Changing Oil By Time Instead Of Mileage ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 HEMI last April to celebrate my recent retirement. Now that I'm not working, it gets driven very little. (I have another vehicle as well, which adds to the lack of mileage). Since we bought it new in April 10 months ago, it only has a little over 2,200 miles on it.

Because of this I'm just going to change the oil and filter twice a year. Once in spring, and again 6 months later in Fall. If I waited until the oil change monitor on the car told me to do it, the oil would be in there for 3 years or more with how little we drive. I use Pennzoil Full Synthetic 5W-20 per the Chrysler spec. Would changing it once a year be pushing it? It's not a big deal to change it from a work or cost standpoint because I do it myself, which is why I'm doing it every 6 months. I just don't want to leave contaminated oil in it for any length of time. Hence the twice a year schedule. It usually is always driven until the oil temp gets to 200+ degrees, so it's not exposed to much, if any moisture condensation.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Would changing it once a year be pushing it?

Not at all, especially that...
Quote:

It usually is always driven until the oil temp gets to 200+ degrees, so it's not exposed to much, if any moisture condensation.

I change oil on my 530i annually as well, and this one does get subject to fair amount of short tripping.

I think you are safe changing it once per year. I think many would recommend changing it in the spring (some would not). Probably better to go spring to spring rather than winter to winter. Given your location and short mileage, I doubt any of that really matters. It is highly probably that you could go two years. I would run 18 months, do a UOA and go from there. While the initial cost of the UOA might be a little stiff, the money you save in the long run by changing oil less will be worth it, if the UOA validates such an OCI interval.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm in the same situation as you. A few cars and very little driving.

I've gone to yearly oil changes, can't see changing oil after only 1500 miles.

As long as you get a decent oil with a high TBN like most synthetics you'll be fine. PP and QSUD should have a tbn over 8 when new so it should easily make it one year and less than 5000 miles. I would confirm with a one year UOA.

Last edited:
If you're only doing about 2500 miles anually, there is no way I would change it twice a year

Once a year is perfect

Once a year but the thing to remember about low mileage you need to use thst ince a year to stay ahead of sll the other maintenance too that is time based. Even id stuff looks new the manual says it needs to be changed. Otherwise all of a sudden you're left with a breakdown

Last edited:
Once a year is more than good enough when you are using a full synthetic oil if you're only putting on 4-5000 miles.

Easy once every 2 years! Nothing is happening in the sump when its not running. Motor Oil is stable at ambient temps. Id worry more about fuel in the tank and system If its E10 - though you are in a dry locale, so , maybe not
smile.gif

I'm doing once per year at 1500 miles with Mobil 1 + Fram Ultra. Oil and filters are too cheap to go to 2 years. My 5.7L is worth more to me than saving an extra $15-$22 per year. And I suspect your Hemi is as well. Phoenix/Glendale can get toasty warm during summer months when you're most likely to be pushing your Hemi harder. I'm sure they spec the 5W-20 but that doesn't seem very robust for summer in Glendale.

I agree with the others that once a year is conservative in your case. I believe that a fall oil and filter change is best in your case because high oil temperatures (summer driving in Arizona) tend to oxidize the oil. Since you are using fully synthetic oil and the oil life monitor is indicating plenty of additional oil life, you are still being conservative. Do drive the vehicle enough to replace the gasoline in the tank at least every 6 months. If your Jeep is stored out of the sun, you will enjoy it for a very long time.

I can not back this up other than owning a FCA vehicle and what I read on other forums - it appears FCA looks for ways to not honor warranties so as long as the vehicle is under warranty I would change base on owner's manual. It is unlikely you will experience an oil / oil filter related failure but changing per the owner's manual might be inexpensive insurance to not jeopardize warranty.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
In your case, I would do annual oil changes unless your Jeep powertrain warranty requires you to do it more often.

1 year is max time limit, as per the owner's manual.

Wouldn't the OLM in OP's car trigger at 1 year point, regardless?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
In your case, I would do annual oil changes unless your Jeep powertrain warranty requires you to do it more often.

Yes, exactly. The OLM will take into account short trips.

Enjoy your retirement.
smile.gif

This may sound counter-intuitive, but....
....the more miles you drive a year the FEWER OCs are required....assuming that those miles are on the highway where the engine wear and the oil depletion is FAR less than few miles around town (referred to a "severe" use) when oil and engine temps don't get high enough often enough.....

Changing oil 2x/yr covers BOTH situations handily.

I don't drive to work, so I don't put on a lot of miles (59K in 10 years).
I would go a full year (as my sig says) but the longest it's taken me is 9 months to go 5000 miles.
Almost no trips under 30 minutes.
While under warranty I did do 6 months, and the shortest mileage for that was 1600 miles.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
I can not back this up other than owning a FCA vehicle and what I read on other forums - it appears FCA looks for ways to not honor warranties so as long as the vehicle is under warranty I would change base on owner's manual. It is unlikely you will experience an oil / oil filter related failure but changing per the owner's manual might be inexpensive insurance to not jeopardize warranty.

Absolutely follow the warranty requirements. The vehicle and engine are too expensive to gamble with in any way. Why even think about doing anything else ...

If you want to "save" the clean oil from low mileage changes, that's fine. Just use it in neighbors or relatives cars, yard equipment, etc. But book each change as required for warranty purposes ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back