Winchester 9mm steel case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone shot any of this?

I finally saw some today at Walmart for $31.97 a box. It's a 150 round pack (brown box). Looks like a 115 grain FMJ rated at 1190 FPS. The price is decent but my go to ammo of late for practice in 9mm is Perfecta (brass) or Federal Aluminum case. Both are still cheaper than this Winchester. I've never had any issues with the Federal or Perfecta so at just under $10 a box it's a great deal right now. I didn't buy any of the Winchester today but I may later this week. Just curious to test it out. I've also been using a lot of the Perfecta .40S&W since Walmart sells that at $13.54 a box. Hard to beat brass cased .40 at that price.

There is only 1 gun range of the 5 or 6 in my vicinity that allows steel cased ammo. The nearest gun range to me doesn't allow aluminum cased ammo even though they sell it.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
There is only 1 gun range of the 5 or 6 in my vicinity that allows steel cased ammo. The nearest gun range to me doesn't allow aluminum cased ammo even though they sell it.

Do they allow you to retrieve your brass? If not I would never go there. They want the brass to sell for scrap. Taking your brass without your permission is theft. In the past, frequenting ranges that wouldn't allow you to police your brass I would only use steel or aluminum cased.

The new steel cased Win. would only be worth while if it was cheaper than brass or aluminum cased ammo, which apparently it is not.

Last edited:
I reload. So any steel, Aluminum, or Berdan primed brass is completely useless to me. I would NEVER shoot at ANY range that would not allow me to retrieve my own brass. That is ridiculous.

We have a range near where I live that won't allow ANY brass to be picked up with no exceptions. Get caught, get kicked out. I've only shot there one time and that was years ago. Voted with my feet.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

What? That's ridiculous. I wouldn't go there either.

Most of my indoor range time is spent shooting the cheap stuff because it's cheap. I will of course shoot HP's when testing a certain gun with a certain ammo but the rest of the time it's a lot of the aluminum case stuff. At my range you are supposed to pick up after yourself. Really you just clean the cases off the floor around where you are standing. You can keep them or toss them into buckets they have sitting there. I don't reload so picking through the empties isn't something I have to do. Seems like it'd be a HUGE pain to do this at the range with others slingin' empties all over as well. Pick up someone else's brass, maybe they get mad. Plus, a bunch of the empties will end up out in front of me into the range sometimes. Can't pick those up.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
We have a range near where I live that won't allow ANY brass to be picked up with no exceptions. Get caught, get kicked out. I've only shot there one time and that was years ago. Voted with my feet.

Wow. Revolver only for that range.

No but I did buy some Monarch steel ammo. Made in Russia. Don't buy it.

Used it in 2 different 9 mm pistols. A Sig Sauer and a Taurus 709.

Had the casings stick in the chamber and not eject from both pistols. Also had 3 misfires out of 50 round box. Would only use it for practice because it might get you shot/killed in a jam

Shot several other brands of 9mm brass ammo and no misfires or failures to eject.

My only advice is to not buy the Monarch steel ammo. Junk in my opinion

Have used the Silver Bear Russian stuff and it all worked well, although it runs dirty as sin.

Have not heard good stuff about Monarch. I have one box but I haven't tried it yet.

I personally would rather have the Federal aluminum for less money than Winchester steel, but it is interesting none the less.

I used to be a huge Winchester White Box fan...I used it as my go to range ammo in a variety of pistol calibers. Tens of thousands of rounds over the years with zero ammunition issues.

But I had three failures to fire out of 200 rounds in a Glock 19 on my last range trip. Good primer hits on all three rounds...so...I wonder about Winchester bringing out a lower cost line of ammo...

I think they need to figure out what's going on with the brass case first...because I just bought 2000 rounds of 9mm plinking/range ammo...and it wasn't Winchester...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wwillson

My favorite indoor range is the polar opposite-they expect you to sweep your brass when you are finished(in fact if they give you a 5 min "buffer" on range fees to allow for this). They don't care if it goes in your bag/can or if it goes in their brass bucket-they just want it off the floor.

I mostly shoot revolvers so my brass stays on the bench, although my two bottom-feeders are in the "valuable brass" category. Specifically, I have a 1911 in 38 Super Auto-and I will chase that all over the range-and an S&W 52 that shoots a flush-seated 38 special wadcutter. I load my wadcutters in wadcutter brass(it is slightly different from regular 38 special brass) and like to keep track of all of it.

On a casual glance, 38 Super is hard to pick out on the floor from 9mm(especially if I'm using the Starline rimless "comp" brass) so I usually just sweep everything in my lane. Occasionally, I get surprises-like 45 Colt if someone's been shooting a Judge-but also tend to end up with a lot of 9mm and 40S&W. The 9mm gets passed along to a friend who reloads it(although only generally for his Luger now that 115gr ball has come down to reasonable levels). I've been saving 40 S&W for a while, and will one day find someone who reloads it that I can give it to
smile.gif

Another range near me has a "on the table it's yours, on the floor it's ours" policy. I rarely go there, but the bottom feeders don't come out when I do visit.

I have a friend who shoots 45 Winchester Magnum and rarely even shoots it at public ranges due to the issue of tracking down brass. He only brings it out for at public ranges for the obnoxious "how fast can I dump a mag" shooters(I have some 357 Magnum 125gr/Win 296 loads for that, along with some "Ruger Only" 45 Colt loads also with Win 296).

I also usually buy Perfecta or Federal aluminum case in 9mm, and saw the "Winchester USA Forged" steel cased stuff at Walmart last time I was there. I almost bought it out of curiosity, but since it's more expensive, why would I choose it over what I know works?

I've been defaulting to Perfecta brass, Blazer brass, or Winchester white box. I never go to real ranges -- just shoot at friends' property, where we set up our own ranges. I generally police my own brass and turn it in to a local reloader for credit. I don't reload myself, so it doesn't matter too much the material of case to me.

If Winchester steel case were cheaper, I'd use it. Since it doesn't appear to be, I have no desire to try it.

Im sure the winchester steel cased stuff is fine, I've shot quite a bit of Tulammo and Wolf in 9mm and i've never had an issue with it. It is a little dirty and not as accurate as the nicer brass stuff.

The aluminum case stuff shoots well, and accurate, but it leaves a ton of tiny aluminum shavings all inside my guns. Not a big deal, but it certainly scores when being fed and ejected.

Perfecta always works great for me in 9mm, but my PPQ in .40 will fail to feed about 1/2 the time with perfecta. I have no idea why. If i switch to Blazer brass, WWB, Federal, Tulammo etc in that same magazine it will run like a sewing machine. I stay away from perfecta in .40S&W.

My favorite budget 9mm cartridges are Armscor Brass 124GR and Blazer brass 115gr. Both of these always shoot great in my 9's and are super accurate. I shoot an SR9c and a Walther PPS in 9. I may pick up a box of the steel Winchester and run some of it to test out.

My Glock 32 seems to eat all the .357sig ive thrown at it.

As far as ranges go i wont shoot at one that wont let me keep my brass. That is silly. If i paid to use the range im going to keep my brass. I do not reload yet, but i do have a nice stash of once fired brass in 9mm and .40S&W, and im starting to accumulate .357 sig albeit at a slower pace lol.

Last edited:
It is a bit silly that a range won't allow you to police your own brass. I mean you purchased the ammo, it is your property, not theirs.

As far as Winchester ammo...I used to shoot quite a bit of white box stuff. However, like a fellow poster I started seeing the quality control slip. So now I buy other ammo in bulk when on sale. As for the issues I had, I do remember one 100 round box of the Winchester White Box where 4 rounds had deformed cases that caused failures to feed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
It is a bit silly that a range won't allow you to police your own brass. I mean you purchased the ammo, it is your property, not theirs.

That is correct. And I can all but guarantee you if you pushed the issue, (in a peaceful fashion of course), until the police arrived, you would leave with your brass because, it is your bought and paid for property. A store cannot lay claim to it by simply posting a sign. Any more than they can claim your car if you park it in their lot. These places are getting ridiculous with their stupid, asinine policies.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

As far as ranges go i wont shoot at one that wont let me keep my brass. That is silly. If i paid to use the range im going to keep my brass. I do not reload yet, but i do have a nice stash of once fired brass in 9mm and .40S&W, and im starting to accumulate .357 sig albeit at a slower pace lol.

If you have plans to reload in the future, saving brass now is very prudent. I saved brass for a year before I started reloading.

If I may make a suggestion-components are(relatively) cheap and available now, although it's a very fluid market and one major crisis causes the same run on components as it does on ammo. Certain things have only recently become reliably available again after a 3 year absence, and even powders like Bullseye can be hit or miss.

So, with that in mind, I'd suggest going ahead and grabbing a few pounds of powder and few bricks of primers here and there. Hodgden CFE Pistol and Alliant Power Pistol are really specifically tailored to the calibers you're loading, but the old standbys like Unique and HS-6 will work well. Alliant's new Power Pistol also looks promising, although load data is limited at this time(I have a pound I haven't opened).

You will need small pistol primers. I have a preference for Federal(esp. the small pistol match primers), although all the major brands(CCI, Federal, Remington, and Winchester) work fine(I've used thousands of all of them). In a pinch, small magnums and even small rifles will work, although you will need to adjust load data and it's best when starting to stick to one brand and type of primer. Finally, it's worth noting that there's one "quirk" of Remington SPPs in that they make a version with a thicker cup specifically for 40 S&W and 357 Sig. I don't know if there's any real-world difference between them, but just know that it's out there.

None of the three local indoor ranges I shoot at allow you to pick up brass. You sweep it forward into the range area.

It kind of makes sense to me, I don't want people scurrying around behind and around me chasing there brass while I shoot.

These ranges are always hot because the targets are on pulleys that you move out and in by power.

I do strategically locate my open range bag on the bench beside me and catch a lot of it that way.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
None of the three local indoor ranges I shoot at allow you to pick up brass. You sweep it forward into the range area.

It kind of makes sense to me, I don't want people scurrying around behind and around me chasing there brass while I shoot.

These ranges are always hot because the targets are on pulleys that you move out and in by power.

I do strategically locate my open range bag on the bench beside me and catch a lot of it that way.

A guy I know uses a small tarp. When he is done shooting, he just wads it all up, empty ammo casings and all and stuffs it in his bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back