Installing a dish washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. My wife has finally won out and we are going to buy a dish washer.
My questions are regarding installing.
I understand how to do it. Tap into hot water and to the drain. Also what about electrical. Mine would sit where a cabinet is now. So I'd have to cut that out to fit properly and there's an electrical outlet on the wall right above the counter top. Ideally I guess you would cut a hole in the wall and run wires from outlet down to the dish washer. Issue is the cabinets are wood on the back to so I'd have to cut through that and then through the wall which I believe it plaster. Now instead of all of that could I take a little hole saw drill a hole in the top of the counter at the back on the counter top and then run a power cord off the washer and plug it into the outlet? I'd of course make the whole nice and neat and would like to find a way to cap it so it looks as professional as possible. What do you guys think? I'm only asking the question I know not much about carpentry and don't pretend to know much about it I just know it has to get installed and it's my job to get it done. All help is appreciated.

If the cabinet next to the sink is 24" wide you're set. You should have a dedicated circuit for the D/W and there should be knockout in the disposal for the drain.

Mine has a separate outlet under the sink that its plugged into.

on a 20amp non-cafci breaker.

You put the drain into the knockout on the garbage disposal.
and tap the hotwater.
IF no garbage disposal you tap into the drain directly.

The installation isnt too hard but the electrical can be an issue if you have typical bunch of outlets on same breaker type old kitchen setup.

See if you can find out what is on that line, start flipping breakers. If there is only something like a light on that line, then I wouldn't worry about tapping the dishwasher into it. If the fridge and garbage disposal is on it, then I'd have a new line run.

If tapping into that line, run the electrical wire down and cut a hole under the cabinets and install a gang box for an outlet, then plug the dishwasher into it. You don't want to hard-wire it to the wall. Shouldn't be too hard cutting the hole in the wall and running something down through to electrical tape the romex through and pull it through to wire it.

Run a separate electrical line and be sure to put one of those plug in surge protectors that you plug the dishwasher into. I use the Belkin brand ones that have a $25k surge protection policy for whatever is plugged into them. They cost about $15 and prevent power spikes from frying the controls in your appliances. I have them on everything in my home.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F9H220-TVL-DL-2-Outlet-joules-Protector/dp/B00DMLQ5VW

Last edited:
Separate circuit and check code - may need blank face gfci too.

Hose routing for the drain is critical. Connection to a disposal is easy, if you have one.

just get a two way valve for the hot and you can connect with hard copper or stainless braided.

So I'm guessing you don't have a garbage disposer, otherwise you'd have an outlet under the sink already? I'd hire an electrician to install the outlet, then you can do the rest of the installation yourself.

Is your sink pre-cut for the air gap?

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
So I'm guessing you don't have a garbage disposer, otherwise you'd have an outlet under the sink already? I'd hire an electrician to install the outlet, then you can do the rest of the installation yourself.

Is your sink pre-cut for the air gap?

Air gap? Opps. You threw him another curveball that he didn't see coming. He says he knows how to install but his questions prove otherwise. He needs to hire this out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I know not much about carpentry and don't pretend to know much about it I just know it has to get installed and it's my job to get it done. All help is appreciated.

If you don't know much about carpentry, then leave the installation to someone who does. It's not difficult, but given your questions it's clear that this won't be a simple installation. You need electrical work (and you're not planning on doing it right), and if the plumbing isn't set up for a dishwasher you'll have some work to do there.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Now instead of all of that could I take a little hole saw drill a hole in the top of the counter at the back on the counter top and then run a power cord off the washer and plug it into the outlet? I'd of course make the whole nice and neat and would like to find a way to cap it so it looks as professional as possible. What do you guys think?

That is neither neat nor professional whatsoever.

The dishwasher is normally on its own 15 amp circuit, but I doubt there is a requirement for that. It probably does not have a cord with plug. Run the hot water with a braided SS hose, you do not want it bursting down the road.

Not sure how anyone can get along without a dishwasher!

Originally Posted By: Donald
The dishwasher is normally on its own 15 amp circuit, but I doubt there is a requirement for that. It probably does not have a cord with plug. Run the hot water with a braided SS hose, you do not want it bursting down the road.

Not sure how anyone can get along without a dishwasher!

Every house I have had has the diswasher plugged into an outlet under the sink.

When you buy the dishwasher buy the electric cord as an ala carte item and wire it that way if you have an outlet.

It is even in the directions you can wire it like that.

I am a Licensed electrician for 30 years.
Motor load over 1/8 hp needs a separate circuit .
If you have a basement you can run it underneath , put a cord on the dishwasher , cut a hole in the floor and plug it into the new circuit. Use a single outlet or you violate code. That also gets around the need for gfci and creates a disconnect for the dishwasher.
Do not put the hole or the plug under the motor. keep it away from the water inlet or the hole you made in the floor, in case of future leaks.
There is more too this. This is just basic knowledge.

Ok so I can just run a new circuit down to it and plug it in below the counter top on the new circuit. I hate having to cut holes in the wall but that shouldnt be to difficult.

I would not drill a hole in your countertop.....everything will fall down there, or at least some stuff, even if you use a tight grommet/seal on that cord. Besides, it would be Very Very out of place

BTW, what's your dish usage cycle like...
Before I had kids, while we had a DW, we always used the sink to wash, as it was much faster. Only used the DW during the holidays or when I had a bunch guest over (we do entertain quite a bit).

MOST modern DW take anywhere from 2 Hrs - 2 3/4 runs to run....

When the opportunity arose, I installed a Pro Grade DW that only takes 20 minutes to run a cleaning cycle.

Hopefully this sheds some light, if you were not aware of how long it takes for a Modern Dishwasher cycle....

Run a new circuit off your break box specific to Dishwasher. Otherwise when you run something else in kitchen (typically high draw appliances) and dishwasher you'll overload wiring and likely get snapped circuits.

My guess its code beyond common sense to have a separate circuit for dishwasher. Typically they are hardwired not an outlet. If you place an outlet you'll be tempted to power a garbage disposal which is another high draw appliance......

If you buy a decent dishwasher and have decent water chemistry(hardness etc) you will use significantly less water putting in barely rinsed dishes in then typical sink cycle.

I would check your local building code. In my area, a dishwasher has to be on its own breaker circuit and hardwired.
And I don't make it look professional, but instead ensure you are installing it to the same standards as a professional would. From your description, the installation would be far from professional nor would it look professional.

I know in my house I have two separate outlets under my sink. One for the garbage disposal and another for the dish washer. If I were you I would get an estimate from a Professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back