Tread Life & Curvy Roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I could make an argument Boston is easier on tires. Gradual turns are easy. Its all the sharp turns on that phoenix grid pattern that wears more. Its the sharp turns that cause the tires to scrub.

The thing is, in Phoenix you usually only need to take 2 streets to get somewhere. If you're heading Northwest, just take 1 road west until you get to, say, 83rd Ave. Then take 83rd Ave North to your destination. No need to be getting on many other roads

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I could make an argument Boston is easier on tires. Gradual turns are easy. Its all the sharp turns on that phoenix grid pattern that wears more. Its the sharp turns that cause the tires to scrub.

Sure. Longer tread life in Boston...

But the rims are bent and carcass is shot because of all the potholes and construction...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Of course-a little common sense tells you that it makes a difference. Constant driving in an area with curves and turns wears tires (and other components) at a faster rate than straight driving does; all other things being equal.

We live in a rural area; the majority of our driving is straight down a highway for 20+ miles. I rarely "wear out" tires, they are usually replaced due to age. As an example, before it was sold, I replaced the Michelin Harmony tires on my wife's Subaru Outback. They had 102,000 miles on them and had somewhere around 4/32-5/32 tread left. Same with brakes-I don't think I've ever had to replace brakes with less than 100,000 miles on them.

I live in the sticks, drive mostly highway, get >100k out of brakes--and the only time we've broken 40k on a set of tires involved wearing past the wear bars.

Maybe your highways are straighter than mine?

Originally Posted By: supton
I live in the sticks, drive mostly highway, get >100k out of brakes--and the only time we've broken 40k on a set of tires involved wearing past the wear bars.

Maybe your highways are straighter than mine?

Pop Rivet says he is in the Midwest. I've lived in the Midwest and I've been to New Hampshire. Yup, Midwest is pretty flat and straight compared to New Hampshire.

FWIW, I got just shy of 36,000 miles from a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on a commute that involved lots of suburban roads, 2 cloverleaf on/off ramps and 13 miles of freeway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back