Oil for 1997 4runner with 300K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Maxlife 5w30 + Tough Guard

Sorry, I don't get it? There is no difference between 5W and 10W-30 at engine operating temp when the oil is fresh except for the amount of VI's and base stocks used ... Either would work fine.

Fixed that for you.

There is a difference and it shows up over time.

Thanks for all the advice guys - appreciate it.

For what its worth, want to use products available at Walmart or AA where I get all my stuff for the other vehicles. Was thinking M1 filter since I use the exact same M1 filter on another vehicle, but see now that TGs or Ultras are good options as well. Haven't seen the OEM filters at Walmart or AA? If the leak continues with the Pennzoil HM, will see how Maxlife HM does. Trying to avoid replacing gaskets at this point (more time to fish), and will shorten OCI a bit. Thanks!

I'm in a similar situation, but I average 5,000MPY in a 97 T4R w/ 230,000.

Until reading this thread, I thought I had my oil needs figured out.

Once done cleaning my intake with Amsoil Power Foam, I planned to switch to M1 HM 5W30 synthetic and a Fram Ultra filter. Both have great reviews and the M1 HM was formulated for vehicles such as mine. I planned to do 5,000 mile/once a year oil changes. The additional cost is not big of a concern as it's only a little bit more over a long period of time.

------

OP, check your valve cover gaskets, cam plugs and half moons for the source of the leak.

As to walmart availability, walmart.com had denso filters and you can order there and pick up in the store. But they don't seem to have this one; I know as I have a Toyota/Lexus w/the same filter. Another filter option, and it's at wm, is what a lot of 4runner and land cruiser users do: upsize to the Motorcraft FL-400s. Very well built filter at a fair price. I use it on our Lexus.

Out of loyalty I would stick with Quaker State, but switch to their new High Mileage oil. I believe that is semi synthetic. I would run it 6000-6500 miles.

I have a 98 Avalon 1mzfe Toyota v6 and it runs great on maxlife blend. I wouldn't go past 5,000 miles and I WOULD stick with Dino or semi syn. My Honda leek slowed a bunch when I went to Pennzoil High Mileage Conventional and leaked like a strainer on Pennzoil Platinum. I do t care what anyone says yes if it leaks the leaks were already there however if it isnt leaking on the ground now you will kick yourself if you switch to synthetic and it cleans up any false seals and leaves you with cardboard on the guarage floor. Just my experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: claluja
Looking for thoughts on oil for my 1997 4runner with 300K (3.4L V6). Cap says 5w30. Till now has been running on OEM filters with QS 5w30 dino put in by dealer. Going to be doing my own changes going forward. No synthetic in her to date. Not burning oil, but some very small leaks (drop or two per day). Used daily, putting on about 15k per year.

Planning on using Pennzoil 5w30 HM dino, M1 filters, with OCI around 7-8k. Thoughts? Am I right to avoid synthetics to reduce chance of more leakage?

What was your oil change interval for this 300k miles?

Originally Posted By: Jake777
Originally Posted By: claluja
Looking for thoughts on oil for my 1997 4runner with 300K (3.4L V6). Cap says 5w30. Till now has been running on OEM filters with QS 5w30 dino put in by dealer. Going to be doing my own changes going forward. No synthetic in her to date. Not burning oil, but some very small leaks (drop or two per day). Used daily, putting on about 15k per year.

Planning on using Pennzoil 5w30 HM dino, M1 filters, with OCI around 7-8k. Thoughts? Am I right to avoid synthetics to reduce chance of more leakage?

What was your oil change interval for this 300k miles?

My (OP) OCI has typically been about 6-8K since the 4Runner was new, sometimes more sometimes less.

These engines will take anything! I'm at 340,000 kms on my 98' 4Runner and have been running synthetic 5W30 Pennzoil Platinum for the last 50,000 kms. Doesn't leak or use any oil between changes. Did an oil analysis at ~300,000kms and the report was mint.

I did change out the rear main seal ~5000 km ago. Not because it was leaking, but because I was changing the clutch and figured to do it as preventative maintenance while I was in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back