2006 Sienna ATF Help (Amsoil vs Maxlife vs T-IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar issue on my 04 Sienna with ~100k miles.
Drain and refilled using Maxlife. It's cheaper and I have used it with great results on my other Toyota cars.

My shifting did improve but it seems to get somewhat jerky every once in a while. This was about 1k miles after my drain and refill. The gearbox seems to have a hard problem deciding between low gears (1-3) at times.

Will do another drain and refill maybe next year since my Sienna just stays in the garage.

AWD Sienna? Transfer case leaks with transmission and exchanges fluid. I would drain/refill the transfer case and UOA the transfer case fluid. You are more likely going to see ATF in gear oil than gear oil in ATF.

Worn VB.
http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3048
http://www.transgo.com/products.php?prd=...;product_id=262
http://www.superiortransmission.com/Locate_Product_Results.cfm?PartNo=&M=4&T=47

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_U_transmission
http://www.toyotapart.com/Transmission_Fluid_Or_Gear_Oil_Seepage_TSB013810.pdf

Just sharing an update: since my last change to T-IV, the tranny has been shifting much better with more confidence. Shifts aren't "crisp" in any sense like a sporty transmission, but shifts are clean. There was only one instance where the tranny got confused.

I'm going to try another d&f in a week.

Sharing an update:

After my last change to T-IV and about 1500 miles of driving, the car returned to its bad shifting behavior again.

1. 2-3 shifts are clunky and slow (especially if I gently let off the gas at the point of a shift and I go back on the gas)
2. 3-4 shifts also feel clunky.
3. Downshifts don't feel clean and fast.
4. If I manually modulate the gears via the gear shifter (L-2-3-4), the shifts are faster and smoother.
5. The transmission seems to shift smoother and faster when the oil is cold.

Any advice? Is my transmission about to die? Should I do a full flush this time? What about LubeGard Red?

Give it more time to settle down, clean MAF and throttle body, injection service also helps reduce gear hunting.

I would do nothing give the tranny to settle down, drain the battery overnight and post back.

Have you taken it to a known trustworthy transmission shop in your area? It sounds like it's fluid related due to the fact that your changing out newer fluid seems to help for a short time but you never know. I had a friend with a Camry v6 that would shift strange and when he took it to a local shop known to be good at what they do they replaced a shift Selonoid or a wire going to a Selonoid and the hard shift in one gear went away. My point is it's not a bad idea to have someone who sees transmissions every day give an opinion. Just make sure you can trust them. Now on to different fluids I k ow I get strange harder shifting after about 30k miles on my Honda ATF DW1 fluid sooner if I take it to the mountains with the entire family up steep inclines fully loaded (overheat the fluid a bit). Anyway I have found that a drain and fill every 15k miles in my driveway and it shifts much nicer. If you can follow the procedure for a full exchange of fluid I would do that with either Maxlife it Castrol Transmax. I know Catrol Transmax has worked really well for a bunch of folks. Maxlife has worked great in my 98 Avalon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jake777
Have you taken it to a known trustworthy transmission shop in your area? It sounds like it's fluid related due to the fact that your changing out newer fluid seems to help for a short time but you never know. I had a friend with a Camry v6 that would shift strange and when he took it to a local shop known to be good at what they do they replaced a shift Selonoid or a wire going to a Selonoid and the hard shift in one gear went away. My point is it's not a bad idea to have someone who sees transmissions every day give an opinion. Just make sure you can trust them. Now on to different fluids I k ow I get strange harder shifting after about 30k miles on my Honda ATF DW1 fluid sooner if I take it to the mountains with the entire family up steep inclines fully loaded (overheat the fluid a bit). Anyway I have found that a drain and fill every 15k miles in my driveway and it shifts much nicer. If you can follow the procedure for a full exchange of fluid I would do that with either Maxlife it Castrol Transmax. I know Catrol Transmax has worked really well for a bunch of folks. Maxlife has worked great in my 98 Avalon.

I just disconnected the battery for about an hour and the shift points became more natural, shifted a little smoother, and a bit faster. I did experience slipping from 2-3 and 3-4.

I also wonder if it's fluid related, or if I just have a bunch of junk in my tranny. Maybe I should do a full line exchange with Maxlife ATF and install a magnefine filter.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Give it more time to settle down, clean MAF and throttle body, injection service also helps reduce gear hunting.

I would do nothing give the tranny to settle down, drain the battery overnight and post back.

I'll try giving it a clean.

Here's an update. I'm at 120k miles. Since my last thread, here's what I"ve done:

- Added mag filter for the transmission.
- Replaced the transmission filter.
- A few more drain & fills with Maxlife ATF.

The transmission would still flare from 2-3 and then 3-4 when I would lay off the throttle but come back in with light throttle. I would be able to repeat this dynamic by modulating the throttle in that way. Here's the weird part...

- I changed out a bad exhaust gasket (forgot which one but it was close to the passenger front wheel) and the car started driving very well. It later went back to its normal shifting habits.
- When I use 93 gas vs 87 gas, the transmission reacts differently... I ran multiple tests to see that this wasn't just a placebo thing. It really is the case.

What is going on with my car? Is it that my car is not producing the power it needs and the transmission software/hardware is getting confused by the inputs?

I have a 2006 Sienna with 89K miles on it. We picked it up last year with 83K miles. I did 2 drain/fills with Mobil 3309 right when we got it because the fluid was dark. The level is correct, I checked it hot and running, then measured how much I drained and refilled the exact same amount.

Mine shifts a lot like yours. Lazy up shifts ( takes a measurable amount of time to shift 1-2-3. Doesn't flare, rpm's just hang for a second) and just feels confused most of the time. Mine also downshifts to 1st at slow speeds. When you get back on the throttle to go before coming to a complete stop, it jerks forward as it's in 1st gear and then up-shifts quickly to 2nd. It's been like this the whole time we've owned it.

My neighbor also has a 06 Sienna. His shifts better than mine, but also is a slow shifter and can be jerky at times. He's at 140K and has never changed the fluid.

From what I've read, these transmissions are very reliable, shift quality and programming is just not very good. That is interesting about the octane, i've only ever run mine on 87. Maybe I'll give 93 a shot and see what happens.

I've just adjusted my driving habits a bit and let it go as being normal.

Last edited:
I read someone saying that your tranny is similar to the one used in the chevy equinox of that era. If that's true then the issues you're having make more sense to me. It wasn't a good tranny, at least the gm version of it.

Anyway...

IME manufacturer spec fluids usually perform better than a multi vehicle formula. Also fluid level can have a huge impact on shift characteristics. The level being off by just a few ounces can cause poor shifting and even no engagement. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
I have a 2006 Sienna with 89K miles on it. We picked it up last year with 83K miles. I did 2 drain/fills with Mobil 3309 right when we got it because the fluid was dark. The level is correct, I checked it hot and running, then measured how much I drained and refilled the exact same amount.

Mine shifts a lot like yours. Lazy up shifts ( takes a measurable amount of time to shift 1-2-3. Doesn't flare, rpm's just hang for a second) and just feels confused most of the time. Mine also downshifts to 1st at slow speeds. When you get back on the throttle to go before coming to a complete stop, it jerks forward as it's in 1st gear and then up-shifts quickly to 2nd. It's been like this the whole time we've owned it.

My neighbor also has a 06 Sienna. His shifts better than mine, but also is a slow shifter and can be jerky at times. He's at 140K and has never changed the fluid.

From what I've read, these transmissions are very reliable, shift quality and programming is just not very good. That is interesting about the octane, i've only ever run mine on 87. Maybe I'll give 93 a shot and see what happens.

clear the ecm, that will most likely hep.

Originally Posted By: Huie83

That sounds just like my car except that I have flares. Is yours an awd model? I think inherently, the reliability of these cars is a whole lot better with the fwd models. After replacing struts/shocks/links/control arm bushings, the car still rides rough (and I used oem parts!). I don't get it.

A while back, my car had an exhaust leak. After I changed the gasket, it drove like normal again. It confused the [censored] out of me. The car then returned to normal behaviors so I thought it was a fluke of some kind. But a few weeks ago, I was changing the oil in my car and found the first few sections of the exhaust (from the engine) were very rusted. I'm wondering if that'll affect my shifting. I'm also considering doing my plugs. I'm at 126k now.

I have 276k Miles on my 04 Sienna AWD XLE limited. Only things to have been done are a flush at 150k and another at 275k miles. Since the last flush I have noticed a bit more of the shifting problems but I am 95% sure that is just due to watching it more closely, this is super reliable but it is not meant to be a amazing shifting trans.

I also highly recommend changing the filter, it is not a lifetime filter and it is not just a screen, it has a paper/sponge like element inside that CAN get clogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back