Lucas Extreme Duty CLP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does this site continually do this? Spread hearsay about Lucas products just because one member said something negative and then all others ride the bandwagon?

Obviously they as a company have been around a LONG time so something must be working for them! I'm not a proponent of them at all, I and others have used their trans additive "No slip" with great success in the past though. As a matter of fact, one of the best local transmission builders in this area required a bottle of their additive to be used with every trans he built or he wouldn't warranty it...

I'f a fan of Lucas products. Their Fuel treatment works as advertised. I check my gas mileage religiously, and the additive adds 5% to my mileage. Have also used their big truck products. Their hub oil comes to mind. I was able to limp a trailer with a bad seal to the yard to get fixed and it was throwing out oil bad. The Lucas seemed to stop it, but the shop had to put new brakes on the trailer as they got soaked w/oil.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Why does this site continually do this? Spread hearsay about Lucas products just because one member said something negative and then all others ride the bandwagon?

I get sick of reading that kind of nonsense as well. It's the reason I quit going to AR-15.com. I got sick and tired of reading how every 22 year old mall ninja thinks every AR-15 rifle ever built is junk, unless it was built by Colt or BCM...... Unless they now have a new flavor of the month.

I have never seen a VOA list "popularity percentage", but this might be a first, lol!

Seriously...anyone know what's in it? The oil product is 20% ZDDP, I believe, but the CLP doesn't list anything but petroleum distillates.

Originally Posted By: Al
Anything made by Lucas...run away quickly.

I'm lubing my guns with Lucas and then using a fram orange can for a suppressor
lol.gif
lol.gif

I picked up some samples of Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil (Not the CLP) at a USPSA club. I've used it to lube an AR and I've also used it on a few pistols. The Extreme Duty Gun Oil has some kind of tackifier in it that makes it very clingy, almost like a semi-liquid grease. It doesn't seem to stay in place better than a standard oil.

I'm not sure if the Extreme Duty CLP would do the same or not but, I think their Extreme Duty Gun Oil is a decent product.

The main thing that I found objectionable to the Extreme Duty Gun Oil was the smell. It seems like Lucas purposely tried to perfume it, maybe some kind of berry scent, it definitely has a perfumed odor to it. However, it still smells strongly of additives, almost like a gear oil.

Lots and lots of good reports on the net about this Lucas extreme duty gun oil, especially on high heat platforms such as the AR-15.

There is also speculation that the Lucas gun grease is nothing more than Lucas marine grease and the Lucas extreme gun oil is nothing more than one of the Lucas additives.

I wont go out of my way to buy this new Lucas gun oil, but will get some if I see it.

Lucas products are justifiably not liked, they tout their products with all kinds of marketing and advertising but they under treat everything. If they say meet or exceeds on anything you can guarantee they barely meet.

Also the fact that a transmission rebuilder requires Lucas additive in a rebuild just shows how little wrench turners know about fluids.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Lucas products are justifiably not liked, they tout their products with all kinds of marketing and advertising

Yea..I have seen enough over decades to avoid their stuff in general. Certainly possible they have a good product here and there.

But seriously...what lube (including Lucas) won't work on a firearm. Be hard to prove one lube works better than another one. Tough to get a UOA on used gun oil. I just simply won't spend money on a gun lube. That's just me.

A pistol like the Ruger LPC..they don't want any oil except a slight film (from a slightly oiled cloth) anywhere on the pistol. Oil collects dirt/power which affects reliability. So obviously they are prepared to accept a nominal wear basically by using no lubricant. That's why (to me) a magic elixir oil isn't necessary. And I would challenge anyone to prove a mixture of ATF/Gear Lube and a needle oiler is inferior to any oil/grease they want to name .

I'm definitely not a fan of Lucas engine oil treatment.

It goes against everything I've learned through this site over the years about engine oil, which is that you need an oil that will quickly pump to the bearings and other load-bearing metal-to-metal surfaces in the engine on cold startup.

Lucas is thick goo.

If I had an engine with worn rings and seals, I'd go with something like a high-mileage oil instead.

Their gas treatment is snake oil.

Unfortunately, they prey on people who are pretty uneducated about the science and chemistry of engine oils.

^ For the above reasons, I wouldn't give their gun oils a second look.

Lucas products are justifiably not liked, they tout their products with all kinds of marketing and advertising but they under treat everything.

Why should Lucas be any different than any other producer of oil additives out there?

Originally Posted By: billt460
Lucas products are justifiably not liked, they tout their products with all kinds of marketing and advertising but they under treat everything.

Why should Lucas be any different than any other producer of oil additives out there?

For one they have way more advertising and marketing plus they actually make a modern motor oil too, so they get a lot more attention when it comes to this matter.

I mentioned Lucas to the shell chemist and it illicited a response about how some companies must make oil in their bathtubs

grin.gif

Obviously they as a company have been around a LONG time so something must be working for them! I'm not a proponent of them at all, I and others have used their trans additive "No slip" with great success in the past though. As a matter of fact, one of the best local transmission builders in this area required a bottle of their additive to be used with every trans he built or he wouldn't warranty it...

Lucas has only been around since 1989, that's not a long time at all compared to the legitimate oil companies.

They sell a gimmick. They market based on gimmick. Obviously this works.

Put some chainsaw bar oil in the Lucas demo machine and watch how it performs. That doesn't make it a good choice for the crankcase of your car however. Tackifier isn't added to engine oil because it isn't needed.

As a matter of fact, one of the best local transmission builders in this area required a bottle of their additive to be used with every trans he built or he wouldn't warranty it...

Which means absolutely nothing, right?

I mentioned Lucas to the shell chemist and it illicited a response about how some companies must make oil in their bathtubs.

Gee, that's a real shocker. Go ask the brew master at Budweiser what he thinks about Miller and see what he says.

Gee, that's a real shocker. Go ask the brew master at Budweiser what he thinks about Miller and see what he says.

Actuallyt it may be the same brewmaster Bud bought Miller.

I mentioned Lucas to the shell chemist and it illicited a response about how some companies must make oil in their bathtubs.

Shell has the highest R&D budget of any of the oil companies. He didn't speak bad about ExxonMobil products which is the #2 company for R&D $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back