2014 f150 coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have looked around and my book says that my 2014 f150 5.0 uses the specialty orange but the fluid in the truck is pink? Is the factory fill the same chemical make up as the orange?

Originally Posted By: Branson304
The orange turns pink when you add water. Haha Ford Orange is DEXCOOL by the way.

Isn't it G-05 coolant?

Originally Posted By: Farmer
The orange turns pink when you add water. Haha Ford Orange is DEXCOOL by the way.

Isn't it G-05 coolant?

G05 is yellow.

Originally Posted By: Farmer

Isn't it G-05 coolant?

Nope, most of the fleet switched over in 2011. Ford orange coolant IS Dexcool, the old part number bottles actually had a GM copyright on them.

All of my Fords use the Orange AKA DexCool except for my older Fusion, which uses the yellow G05. When it comes time for a coolant change, don't overpay at a dealer for "Motorcraft Specialty Orange." Just go pick up some Prestone GM DexCool on the Walmart shelf.
cool.gif

Luckily enough I have a jug of the specialty orange left over from a flush I did for someone just wasn't sure since it's a pretty big color difference just wanted to make sure

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
15 is orange as well.......
Yep; on both sides of the Ford truck aisle. F-250 and F-350--gas and diesel use orange. I will be testing mine soon to see how it is holding up (I have a refractometer to test with).

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Yep; on both sides of the Ford truck aisle. F-250 and F-350--gas and diesel use orange. I will be testing mine soon to see how it is holding up (I have a refractometer to test with).

You are way ahead of the game having a refractometer. I had a customer with a 6.7L call me yesterday and chew my ear out because a "Check Coolant" warning popped up. I told him he goes to service and they check the pH and either change the coolant, put in an additive, or leave it be. He was using lots of George Carlin's 7 words saying how his truck shouldn't have that and I don't know what I am talking about because his sales person never mentioned it. I just said "sir, it is either in your owner's manual or the diesel supplement." Apparently according to this owner I need to go back to school.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
You are way ahead of the game having a refractometer. I had a customer with a 6.7L call me yesterday and chew my ear out because a "Check Coolant" warning popped up. I told him he goes to service and they check the pH and either change the coolant, put in an additive, or leave it be. He was using lots of George Carlin's 7 words saying how his truck shouldn't have that and I don't know what I am talking about because his sales person never mentioned it. I just said "sir, it is either in your owner's manual or the diesel supplement." Apparently according to this owner I need to go back to school.
People like this should not be driving a vehicle much less a diesel. I did tons of research before deciding to purchase a modern diesel. It will be guys like the one that you describe have a major issue that Chevy/Dodge/Ford will not cover under warranty and he will be the first to bemoan how "terrible" vehicles are and they do not honor their warranties.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
People like this should not be driving a vehicle much less a diesel. I did tons of research before deciding to purchase a modern diesel. It will be guys like the one that you describe have a major issue that Chevy/Dodge/Ford will not cover under warranty and he will be the first to bemoan how "terrible" vehicles are and they do not honor their warranties.

I would have told the guy to buy a Mercedes or BMW instead
smile.gif

It never ceases to amaze me when people buy newish cars and dump in "universal" coolant - while it wouldn't be a problem for a Dex-Cool based system, it might spell trouble for some cars. And I see empty bottles of SuperTech or Prestone AMAM around the Port of Oakland, and I wonder if those truck drivers are getting their SCA checked...

So is it safe to assume that a late model Ford can be topped up with an AMAM like Prestone, Peak, ST etc...?

Originally Posted By: pbm
So is it safe to assume that a late model Ford can be topped up with an AMAM like Prestone, Peak, ST etc...?

I would use the Prestone Dexcool and not the AMAM.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Originally Posted By: pbm

I would use the Prestone Dexcool and not the AMAM.

Some late model Fords, such as our Fusion, use Motorcraft "specialty green", which is identical to the Mazda FL22 coolant; a silicate and borate free coolant, but does have phosphates. The aftermarket equivalent to this is Zerex Asian coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back