talent doesn't pay like it used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stelth
...Anybody who can solder copper thinks he's a plumber, just like anyone with a hammer and a saw thinks he's a framer...
LOL.

In the IT world, anyone who works with Excel thinks they're a programmer. I've had to clean up many report/data problems by people with that mindset.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: Stelth
...Anybody who can solder copper thinks he's a plumber, just like anyone with a hammer and a saw thinks he's a framer...
LOL.

In the IT world, anyone who works with Excel thinks they're a programmer. I've had to clean up many report/data problems by people with that mindset.
grin.gif

hehe, did you got the 120MB 10 cells of info - takes forever to open types....
and don't get me started about copying the ALT-Enter and empty spaces character into so many database records....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: xfactor9
On the flip side, there are contractors who ask for insane amounts. One company, who's fairly reputable around here, wanted $2700 for laminate wood flooring for just one room. I did it myself for $700. I don't know how a few hours of labor for 2 people would cost $2000. It's not like it's neurosurgery or something. They probably pay the workers $25/hr as well
Long story short, they didn't want the job, but if you were silly/desperate enough to pay them, they were going to make it worth their while.

They were a busy company and I live in an affluent area, that's the reason their estimates were high. There was nothing difficult or unusual about that flooring job. I've had other unreasonable estimates for things too, like repairing a leaking sprinkler pipe for $300 even though we knew exactly where the leak was. I repaired it myself for $10 and 1.5 hrs of labor.

But when I take an inexpensive car to a shop, the estimates are fair

I've seen/heard plenty of bids/estimates that have more about what they think you may be able/willing to pay rather than what the job entails with a reasonable profit.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I've seen/heard plenty of bids/estimates that have more about what they think you may be able/willing to pay rather than what the job entails with a reasonable profit.

I've seen that too.

My off time is worth something. I think I quoted my former BIL $300/hr for some IT consulting work he wanted me to do for his employer.

This was in the 1990s and he never asked again.

But then I could bill out at about $150/hour to teach a 40 hour Java programming class at that time, so I figured double that for giving up my weekend was reasonable.

Before folks get all excited about $150/hr, I was paying my own airfare to get there, hotel, meals, rental car etc. I had to spend time to get certified to teach, etc. So a good deal of that cash went to paying for my downtime, etc.

I am seeing the same thing where I work and I will be switching jobs-soon. They are hiring new inexperienced people cheaply with the thoughts of training them Problem is once they are trained they leave. This is a terrible business model but its clearly a disconnect from of office staff (mostly College) and field staff (mostly Tech schools/high schools). Its all about the multipliers. The problem lies that they will be losing clients due to bad customer service on sites and lack of experience which is never ending with this scenario. Management always feels their will be bodies to fill as replacements, who view the field staff as anyone can do that job. Its not a place I want to be. It stops professionalism and breeds contempt for company and management. I have brought this to their attention several times and all it led to was vicious attacks on me as being insubordinate. They need me too much to fire me, so it comes down to ethics and not wanting to ruin my reputation and just leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back