Hairline Cracks in Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen such a thing. Tiny little cracks in the plastic right next to the upper hose mount. Leaks about two drops a day. Got a new one on order from RockAuto. One thing I'm not sure about is the transmission line connections. They're a quick connect type with a wire clip that has to be removed to take the line off. I'm gonna have to pull clips out with a pick or something. Any suggestions welcome.

2000 Buick LeSabre w/ 3800 V6.

Very common with plastic tank rads now. You're lucky if you got 15 years. Most vehicles I've replaced rads on were around 11-12 years old.

For the transmission cooler line clips new clips should be included with the radiator. If not included it can be removed with a pick.

Last edited:
The ford degas bottles like to do that. Spiderweb cracks that weap under pressure, yet the bottles never brake.

Weird.

Last edited:
Look for a "Jiffy Clip" line removal tool for the trans cooler lines. Failing that, yeah, like Chris said, a pick will work.

As others have said just use a pick on them, I use a small screwdriver, they come right off.
If the new one has no clips put your on it first then push the lines right in with the clip already installed, its designed that way for quick assy.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Radiators should not be a maint item. Back to brass ones that could be repaired.

+1 for the above comment. If I were dictator, I would require radiators be all metal.

Look out for things like weak motor mounts and too short hoses which may have caused the stress cracks. I had a bad motor mount screw up my radiator once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back