all my cars. The '14 Mustang has Stoptech lines, my 95 is in the process of getting Maximum Motorsports ones, and my S60R had some euro brand I forget who because it has been 8+ years since I did it. I also put Speed Bleeders on every corner. The pedal feel is awesome when done right. Also using a DOT 4LV fluid will let your ABS system work as well as possible with having the higher boiling point.

+1 on braided lines. Coupled with ceramic pads (if not OE), this gives a really nice improvement if tracking the vehicle is not the goal.

He's going to change the MT fluid for better shifts and get some better brake pads. You'll have a real hot rod on your hands soon.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
EBC Ultimax are awesome too. Also if you're upgrading friction ratings it's possible to get more power from the stock brakes, like if you're replacing FF pads with GG

Beat me too it! I was going to mention EBC. I went with EBC green and slotted/drilled rotors all around on the 07 Maxima. Made a big difference compared to the aftermarket cheapos that were on it. I also put the EBC green and slotted/drilled rotors up front on the 04 F150 and it was a big improvement. My 04 F150 would tear up front brake and rotors pretty quickly.

Waste of money on an econobox imho. Money is better spent elsewhere. However, it's not my money.

I would save the money for the payments you likely are making....Its vastly more expensive to upgrade an existing car then get the upgrades installed by the factory.

Typically these "performance brakes" have caveats like noise/squeaks etc in real world driving. I have driven a "peformance" clutch in a Subaru turbo car and found my leg/foot aching to the heaviness.

Don't bother.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Hey everyone I am considering upgrading the brakes on my dart. Would a set of performance pads and rotors make a noticeable difference? Anyone that has done this on there car what did you notice after you did it? Thanks everyone.

It wasn't that long ago you were complaining about money being short, and you were having issues paying utility bills as well as your wife's 400 dollar speeding ticket. I would suggest, rather than dumping money into something as meaningless as "upgrading" brakes or other vehicle "mods", you focus your efforts on getting your financial house in order.

Even for autocross, your brakes are fine. Its really only on a track day that you'd need an upgrade to keep the brakes from fading.
A simple pad swap should make the brakes feel different with more initial bite, but that's as far as I would go, to have any sort of decent bang/buck ratio for just driving on the street.

If there's enough space inside the wheel, you can look to other models within the same marque. If there is a faster Dart than yours, maybe it has bigger brakes that could potentially swap straight in - should be a lot cheaper than going to Wilwood et al.
At the other end of the scale, higher friction rated pads make a difference but nowhere near as much as bigger discs/calipers.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back