2013 VW GTI - Engine oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all

I've been reading far too much recently on here and multiple VW oriented forums regarding what engine oil people recommend. I read through the stickies so here we go..

Car is a 2013 VW GTI with 31k on the clock, purchased from new. It's had it's final free service at the local dealer (every 10k) and i'd like to start doing the changes myself and more frequently. I had done a change myself at 15k and then the dealer at 20k but i feel out of habit.

Owners manual states 5W40 and meets the following specs VW 502 00, VW 503 00, VW 504 00. Change intervals of 10k.

Live in Johnstown, PA (east of Pittsburgh, in the mountains)

I commute a 135 mile round trip twice a week, the rest of the week is just driving around town. Spirited driving for the most part.

No known issues on my car, i know my old MK5 (UK model) used to eat oil though.. Actually saying that i did top the oil off not long before it went in for the 30k service. I noticed the oil was low.

I've only really used synthetic oils but open to suggestions, don't mind if it's in a store or i can buy it online etc. I'd like to move to a 5k oil change interval.

Also, would it be an idea to drop the oil pan and clean it out of any [censored] that's in there when i do the next oil change? The wife's uncle has a garage with everything i could dream of in it so it can be done..

Oh one last thing - I used Motul 8100 X-Cess when i did the one change before.

Thanks, any responses appreciated!

Any VW 502.00 approved will do, IMO. Pick the one that's least expensive and/or readily available.

There is some talk about lower SAPS oils being beneficial to minimizing DI carbon deposits. However, apart from Lubrizol, nobody else seems to actually believe it. But if you want, and since you will be doing 5K oil changes, any lower SAPS oil meeting the pertinent VW spec should work as well. M1 ESP 5w-30 is one example.

I'm a very indecisive guy when it comes to oil and anything auto related. But, I feel the best VW502 oil could be Castrol Edge with Titanium 0W40. It's made in Germany, a true PAO synthetic and available in a 5 quart jug for a very good price at Wal-Mart. You might wanna look online to see which Wal-Marts carry it. Castrol has scored number 1 in an oil test regarding the TEOST deposit test when Amsoil tested competing 5W30's. I'm guessing Wastrel's chemistry extends to the 0W40 in this regard also.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm a very indecisive guy when it comes to oil and anything auto related. But, I feel the best VW502 oil could be Castrol Edge with Titanium 0W40. It's made in Germany, a true PAO synthetic and available in a 5 quart jug for a very good price at Wal-Mart. You might wanna look online to see which Wal-Marts carry it. Castrol has scored number 1 in an oil test regarding the TEOST deposit test when Amsoil tested competing 5W30's. I'm guessing Wastrel's chemistry extends to the 0W40 in this regard also.

+ 1 another vote for Castrol Edge 0W-40

I am using Redline 5w40, a true ester based oil. 328i, 2010 model. I read alot about ease of purchase/availability on these posts. I purchase from Summit Racing, free shipping, 2 Day delivery to house.

Sorry, late response!

So it seems like i should be going for a 0w-40 instead of 5w-40? And not an ester oil?

My only concern is burning through oil, i used Castrol Edge in my mk5 gti back when i lived in UK still and it would burn through the Castrol pretty dam quick so being that the mk6 gti i have now is based off a mk5 platform, granted the engine is a little different, i still have my concerns..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back