2015 silverado dealer oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got another one of my free oil changes today. Truck holds 8.5qts. They only put in 8 and there is oil all over the bottom of my pan.

Dosent look like its leaking but that they spilled a bunch.
My last experience at a dealer. That PU 5W20 is looking good on my shelves now!

same reason why i do my own oil changes. when i went to have them rotate my tires a 5K they asked if i wanted them to change the oil and i told them i had already done it. they said i get free oil changes with my car with acdelco syn blend oil. told em i only run full syn in my car. they said they would change it with the oil i provided and i laughed and said no thanks.

Last edited:
Pretty much the reason why I'm ignoring my ToyotaCare 2 years of free oil changes.

Even if the odds of anything bad happening are 1%, I would still hate myself for not having done it myself that one time things went wrong.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Pretty much the reason why I'm ignoring my ToyotaCare 2 years of free oil changes.

Even if the odds of anything bad happening are 1%, I would still hate myself for not having done it myself that one time things went wrong.
+1

I take my vehicles for oil changes when it's in warranty. They found a oil leak I missed and had it repaired under warranty that I would have missed. Always have the multipoint inspection done.

Last edited:
Right Nate.

I am a little averse to the free oil change thing, but I would use it if it was practical. My last Silverado 1500 and my present Silverado 2500HD both had the free oil change thing, but given it would take me shutting down my business for about half a day, driving 60 miles round trip, and no loner car thing (which would mean nothing in regards to my business), the free oil change thing takes on a whole new meaning. It would cost me almost $1000 for a "free" oil change. I can do a lot of my own oil changes for $1000.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
That engine takes 8 qts. There is a revised TSB that reduces from 8.5 to 8.

This is True. Just did some research on that. You learn something everyday.

Thanks for that.

On a positive note, I took my wifes Camry in for "free" oil change and tire rotation a month ago. You know that is not free and I pay for it in the pricing scheme.

Anyways, I made a 7 AM appointment. I had marked the tires with ink prior to arrival.
They took it back and did their thing in a busy Toyota stealership. An hour later, I get her back, sign paper, and depart.

Looked at tires and they were indeed rotated. I still need to check the torque but has been cold etc. They put in correct level oil and single bottles of TGMO 0w20 that is required by Toyota while doing free oil changes. After that, the writer said they go to bulk oil. Thought that was kinda weird.

The car was not oily or messy and no oil on the pan.

I report this because as I am worried about people working on my vehicles, I wanted this one documented by dealer, at least this particular tech seemed to care and did what was asked for.

And no other needed stuff was found. Just a report that my visit to a Toyota stealership was good this time

I'm with you on the "free" dealer oil changes. I had four with my '14 Silverado, and I only managed to use one.

On that visit they did an overfill. When I called them on it they tried to say I wasn't checking the oil properly. Funny, I didn't think it took a PhD to check oil level, in fact a "dipstick" can do it. If they'd owned their mistake I wouldn't have been so P'd off instead they tried to say I didn't know how to read a dipstick. WRONG ANSWER

Long story, as GM and their dealers didn't know how much oil it took for one of its designed engines, they put the "correct" 8.5 quarts in along with the lovely PF63E ecore
37.gif
filter. I removed their filter and its oil and replaced with a Wix 57045. The oil in the filter I removed was almost exactly enough to bring the oil level down to the full mark on the dipstick.

I believe that is how you read it, but my dealer might disagree.
crazy2.gif

Anyway, like most here say, if you want something done right do it yourself. I've done two oil changes since the dealer visit. No drama, no overfill, no ecore, full synthetic oil; sometimes "free" has a hidden price and I am not willing to pay that price anymore.

Last edited:
I agree and would still do my own oil changes just remember when under warranty and you take your vehicle wan oil change or inspection at a dealership they are looking for warranty work and if they spot anything wrong they will be happy to fix it and get paid. Once your out of warranty they are still looking for anything they can find for paid work. It might be nice to still get eyes on a new rig during its warranty period.

The problems with both lube joints and dealers is that you will almost always have an unqualified person doing your oil change. Licensed mechanics generally don't do oil changes at dealers...they have lube techs for that and they are generally $12 per hour kids and their work reflects it... Generally. There are still some who care about their work. I've known a few who truly did care and we're working their way up in the dealer with a plan to become a mechanic...that's who you hope you get.

Quick lube...forget it...derelicts and thieves.

^^^Absolutely true. No way a real skilled mechanic is going to be doing oil changes unless there's no work.

I have had terrible experiences at my GM dealer with the "free" oil changes. Just completely quit even trying there.

I must say my RAM dealer has been amazing so far, I might trust them to pull it off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back