Ever have an "old guy" day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My observation is that, whatever people are like when they are young, they become more so as they age. If they are nice and considerate, they become nicer. If they are easily frustrated and angry, they get more frustrated and angrier.

You found one of each, with your customers today.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Sorry, but the user interface on most clock radios totally blows.

All buttons lined up in one row.
Cheapest, smallest buttons known to man, with graphics legend to match. Likely in black, which doesn't help to see it in the bedroom.

Time still resets to 12:00 after brief power outage.

Here ya' go. This is a clock radio.
10-key entry. Auto-brightness control. Battery backup. Every button performs a single function, volume is a slider.
Easy-peasy to set the time, set one (or two) alarms.
Tuning: not so hot. Either direct entry or scan via up/down.

maxresdefault.jpg

This one wins just because of the high class woodtone contact paper!!!

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I have them every day...I'm old.
Thanks for putting up with me.

Smoky

Not fair, you took my post....
31.gif

Count me in on that too.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
I've never figured I could work with the general public and be subjected to that kind of customer. That said, the old guy may have an attitude based on experience with other "younger" people in retail - a lot of them are clueless and incapable of interacting with others. He could also be afflicted with some level of dementia - such people can be completely oblivious to the feelings of others. Of course he could well be a cranky old jerk.

I'm quickly heading into the "old" category. It could very well be that this older guy was just frustrated with himself and that he didn't get it. I can say that I have difficulty with electronics that require pushing one or two buttons while holding another one down, etc. I gave up trying to figure out my girlfriends iPod thing. Too annoying.
But yes, he could also, like me, have his doubts about the younger generation being very kind or helpful. He may have came into the whole thing with great prejudice.

Anyway...we'll all be old someday...VERY old if we are lucky. Best to just be tolerant of the seniors citizens. But no good excuse for him to have been so nasty.

Originally Posted By: gman2304

It's having to deal with all kinds of personalities when working in retail. I'd personally rather deal with old guys than young guys that are overflowing with testosterone.

From what I have seen, maybe it is just here, the younger crowd are more into staring at their phones than actually communicating. I usually have to tell the college kids at the front counter to put their phone down if they want me to help them. BTW I'm 32 and already feeling old.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

I'm quickly heading into the "old" category.

It says quite a lot when you can admit your faults. First step is admitting it!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: gman2304

It's having to deal with all kinds of personalities when working in retail. I'd personally rather deal with old guys than young guys that are overflowing with testosterone.

From what I have seen, maybe it is just here, the younger crowd are more into staring at their phones than actually communicating. I usually have to tell the college kids at the front counter to put their phone down if they want me to help them. BTW I'm 32 and already feeling old.

They DO stare at those gizmos. Probably at least 75% of the time.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: andrewg

I'm quickly heading into the "old" category.

It says quite a lot when you can admit your faults. First step is admitting it!

No problem admitting it. It's unavoidable.

Not a week goes by where I don't notice my age effecting me in some way.

Thanks guys, it was an interesting day, that was for sure! I'm pretty good with all ages, as I simply put myself in their shoes. Believe or not, the older folk like me a bunch (and sometimes come looking for me! :eek:) because I take that time to actually understand what they want and why. I'll take the time to explain to them....

Even set a toaster oven (at her house) for a sweet old lady who was by herself, and some to explain all these butttons to her! Granted, I got to go home with some tasty cookies...
grin.gif

I've always prided myself on having the best customer service, as I'm good with everybody! Just with retail, it is just getting too wild for me....it's time for me to move on, which I am working on.

Though I do have to say, this clock only had 6 buttons, which actually say what they do-that was the scary part...

Originally Posted By: spackard
Sorry, but the user interface on most clock radios totally blows.

One can always default to read the manual.
wink.gif
As for the clock radio you posted, it is nice, but you have to have a dedicated nightstand for it with reinforced legs.

Doog: Or, he could have said put your trifocals on and read the manual.
wink.gif

While I started out with delivering papers and cutting neighborhood widow's lawns, then in junior high I was at the corner drug store and in high school the hardware store and finally the 5th Target store opened. I never was in retail and dealing directly with customers again, but the experience was invaluable in learning about human behavior=more veluable than a college degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back