SAAB 9-3 Viggen Oil Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume an engine like this will have piston oil squirters. Some piston oil squirters have spring-loaded valves in them, and do not permit oil to be squirted onto the pistons until the pressure reaches a certain level. I've heard of springs in these things (in a Toyota 7M-GTE) getting weak and flowing too much oil at idle, thus lowering oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I would not get excited at 15 psi idle... I'd only make sure it had higher pressure at road speeds.... Saab motors don't die easily.

And when boosted, they make a lot of smiles. Drive it and enjoy the ride
smile.gif

Thanks! I think I'll try the oil thermostat thing, but I fully intend to drive this car as much as possible.

I am looking into oil temperature gauges as well, but it may have to be a temporary install as I am out of dash space. It seems like they are able to thread into the oil drain plug, but I need to do some research to ensure I get the correct sender for my oil pan.

Originally Posted By: Skid
I assume an engine like this will have piston oil squirters. Some piston oil squirters have spring-loaded valves in them, and do not permit oil to be squirted onto the pistons until the pressure reaches a certain level. I've heard of springs in these things (in a Toyota 7M-GTE) getting weak and flowing too much oil at idle, thus lowering oil pressure.

Good point. This has been mentioned in some oil pressure threads, but not sure if anyone actually checked them. I realize that I forgot to look at them! I will have to take a look next time I take the pan off.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd go for the M1 15W50. I did a "freezer" test years ago with this oil vs a famous high end 20W50 synth. The differences were astounding. In actuality this 20W50 synth performed worse with the freezer test vs GTX 20W50. Very unscientific test,but fun and interesting nonetheless
smile.gif

That's a cool experiment!

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Without an analysis, or coolant/oil temp data, we're merely going on supposition and guesswork here.

With that said, a couple of points...

Maintaining 15 PSI would be fine.

People tend to have a knee-jerk reaction to xW-50, but get all befuddled when you throw actual info their way: If your oil temp is up to 115°C (which is entirely plausible, given the turbo, thermostat setting, and catalytic converter location), that 14.2 cSt 5w-40 has fallen all the way down to 10.45 cSt.

I wouldn't have a problem with you running Mobil 1 15w-50. At 115°C, it's @ 13 cSt, which is much closer to where we'd like to be.

I have ordered an oil temperature gauge with a sender that will thread into my oil drain, so I should have sump temperatures once I actually get the time to install it.

As for coolant temperature: I noticed that my radiator fan was not kicking on as much as I would expect it to in traffic. The oil pressure would drop to just under 10psi, then the fan would kick in and it would go back up to 12 psi or so. I finally plugged in my obdII scan too and saw that coolant temp was getting up to 235F before the fans kicked in... It turns out that my low speed fan resistor is likely failed. I have ordered a new one and it comes in tomorrow.

The fans come on any time the A/C is being used too. So when you are in traffic, just put the heater into normal mode with the cabin fan on low and the temp comfortable for the occupants. It will run the A/C (to dehumidify the air) and because teh A/C is running so will the fans
smile.gif

I know it's counter intuitive, but Saab's stay cooler in traffic with the A/C working ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back