Question-Buying from a rental agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
And going to redline doesn't break a car. Car companies run engines at redline+ for weeks at a time.

But they also use 15W40 oil with bacon grease added. Not this 0w20 stuff *sarcasm*

There are also individuals, who get a rental car of same make-model they own just to swap the whole front end or some other 'projects'. Just for a few days.
With the Uber/Lyft crowd this may become more and more common. Especially, folks with other cultural backgrounds.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Has anyone thats bashing on this thread ever bought a rental car to speak from experience, because I have.

Its hard to abuse an engine these days. My current cars have a rev limiter if the engine isnt warm enough. Same with transmission shifting.

And if anyone goes out intentionally trying to destruct someone else's property by driving like a maniac seriously needs to get their head analyzed.

Youtube up rental car abuse and have a field day. Lots of neutral drops, WOT reverse to drive smokey burnouts, etc. Then you have the vacation rentals where people knowingly or unknowingly take their rentals off road.

Not talking the WOT 0-60 runs which, hot or cold do nothing to a modern car (lots of torque management in WOT shifts) or even a normal burnout every once and a while. Those would not faze any modern car.

The potential abuse plus the fact that rental agencies are keeping them longer and longer and I'd not want to take the risk.

I think rentals are a good place to shop. Most people that commented negatively are obviously making lots of assumptions about the vehicle. the first thought people have is that rentals are abused. Driving a vehicle at 90 isn't bad for the car. Personally I drive a rental no differenty than my own, and I can't fathom what anyone could possibly do to a vehicle that it could not withstand. You red lined it? Oh dear. Rental companies do maintain their vehicles better than most people. It doesn't cost them anything, and they profit from the dividend of a well maintained vehicle. Yes it probably received 'bulk' oil and never saw a Fram Ultra, but only here is that considered engine death. I have found great deals on fleet vehicles, and wouldn't hesitate.

Only reason I wouldn't buy a rental is that they tend to be stripped down models. Got a Mercedes C300 rental once, it didn't even have navigation as an option, pretty much a base vehicle. I'd rather get a used car that has more options. Usually a loaded used car is just a little bit more than the base model. Lots of times Nadaguide doesn't even put a value on the extra options.

I know several people that only buy their cars from the Budget lot nearby. They've been doing it for years and have never had a problem. They have driven late model cars for a screaming good deal price.

One family has 4 of those cars right now. They have had no problems and have only done routine maintenance.

The manager there knows what kind of cars they like and calls them when one shows up. They talk to the mechanics that do the maintenance when they're taking delivery and are very satisfied with the whole deal.

You have to be 25 to rent a car. Most rentals are not abused ; I would try to purchase one in warranty and inspect for damage carefully. You'll probably get a better price from a private party, look at estate sales if you want a slightly older car in good condition with low mileage.

The '09 Corolla in my signature was a rental that the local dealership picked up at auction. It had 36K miles on it and had a few small dents and dings. It now has 164K miles and the only problem I've had was replacing the water pump. According to a couple of Toyota forums the '09 & '10 Corollas had water pump problems that cropped up between 25K and 40K and mine didn't start weeping until 105K so that wasn't totally unexpected.

I'm sure there were a few jackasses who abused it as a rental, but it has held up well. I'd buy another one.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
There are also individuals, who get a rental car of same make-model they own just to swap the whole front end or some other 'projects'. Just for a few days.

This doesn't happen. Year/Make/Models of rentals fleets are such a narrow window. Odds of someone having identical model and wanting to do this is slim to none.

Quote:
With the Uber/Lyft crowd this may become more and more common. Especially, folks with other cultural backgrounds.

uh wut

Last edited:
I have purchased 2 used cars through dealerships that were originally rentals with no problems. First was an Acadia AWD with 13k, bought GM extended warranty. Now has 95k miles and we have been very pleased. I had 2 or 3 warranty claims but none that I would link to rental abuse rather know issues with this vehicle. Second was an Escape that was well equipped with the 2.0 liter motor, so far so good. In the absence of a pristine Carfax showing religious oil changes at the dealership, a low mileage rental can be a good deal.

Originally Posted By: NO2
You have to be 25 to rent a car.

You have to be 18 to rent a car. And there are a lot of dumb-[censored] 25 year-olds anyway.

Originally Posted By: stower17
FWIW I tend to only buy ex rental cars myself. I like the $avings on a fairly new veh. With that being said, as with any used car make sure to look it over really good. I know plenty of people who said they would never buy a rental car, and then later bought a used car and then found out it was a prior rental. All completely shocked, never thought rental cars could be "good" vehicles.

YES, go to a fleet auction and guaranteed you will see wrecked, smashed, been to heck and back rental cars and it is completely obvious what those cars have gone thru. Stay away from those. They are usually so ragged with broken parts and beat up interiors that they usually end up on sub prime car lots. Those are the junkers, cars that the manufacturer voided the warranty on because of damage.

If you buy a car directly from the rental agency, odds are that its one of their better units. They will gladly show you the maintenance record, sometimes without asking. Rental agencies have invested a lot of money into the disposal of their fleet, they want the best vehicles on their lot to help undo the stigma that rental cars are beat up pieces of junk.

There are so many ex rental cars driving around this country, agencies buy nearly a million cars every year, only to dump them after about 12 months. There of course will be people who say buying a rental is the worst idea ever, well good, more cars available for me
smile.gif

I agree. I have bought at least 2 vehicles that I knew were rental vehicles. The Grand Marquis was a rental, and it has been very reliable. The Impala was a Hertz Rental. It had 25K miles on it, and 20K miles later I've had NO problems at all. I lowballed the dealership on the Impala and to my surprise they said as long as I brought my checkbook into the dealership that day, they would do the deal (it was the last day of the month).

As was mentioned, the key is to inspect the vehicle very closely. Drive it more than "around the block." If the dealership wouldn't let you go out on the freeway or highway for a while, then walk away. I've never been one to ask for or look at "maintenance records." Those can be easily produced. I go by my own inspection especially under the hood.

FWIW, I seem to have had more "luck" with the rental cars purchases than I did with the cars that I bought new (Camry and Trailblazer.)

Last edited:
Its an automatic. Even if it someone is driving it hard the car should be able to take it. Its no more damage than say an autocross.

. Say someone who signs up to do an autox season that has a session every weekend is goinf to do the same hard driving.
Lets face it the rental cars are not so interesting to drive that the renter is flogging it. The business traveller has his bmw back home this pos appliance vehicle is just to get him to the hotel and back.

But this goes to the personality and astetitcs of the op. Look at the the post of the guy who is annoyed that his accord has some effects of salt. Or you think slightly overdue oci means doom and gloom. If that's like you, you're going to be annoyed with a used car no matter what and second guess every single niggle that comes up.

But on the same token, because people think thst the rental fleet is bot a good car, demand is lower so it should reflect a better price

Last edited:
I think, where the rental agency cars are from can make a real difference. The local Enterprise dealer in Mokena IL has rentals for sale. Small suburban areas bunched together. The documentation states no accidents, no safety related recalls and no miles over xxxx. All factory warranties still in effect.
prices looked like some genuine savings to me. Ed

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

You have to be 18 to rent a car. And there are a lot of dumb-[censored] 25 year-olds anyway.

You're wrong. You have to be 25, so watch who you call dumb.

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Many places will rent to 18 year olds with a surcharge.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Many places will rent to 18 year olds with a surcharge.

What places?

You are wrong....

Enterprise:
Quote:
The minimum age to rent vehicle is 21 years of age. See exceptions below
A 'Young Renter Fee' may be applied to your rental if you are between the ages of 21 and 24.
If you wish to know the cost of the 'Young Renter Fee' you may begin the reservation process to determine the exact amount of the fee for the location (please remember you will have the option to confirm or cancel the reservation).
Renters 21 through 24 years of age may only rent Economy through Full-size cars

Hertz:
Quote:
What is the minimum age I can rent a car with Hertz?

On most rentals the minimum age is 25 without an additional Age Differential Charge, and 20 with an additional Age Differential Charge. Minimum rental age in MS is 21, MI & NY is 18 and AL & NE is 19. However, the minimum age for all Prestige Collection and Adrenaline Collection® vehicles is 25 years old.

For more information/cost, click on "Reservations" on the navigation menu on the left hand side. Next click on "Qualifications & Requirements". Then enter pickup location, next choose "Age Restrictions and Exceptions" from the topic drop down menu.

Interestingly U-Haul will rent to an 18 year old...

Depends on type of rental car.

If you go and buy an economy car from a rental agency, they are whipped. Every one of them I have seen has been scratched, beat, and used up.

Hertz rented me a Lincoln the other day, it was flawless.

The average joe Hertz customer isn't going to be renting from the luxury class.

Who am I to say, I was looking at a used Toyota Solara the other day, it had hertz ownership stickers in the glovebox, that made me pass on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back