Windows Users and Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could do this in about 10 seconds in Solaris or Linux. But how does one give the same userid (not username) to users across a multi-boot windows environment. I think it's SID in Windows, but I'm not sure as I'm a Unix guy.

Let's say I have a regular (non-admin) user named javaContour on my original machine running Win7. I have a TB of files for that user.

I build a Win10 machine on a new hard drive.

When I create a regular user named javaContour, he probably won't have the same windows userid, meaning he won't have access to the files on the other drives.

I know I could just give him rights to all those files and folders. But what I want is for both users to have the same user id, just like you have an assignable UID in the Unix/Linux world.

Seems that would be best because any files created by either users on either OS instance would be owned by the same SID.

I have had all sorts of machines to administer, I'd probably run some sort of active directory or whatever you Windows types do.

But I'm talking about a machine shared by me and my wife with two regular users and an Administrator.

I'd like to create javaContour and oilBabe on the new Win10 machine with an SID that is identicial to the SID of the original Win7 machine.

When I search google, all I get is how to use the folder or put it on FAT32 (not going to happen) etc.

So if anyone has some directions or even a link, I'd be very greatful.

Dual boot on the same machine? As long as the Windows computer name and local user account is the same on both installations then it will have access to the same files. Yes, it will even work with different passwords.

However, to avoid future issues, you may want to change the file/folder permissions to a group instead. Then you can add/delete users to that group with less fear then directly specifying users. That group like the local user does have to exist on both installations.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Oh how I wish this were true.

When I boot Win10 and look at files, I get they are owned by an SID number.

I added access rights for that user and then when I reboot and look at it in Win7, that same file has access rights for what is described as Account Unknown (S-some-long-numerical-value-probably-sid)

Had the Win10 install been an upgrade of the Win7 instance, I totally get that what you suggest would be true.

However, the Win10 instance was an upgrade of a brand new instance of Win7, on a new SSD added to the system, then upgraded to Win10.

So creating a user with the same name produces a different SID. Neither OS recognizes the SIDs assigned by the other. Or at least they won't associate them with a username. Hence the Account Unknown (SID...) description.
So I suspect a user is a collection of data values including, but not limited to username and SID.

So my question is how do I create users with the same SID across the board?

In the Unix/Linux world, I can assign a user a specific numeric userid. Can't seem to do that here in Windows land.

Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted By: razel
Dual boot on the same machine? As long as the Windows computer name and local user account is the same on both installations then it will have access to the same files. Yes, it will even work with different passwords.

However, to avoid future issues, you may want to change the file/folder permissions to a group instead. Then you can add/delete users to that group with less fear then directly specifying users. That group like the local user does have to exist on both installations.

Thanks,

I've tried messing around with icacl but it won't let me add an ACL for a user's SID not defined in the system.

I think I muddled my way into it.

Once I got a parent folder with the permissions I wanted, I was able to force the inheritable permissions to all the files and folders below.

The notion of a userid being tied to some number associated with one computer is really odd to me.

I guess I should have worked harder and getting a clone of the original Win7 instance...

But I think I'll be able to hack my way through it
smile.gif

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Java, this is for Win7. hope it works for you
google search

setacl.exe -on C:\
-ot file
-actn trustee -trst "n1:S-old-501;n2:S-new-501;ta:repltrst"
-rec cont

Link1 - get SID
link2- how to use command above