Belgian Castrol 0w30 / 2500mi / '04 Volvo S60 2.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my oil early due to having replaced my fuel injectors out of concern that there may be some fuel in my oil. After looking at the UOA it looks like I could have let it go but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've got the 16T turbo from the T5 model on my LPT 2.5T engine, plus several other performance mods and a Stage 3 tune. Had a can of MoS2 in there as well.

Right now I've got Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0w-40 thinned out with one quart of 5WT Redline racing synthetic oil and some Lubro Moly Motor Protect. Planning on doing a UOA on that at 5000 miles.

020816.png

Insolubles are high for the mileage at 0.3%, but the lab detected just 280ppm of moly in the sample after adding a full can of MOS2? Plating all that in 2.5k miles? Ended on filter or poor detection? Id send to rerun

I add a can of MoS2 with every oil change (except the most recent where I added Motor Protect) but I noticed this last OCI that when I added the Redline racing oil, a few days later the oil had lost its characteristic gray color and started looking more like oil without MoS2. The filter was black but there were no visible clumps or anything. Could the Redline oil being an ester cause the MoS2 to fall out of suspension, or do something else weird?

Regarding your insolubles, what kind of shape is your air box in?

I've noticed that for whatever reason they like to warp, thus causing a not so great seal between the top and the bottom. Her S60 2.4t is mildly doing this and I saw a junkyard model doing the same thing.

I will check on that. I recently changed the air filter and everything should be in good shape but I will double check. I have the Snabb intake pipe from the factory airbox to the turbo, and all silicone couplers so everything should be nice and tight. Also I don't drive in very dusty areas often.

I should also note that I have been trying to clean up some mild sludge/varnish over the past few OCI's so that could possibly be part of it there.

Last edited:
If this is the European formula Edge 0w30 then I am very pleased. Because I just got some for $5.50 a qt
smile.gif

Your fuel was 1.5% so its understandable why you changed it early. How much power are you getting out that 2.5?? I bet that it's mad quick.

Originally Posted By: charlesb2003
I will check on that. I recently changed the air filter and everything should be in good shape but I will double check. I have the Snabb intake pipe from the factory airbox to the turbo, and all silicone couplers so everything should be nice and tight. Also I don't drive in very dusty areas often.

I should also note that I have been trying to clean up some mild sludge/varnish over the past few OCI's so that could possibly be part of it there.

I've been doing the same with her car. It's been on a synthetic diet since fall 2014, but I've been using an A3/B3 since about June. Back when I started oil changes, a few pleats would be partially filled with sludge. It appears cleaner now, but I have no idea about the insolubles UOA wise. Just 6 month OCI's which equal about 4.5k.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
If this is the European formula Edge 0w30 then I am very pleased. Because I just got some for $5.50 a qt
smile.gif

Your fuel was 1.5% so its understandable why you changed it early. How much power are you getting out that 2.5?? I bet that it's mad quick.

It is the European formula, what used to be called German Castrol except it's made in Belgium now. My fuel was so high because I had upgraded to larger injectors and drove it like that for a while before getting a retune. I'm at Stage 3 right now, still haven't put it on a dyno yet but I should be close to 300hp, give or take a little. It is pretty quick but still comfy and reliable.

That's awesome there man. 300 HP is doggone good for your car. Mine is 270 stock. Not bad at all. You said something else to that is important and that's its comfortable. A win-win there. That's why I like my Altima 3.5 coupe so much. Looks like an Infiniti G37 a good bit and is comfortable and well appointed inside too. I just put some Belgian Castrol 0w30 in my car. Runs very nice and quiet.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
That's awesome there man. 300 HP is doggone good for your car. Mine is 270 stock. Not bad at all. You said something else to that is important and that's its comfortable. A win-win there. That's why I like my Altima 3.5 coupe so much. Looks like an Infiniti G37 a good bit and is comfortable and well appointed inside too. I just put some Belgian Castrol 0w30 in my car. Runs very nice and quiet.

Yeah Nissan/Infinity have some of the best looking cars on the road, especially the coupes. The new Maxima is a bit extreme looking but it's growing on me. Love the Infiniti G37.

Does yours have those zero gravity seats? Volvo has always been known for their ergonomically designed seats, some of the best in the business, but I've heard good things about the Altima's seats too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back