VOA on two cST@40 automatic tranmission oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for an alternative oil for my race powerglide tranmission. My concern is with the antiware additive package. I lab tested virgin samples of what I have been using and the alternate.
The one I have used for 10 years, that worked well, but the cost has goten out of sight (call it brand R) is:
167 Calcium
612 Phoshorous
806 Zinc

The alternate oil, that has the same cSt Viscosity at 40 and 100C:
47 Calcium
180 Phoshorous
238 Zinc

I was looking on BITOG site for some VOA's for a Type F and Mercoid ATF, to see how weak weak can be for the aditive package. It would be a big help if a big or more frequent user, can help me find them???

Obviously the alternate oil is a 1/3 or less with the antware additives, but I'm not sure if the one I was using was overkill?

Quick, just name the oil brands.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I have never seen so much zinc in atf. It's usually none.

Not for a Type "F." You're thinking of run-of-the-mill ATF's like the Dexron's and Mercon's.

Quote:
167 Calcium
612 Phoshorous
806 Zinc

This for a highly treated Type "F" racing fluid.

My Type "F" ATF's are treated to these average levels:

250 ppm Calcium
500 ppm Phoshorous
600 ppm Zinc

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I was not looking for a race type F or Mercon just normall off the shelf passange car lube. Like Costal Type F. I have used that and understand how it worked.
http://www.warrenoil.com/msds-spec/msds/coastal/TypeFATF.pdf

I just wanted to see other VOA's so I could see the typicals for the additive package.

I did see, after pages of search, a VOA on a Honda and Kia ATF.

Honda (ppm)
65 Calcium
412 Phoshorous
536 Zinc

Kia (ppm)
270 Calcium
366 Phoshorous
1 Zinc
89 Boron

thanks

Originally Posted By: quick_16
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I was not looking for a race type F or Mercon just normall off the shelf passange car lube. Like Costal Type F. I have used that and understand how it worked.
http://www.warrenoil.com/msds-spec/msds/coastal/TypeFATF.pdf

Your response here does not quite link to your original question/comment.

Originally Posted By: quick_16
I'm looking for an alternative oil for my race powerglide tranmission.

You should be looking for Type F fluids if you are needing fluids for a racing transmission such as a modified PowerGlide or TH350 or TH400.

Coastal Type F is a consideration for racing transmissions but the better Type F's are the one's from Amsoil (SuperShift) and Redline (Racing ATF (Type F)).

Off the shelf passenger car ATF's are NOT suitable for racing transmissions.

AND, SDS' do not tell you what are in ATF's or any other fluid or lube.

Last edited:
Well I wanted to share I found a good solution. I talked to the Lubrication engineer at Miles and he's was sending me the additive to double the anti-ware package for free.
He said a gal of its $28 so I'll get the too. It's way less than the cost of the oil I'm moving from so I'm happy.

MalaKule,
I think I may not of been clear. I wanted to looks at the Coastal Type F VOA after you asked what I wanted to see. I also said I have been using a Hydraulic oil for a long time without any issues less the recent costs are unreasonable and what is driving my change.
Thank you for trying to help

What does the VOA of the hydraulic fluid you're using show in terms of phos and zinc?

You can't willy nilly goes adding additives unless you know what your base composition looks like. You can easily overtreat if you don't keep track of the elements.

The following range of additive levels for an ATF are more than sufficent for a racing transmission.

150-250 ppm Calcium
450-650 ppm Phoshorous
450-600 ppm Zinc

Your viscosity should be 7.1 to 7.5 cSt at 100C and 40 to 50 cSt at 40C.

Why are you using hydraulic fluids instead of Type F ATF's?

Quote:
I also said I have been using a Hydraulic oil for a long time without any issues less the recent costs are unreasonable and what is driving my change.

Nowhere in this thread did say you were using hydraulic oils.

Why not use a formulated synthetic ATF Type F instead of experimenting with this stuff?

Last edited:
Actually I thought as the only responder you may of remembered my 1st try and some technical help that you responded to.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nd_#Post3991680

The fact is the use of Hydraulic oil in a race transmission like I use (dragrace powerglide with Torque converter) is a well-known option and not an experiment. After a decade in my race car is has been unbelievable compared to other “ATF” tried.
My goal here was to find a replacement one that costs less but is capable.

With almost 60,000 members and a half million posts, why should I remember a vague post over a month ago?

We use synthetic Type F ATF's in our racing transmissions and it is more cost effective than some high priced Royal Slurple hydraulic fluid.

We have had zero failures due to Type F lubricant use. Others have tried various hydraulic fluids and have had burnt clutches due to excessive wet-clutch slippage because of the friction modifiers present in hydraulic fluids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back