Towing an automatic, rear-wheel drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to have an old Toyota Corona Wagon towed. It's a rear-wheel drive automatic. It's currently parking in a public lot, so doing things like jacking it up and disconnecting the drive shaft probably aren't feasible.

Is there an issue towing in neutral with the rear wheels down?

Thanks.

A short tow of about 8 miles killed the C6 transmission in my 75 LTD pump isn't circulating. OTOH the Getrag 4hp 22 towed under 35 MPH survived Maybe adding a qt or 2 ATF just for the trip would help, but that is a wild guess.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Hal9000
Is there an issue towing in neutral with the rear wheels down?

Every car that I've owned gives limitations for flat-towing an automatic in the owner's manual, have you looked there? It's very specific to the vehicle.

But the quick answer is "yes".

Originally Posted By: 55Test
Would it be possible to tow it with the rear raised and the front wheels on the ground?
Either this, removing the driveshaft, or towing on a flatbed.

Thanks gentleman (and any ladies). I'll ask the tow company if they are willing to tow front-wheels down, and if not request a flat-bed.

Originally Posted By: andyd
A short tow of about 8 miles killed the C6 transmission in my 75 LTD pump isn't circulating. OTOH the Getrag 4hp 22 towed under 35 MPH survived Maybe adding a qt or 2 ATF just for the trip would help, but that is a wild guess.
grin2.gif

Ack, that sucks. Sorry. Sounds like a cool car though
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Most tow company's will just send a rollback out

I agree. None of the tow places here have the old-style tow trucks. They say the liability is too high using those.

Even with a regular tow truck, they should keep a set of dollies on it to put under the rear wheels. Every one I've ever seen has them. Just takes a little longer to set up, where a rollback is simple and quick.

Most older rear-drive American cars said right in the owners manual that towing was OK for short distances (under ~10 miles) as long as tow speed was kept low (under ~30 mph). The risk of damage is that you have a stack of clutch disks spinning disengaged against their plates, and without the engine running there's no fluid bath to keep them from generating a bit of heat, even though they're not being applied hard (there's always a little drag with clutch packs, even when disengaged).

No idea about a Toy of that vintage, though.

Yup, flatbed or front wheels.

and:

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Most tow companies will just send a rollback out

Fixed it for you.

Last edited:
I did a fairly short tow years ago with my RWD El Camino tires blown from a road hazard. I wanted the pump pumping so we went 40-50 mph with it in neutral with the engine idling=no problem.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I did a fairly short tow years ago with my RWD El Camino tires blown from a road hazard. I wanted the pump pumping so we went 40-50 mph with it in neutral with the engine idling=no problem.

That's a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back