Kluber Isoflex LDS18 Special A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some high-end hubs (Onyx) in my son's BMX race bike. The manufacturer (these hubs were designed and are actually made in Minnesota) exclusively uses this light grease for his hubs when he assembles them.

The front hub on the bike needs cleaned. So, I'm about to order this special grease.

Just curious if anyone's ever used it, what your thoughts are, and is there a more easily obtainable grease that would work in a pinch? No, I'm not looking for a substitute, but curious what else might work if I needed to use "something" because this specific grease was not available.

I have worked in CNC machinery, field service for nearly 20 years now. We use this grease on our high speed spindle bearings (8-12,000 rpm) on CNC machining centers. It is an excellent grease and can probably be ordered through MSC or McMaster Carr. As I remember, it's not cheap, but Kluber in general is a top quality grease with a well proven track record in industrial applications and should serve you well here. Just pay attention to the amount of grease the bearing calls for and follow that closely. It may call for simply packing it full, but more likely it will require a specific amount, and it could be a much smaller amount than you would ever believe, but if so, follow the bearing manufacturer's recommendation. The spindles we put it in are lubed for their entire service life with this grease during assembly, meaning they will get no more grease added until they fail. It's not uncommon for spindles to last 10, 15, even 20 yrs with the original bearings and grease.

Thanks travlnman.

But MSC or McMaster does NOT carry this. I had to order it from a CNC supply shop.

I'm sure this grease is overkill, but might as well use the same OEM grease when I maintain them.

Just an FYI...these bearing are ceramic with titanium races. He claims that any grease is really OK, since this is a low speed application (BMX), and although NOT optimal, since it's low speed, you can't damage these bearing even if you run them dry.

I have a slight squeak and an occasional "rough/grind" when I slowly spin the wheel. I'm guessing a grain of sand is in there somewhere.

http://cnc-specialty-store.com/grease-lu...f0133fd0f60e651

You are correct, I guess MSC does not carry it. Above is a link I found, hope you did not pay more than this
smile.gif

We use the Klueber ISO TOPAS all the time here at work with our European supplied antenna mast systems. Its suggested by the manufacturer but honestly it isn't that good of a grease, its overpriced and hard to get. Aeroshell greases you find are much better products, made in the USA and much easier to get.

Anyway, heres where we get ours, best prices I've found on Kluber:

http://www.klueber.com/us/en/homepage/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Aeroshell greases you find are much better products, made in the USA and much easier to get.

What would be a good AeroShell grease to use in a bicycle hub that uses ceramic bearings and titanium races? Low speed, ambient temperature, etc.

I'd look at the 22-

AeroShell Grease 22
Synthetic Grease for Aircraft
Versatile multipurpose grease
Microgel thickened, synthetic hydrocarbon oil base
Approved MIL-PRF-81322G
P/N 08-05490
Corrosion inhibited and fortified against oxidation, it has excellent anti-wear properties, load-carrying capacity and water resistance, plus a wide useful temperature range of -65°C to +240°C. Recommended for aircraft wheel bearings, engine accessories and airframe lubrication, and for anti-friction bearings operating at high speeds and at high or low temperatures.

I know nothing about grease, but I thought this might be great information about Kluber Isoflex LDS18 Special A, if I'm going to find a comparable substitute:

ISOFLEX LDS 18 SPECIAL A is a dynamically light long-term grease for plain and rolling bearings. It consists of ester oil,mineral oil and lithium soap.

FWIW, SRAM uses a similar Ti/ceramic bearing arrangement in their Red/Force road bike groupsets, and they call for SKF LGHP polyurea grease. Chevron SRI and Mobil Polyrex EM2 are equivalents.

Shimano OTOH uses Agip Autol 2000 Super Longtime in their Dura-Ace and XTR bearings - and they also use it for almost everything else. You can find this as Shimano Dura-Ace Grease.

In this case, I'd look at Mobilith SHC 220 for this application, it's close to the Kluber.

Last edited:
Autol 2000 has lithium/calcium thickener with oil @560mm/s2 at 40 C...while mobilith shc 220 is lithium grease with oil 220mm/s2 at 40 C

Closest equivalent to agip autol 2000 would be fuchs renolit bfx grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back