Disappointed with Accord after one Salt Exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your concern and wouldn't be happy one bit. My wheel locks have held up much better than that, which is really odd. I'm assuming most of them are from only one of the two brands I know of, so one should expect similar results, given that they're not afraid of salt here, either.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Sand does not melt snow and ice. It does clog up storm sewers, deposits in downstream waterbodies, and accumulates in a big mess on the shoulder and eventually fills road ditches. It also results in more chips and dings in paint (I know, its not corrosive , right?) and windshields. On top of that, it can cause a considerable amount of dust if left on the road after the snow and ice is gone. (This is the reason that in many places street sweepers were out as soon as possible after the need for the sand was gone - Denver is a good example of where this was very common). It also can cause an adverse impact on traction after the snow and ice is gone. (Like driving on Marbles)

We do use sand in our arsenal. We use it in very cold conditions where any economical deicer will not work (generally when temps are (or will be shortly) well below zero. We also use it in freezing rain. In both cases, it is only a traction aid, and not a deicer in any sense.

It is definitely not a use it and forget it type of material. More of a use it, then start cleaning it up as soon as possible, then spend another few weeks cleaning it all up when the season is over. Cheap to put down, not so much on the backside.

However, if people drove cars properly equipped for conditions where the road was not down to a bare surface as quickly (like snow tires), limited use of sand would be much more practical.

When I lived in Dallas, the city spread sand after ice storms (only saw snow once). The mess left in the spring could be unbelieveable, inches of sand piled up on roadsides and the spots in intersections that typically didn't see tires. Seemed like the city only had a handfull of street sweepers and it took a long time for the impromptu beaches to get cleaned up.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
VW/Audi has a 12 year, unlimited mileage rust through warranty. Worth something in the super salty NE Ohio.

Assuming they stand behind it. They didn't for me.

The car did hold up quite well, just not in a couple of problem areas.

Originally Posted By: supton
VW/Audi has a 12 year, unlimited mileage rust through warranty. Worth something in the super salty NE Ohio.

What was the story on that anyways? They use the paint chip excuse?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

What was the story on that anyways? They use the paint chip excuse?

Didn't take care of it, or wash it. I'd have to look it up. Didn't get anything in writing, and didn't feel like fighting--figured if I had to fight, then they'd just do it wrong.

Mind you, the fenders were under recall for the issue, and it was the rear hatch rusting at a pinch weld.

I could tell I was going to get denied when the service adviser (? manager?) went out to take photos. Once he heard the milage (276k IIRC) his eyes glossed over and I knew I was sunk.

Didn't take care of it, or wash it. I'd have to look it up. Didn't get anything in writing, and didn't feel like fighting--figured if I had to fight, then they'd just do it wrong.

Mind you, the fenders were under recall for the issue, and it was the rear hatch rusting at a pinch weld.

I could tell I was going to get denied when the service adviser (? manager?) went out to take photos. Once he heard the milage (276k IIRC) his eyes glossed over and I knew I was sunk.

Why didn't you at least call VWoA and get them involved, it would have been worth a try and it wouldn't have cost you a dime.

I wouldn't say VW didn't take care of it, because you didn't actually contact them, but instead expected a typical $tealership to make good.
wink.gif

I don't understand why the USA is so averse to the Canadian style rustproofing. I live close enough that I go to Canada just for rustproofing.

That looks exactly what my focus looked like after the first winter. I'm pretty sure surface rust and salt residue is perfectly normal if you drive in an area where there is salting of the roads.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Why didn't you at least call VWoA and get them involved, it would have been worth a try and it wouldn't have cost you a dime.

I wouldn't say VW didn't take care of it, because you didn't actually contact them, but instead expected a typical $tealership to make good.
wink.gif

VW currently is begging for customers I would imagine they'd be helping anyone who paid attention.....I noticed locally very few (temporary) paper red plates on VW's since their flub up which seems to have no solution still...They were wildly popular before in my locale along with Subaru which still is.

I really do not think there is anything to worry about here. The control arm looks to be cast iron, so no worries in that rusting through. I've never heard of an aluminum transmission corroding through leading to failure, or would worry about surface rust on a strut. Now I saw a silver 2011 Surburban LT at work that had tons of surface rust around the spare tire and trunk floor that made me cringe. I double checked the registration sticker and it was a 2011. Ouch.
I'm sure your Honda will last as long as you want before it rusts away. I think it's best when people just buy the car, drive it without worry and trade it in and start over. No worries, no concerns. Put gas in it and and go. But I'm not like that either....

I watch a youtube channel called south main auto and the guy their claims that most cars in the north are about ready for the junkyard once they're about a 2006-2007 model due to rust

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

wink.gif

Would have cost me time. I didn't want to deal with a fight. In some ways too I had given up on the car.

I also didn't want to get into a fight with a dealer and then have them begrudgingly do sub-standard work.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I watch a youtube channel called south main auto and the guy their claims that most cars in the north are about ready for the junkyard once they're about a 2006-2007 model due to rust

When a car from the salt belt is ~10 years old it most likely has rust beginning to form in areas (quarters, bottom of doors, etc.) but it certainly isn't ready for the junkyard. I live in Minnesota and there are a lot 10+ year old cars on the road. I don't think south main auto knows a lot about the north.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back