Oil filter, to change or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided that I can run my filter two OCI's. I changed my filter this last time, so I can go one more OCI. If I decide to switch oil brands, should I switch the filter even though its just one OCI? 2009 Chrysler T&C, 3.8 engine, Napa Gold (Wix) filter.

You could... people will tell you it does no harm to reuse the filter

I don't like it for my cars because SO much oil drains from the block when I remove the filter.

I prefer not to begin a new OCI with that much dirty oil in the system

No problem.....leave it...engines are cheap...oil filters are really expensive. Just remember....even the guys at Jiffy Lube change the filter.
lol.gif

Plus if you have a VVT system that has an oil screen...you are leaving more chance of clogging that screen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
You could... people will tell you it does no harm to reuse the filter

I don't like it for my cars because SO much oil drains from the block when I remove the filter.

I prefer not to begin a new OCI with that much dirty oil in the system

My Toyotas oil filter canister holds almost an additional quart.

You can probably do this with a quality filter rated for extended oil change intervals, like Wix, but my question is why are you changing the oil at an earlier interval? I think that the really important oil change for vehicles in the north is an annual autumn change. You need clean oil and a clean filter to enhance flowability and minimize oil filter bypass when starting with cold oil in the winter.

Had an RP on for 3 yr, 10k, 3 oci.. looked fine. No much rust on the can and gasket was still pliable. With the way I drive, I can probably go 5 years on my current RP.

Not changing just yet. Have about 2500 to 3500 miles to go before I change. I could change out with PHM again, and then change the filter. I want to give Valvoline MaxLife syn blend a try in this engine. Next OCI should be sometime into March, perhaps early April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back