toyota brand filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys trust the Toyota branded cartridge filter to 12K ?
I want to do 6k oci's with a filter at 12K.
Sorry I don't have the part number. It fits my 2010 2.5L and also my 2012 3.5L
I have taken Fram and Purolator to 10K and they "look" OK, but I know looks don't tell much of the story. I just found out the Toyota brand were cheaper than the aftermarket, so I bought a couple.
Thanks.

The OEM filter is just as good as anything on the market. No real reason to be chasing efficiency ratings. If Toyota says use it for 10,000 miles, the filter must be up to that service.

Your 3.5L engine has two VVT oil screens and 4 oil control valves actuators that are very sensitive to any excess debris in the oil. In fact some Toyota techs now believe some of the VVT issues with Toyota is due to the 10,0000 mile OCI. I would highly recommend you not run any filter 2 OCIs on that engine.

The oil control valves cost about $100 each plus labor of 2.7 hours and cleaning the screens is about 2.5 hrs of labor.

penny wise and pound foolish.

The Toyota filters probably have more media than most if not all. As for filter quality, yes I trust them. I wouldn't leave them on for two changes under warranty though, and go over the maximum recommended miles. You get the factory part for less, can't beat that. The same kind of cartridge goes on the most expensive Lexus so it can't be too shabby.

What are the micron ratings and efficieny,for toyota filters, in general? I have a 98 corolla...and have one i bought from my local dealer last year,just sitting around here.

I liked the foam media OEM Japanese Toyota/Denso but not the Thailand paper/glass service replacement parts - I think they had too much resin on the media - didn't get proper oiling. Put the old filter on and all was well, put a non-ecore Delco/Champ on next OCI and all was well. Still a mystery and one of my first posts here trying to reconcile this odd filter issue. This was on a Rav 4 and a Yaris.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I liked the foam media OEM Japanese Toyota/Denso but not the Thailand paper/glass service replacement parts - I think they had too much resin on the media - didn't get proper oiling. Put the old filter on and all was well, put a non-ecore Delco/Champ on next OCI and all was well. Still a mystery and one of my first posts here trying to reconcile this odd filter issue. This was on a Rav 4 and a Yaris.

You may have had old filters. Toyota doesn't fail to understand how much resin is needed to stop oil flow, these things are tested. I actually am going to go back to using the Thailand ones I like the way they are made so much. I am not going to use the 10 year old ones I have though. Every new Toyota now is coming with these filter, Lexus too, it would be hard to say the filters aren't right on them.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
What are the micron ratings and efficieny,for toyota filters, in general? I have a 98 corolla...and have one i bought from my local dealer last year,just sitting around here.

Only place I've really seen the numbers. Per ISO 4548-12, as noted in the chart.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
AmsoilEaOilFilterEfficiency.jpg

This chart brought to you by Amsoil (TM).

That old chart is always dragged out in answer to this question, who knows how accurate it ever was or is for today's filters. The real answer is nobody knows since Toyota isn't stating.

And neither is Denso nor Honda for that matter.

^^^ That chart says the data is based on ISO 4548-12. So I highly doubt Amsoil is going to show this data if it was a lie because these other filter makers would threaten a lawsuit over false information. They watch each other like a hawk on stuff like this.

Also, back a few years ago, member river_rat did his bench testing to compare a bunch of filters and the Toyota filters definitely showed to be less efficient which correlates with the Amsoil chart.

Just got in my three for $11 total price Toyota filters, 90915-yzzf1's, new from a dealer with the holographic logo. I am going to start using them on one car, and when the three Ultras I have are used up on the 02 Camry I will order some new Toyotas for that. I give the Amsoil graph about a 20% belief rating, not that they are lying. I give a 100% belief rating to Toyota/Lexus original parts though, that all aspects of the filter are designed for the use. I would even use them on Fords etc if I still had Fords, as a $4 choice that won't tear. He's gone nuts, the five or so readers here say. But now there are no more decisions to make about oil filters for some time, or wondering if this or that is wrong or right. I would rather they would be USA made, but at least Thailand is a friendly free nation. I think it is. Anyway my $11 isn't changing the global economy and I enriched a Toyota parts dept. Actually I don't know how they can make anything on them. Now I need to turn in my Fram free filters for shill posting resignation as the bosses are not going to like this.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
[...] I give the Amsoil graph about a 20% belief rating, not that they are lying. [...] I give a 100% belief rating to Toyota/Lexus original parts though, that all aspects of the filter are designed for the use. [...] I would rather they would be USA made, but at least Thailand is a friendly free nation. I think it is.

I don't believe Amsoil lies either and give them a 10% belief rating and 99% marketing wizardry rating.

Yes Lexus endorsment speaks for itself. There's more to oil filters than just microns and percentages, not the least of which is flow rating hot and cold.

FYI Thailand has been under military dictature since the 2014 coup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Thai_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

The Amsoil efficiency chart actually shows the Motorcraft filter MORE efficient than Ford/Motorcraft ever advertised at 80% @ 20 microns. Guess Motorcraft must have slipped Amsoil some $$$$ to cheat some.
wink.gif

^^^ Couldn't say for sure without some controlled testing, engine teardowns & measurements to determine if higher efficiency filters reduce wear over 200K miles or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back