I've Become a Ballistol Advocate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My word, man! This is BITOG! How can you have avoided reading about MMO??

Marvel Mystery Oil, the magic elixir that cures every problem with all things mechanical. Cleans engines! Dissolves sludge! Restores old firearms! Fixes worn injectors! Losens stuck piston rings!

MMO has started, or been mentioned in, more threads than any other product on this forum...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Marvel Mystery Oil, the magic elixir that cures every problem with all things mechanical. Cleans engines! Dissolves sludge! Restores old firearms! Fixes worn injectors! Losens stuck piston rings!

Don't forget it cures cancer, shingles, arthritis, and many other maladies in in humans.
wink.gif

MMO has started, or been mentioned in, more threads than any other product on this forum...

Got it. Thanks. As I said, I don't do abbreviations very well. I have Marvel Mystery Oil sitting on the shelf. I don't have "MMO" laying around anywhere.

In regards to Weapon Shield and the older FP-10 formulations, there was a great discussion on BITOG about 10 years back. I'll leave this here for some good reading: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=302916

The main thing that sticks out in my mind is how the chlorinated paraffins are usually used to get impressive falex test results. Obviously the intention is to use that single test to imply that the oil must be superior in all other fields as well but, it's just a single test using a single additive component to achieve a desired result. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a better gun oil.

Militec 1 is another product that uses chlorinated paraffins and it has been associated with metal fatigue in some AR applications. IIRC it was related to bolt failures in ARs. So I'm still on the fence about using products with chlorinated paraffins, including Weapon Shield. For now I stick to more conventional oils like Breakfree CLP or G96 Gun Treatment.

I think Ballistol is over priced for what it is. I can easily buy Breakfree CLP or G96 Gun Treatment for less, and they are newer formulations that don't stink to high heaven (G96 Gun Treatment actually has a cinnamon smell to it). All of these products will leave a "metal skillet" type feel if sprayed on a barrel and then wiped off. I do not think that Ballistol is unique in this regard. As other members have already noted, this does not mean it is "conditioning" the metal, rather it's just a property of wiping oil off of metal to leave a thin film that feels dry to the touch.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Got it. Thanks. As I said, I don't do abbreviations very well. I have Marvel Mystery Oil sitting on the shelf. I don't have "MMO" laying around anywhere.

Blasphemy to say you don't do abbreviations on BITOG!!

Originally Posted By: 90crvtec
In regards to Weapon Shield and the older FP-10 formulations, there was a great discussion on BITOG about 10 years back. I'll leave this here for some good reading: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=302916

The main thing that sticks out in my mind is how the chlorinated paraffins are usually used to get impressive falex test results. Obviously the intention is to use that single test to imply that the oil must be superior in all other fields as well but, it's just a single test using a single additive component to achieve a desired result. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a better gun oil.

Militec 1 is another product that uses chlorinated paraffins and it has been associated with metal fatigue in some AR applications. IIRC it was related to bolt failures in ARs. So I'm still on the fence about using products with chlorinated paraffins, including Weapon Shield. For now I stick to more conventional oils like Breakfree CLP or G96 Gun Treatment.

I think Ballistol is over priced for what it is. I can easily buy Breakfree CLP or G96 Gun Treatment for less, and they are newer formulations that don't stink to high heaven (G96 Gun Treatment actually has a cinnamon smell to it). All of these products will leave a "metal skillet" type feel if sprayed on a barrel and then wiped off. I do not think that Ballistol is unique in this regard. As other members have already noted, this does not mean it is "conditioning" the metal, rather it's just a property of wiping oil off of metal to leave a thin film that feels dry to the touch.

I read a bit over on the other thread. Good points about the chlorinated parrafins and halogenated hydrocarbons.

I'm quite sure I don't need that stuff on my guns or on my hands.

Again, I like Ballistol because it's a do-it-all product (well, except lubing higher-load metal-on-metal parts like the slide rails and barrel & slide lugs and barrel hood and barrel-bushing lockup on my tightly-fitted 1911, for which I use something with higher viscosity and anti-wear agents - M1).

What I primarily like about Ballistol is that it has GOOD cleaning properties, and leaves surfaces slick and resistant to adhesion of carbon residue and corrosion, AND conditions wood and leather, and does all this without an offensive smell (again, my opinion) or any harsh or toxic chemicals. I don't worry a bit about getting on my hands, either. With any of those other products you mentioned, I wouldn't want to get them on my bare hands.

As far as Ballistol "conditioning" the metal, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, it actually IS conditioning the metal, for all intents and purposes, IF Ballistol is ALL you use on the gun...because you are not removing the molecular film that is deposited with every use with a solvent. Of course, other CLPs would have this effect, too, if you used them exclusively.

So, as others have stated, as well, it's a GOOD (maybe not great) non-toxic, non-damaging to wood, leather or synthetic, do-it-all CLP that smells good (my opinion). YOU might have another opinion.
smile.gif

FWIW, for those of you using Ballistol, are you using the aerosol can or the pump can?

I have and keep both around. I find that there's a noticeable difference in viscosity between the two(with the aerosol being less viscous) and also find the smell of the aerosol to be a bit more "pungent." I haven't taken either into the lab to measure their viscosity difference or see if there's any difference in their make-up(I'm still working on trying to sort out old and new Unique
smile.gif
)

The aerosol stays in my range bag as I find it VERY handy as a quick cleaner at the range and especially to wipe the gun down on a moist day. I don't have to worry about it leaking on everything as the spray bottle can do.

On the other hand, the squirt bottle stuff is a LOT cheaper and I think it makes a better general preservative.

And, I'll say again that Ballistol should put Hickok45 on their payroll
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AMC

Both can be used for cleaning carburators and can both be added to fuel, MMO is probably better (stronger) though.

I dont think that ballistol is good at cleaning carburetors.....because when it "dries out" it becomes like vaseline.....and that is substance wich u dont want in your yets and small passages inside your carburetor
wink.gif

I bought a can of Ballistol. I use it to wipe down garden tools with wood handles, my Gransfors-Bruks axes, and occasionally, a wood-stock firearm.

But I don't use it as a CLP on my firearms...there are better options for that.

I bought a can of Ballistol. I use it to wipe down garden tools with wood handles, my Gransfors-Bruks axes, and occasionally, a wood-stock firearm.

But I don't use it as a CLP on my firearms...there are better options for that.

I think I saw a Hickok45 video where he was talking about Gransfor-Bruks axes. They're made in Sweden or Norway?

Hand forged in Sweden. They are truly hand-crafted tools. Each axe head has the initials of the craftsman forged into it. In my case: RA. Rune Andersson made my large splitting axe. It's a great tool. My kid brother now has five of them and uses them frequently.

They hold a razor sharp edge. The handles are Hickory and perfectly fitted. They're expensive, but the feel and the effectiveness are unmatched. I enjoy splitting wood with them.

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AMC

But very few others do all 3; cleaning, lubing, and protecting all while being non toxic and good for wood, leather and plastic. It also is one of the few clp's that cleans black powder and corrosive residues.

Exactly. Just cleaned four pistols with it today, with no worries about wood grips on a colt 1911, etc.

I shoot a lot of pistol caliber lever action rifle, and the fact that it can get on the wood, and even be applied to the wood helps.

There was a Ballistol booth at the NWTF show last week, picked up a few packets to try. It does smell bad. The guys at the booth were trying to get me to switch, currently use AMSOIL. LOL, told them that's not happening, they wouldn't be able to pay me enough to switch...

Anyhow, just cleaned a ruger MarkII .22 pistol with it. I suppose it worked okay. I'll see how it lasts. I don't think it does any better than the AMSOIL Firearm cleaner, and it seems way thicker than the Firearm lubricant from AMSOIL.

Originally Posted by AMC
Originally Posted by Robenstein

And it tends to gum up after a while....but so does Ballistol, but it takes a LONG time for it to happen.

I have to disagree with this one. My henry survival rifle was sprayed down heavily with Ballistol after it was cleaned and put away in my vehicle for about 3 years. I have check on it recently and the Ballistol does dry to a light film but it is a very slick, almost waxy type of feeling. It is in no way sticky, gummy or would stop the gun from working. Also, any type of friction or agitation instantly turns the Ballistol liquid and runny again. One of Ballistol's website has a report of a container of Ballistol being found with the cap off for several decades and the Ballistol was still usable once it was discovered.

On another note, here is a pretty good page about Ballistol with alot of information:

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ballistol/

And yet, Ballistol's own FAQ page advises as follows:

STORAGE OF NON-AEROSOL BALLISTOL, AND TRIGGER SPRAYER QUESTIONS.
If you are using a trigger sprayer attached to the non-aerosol Ballistol can, remove after use and return the original cap. Ballistol can leak from the trigger sprayer, and will be exposed to air. Ballistol has an indefinite shelf-life when the original cap is returned to the can. Ballistol will not "mist" out of the trigger sprayer, but will instead shoot a "stream". For a mist application, please use our aerosol version.

https://ballistol.com/faqs/?gclid=C...idFewzgzh7rnHXetopOKkJ2V0pAaAjWMEALw_wcB

Ballistol has a ton of uses, and I keep some around. For instance, I do keep a little 1.5 ounce aerosol can in my range bag. It's a fine at-range, quick solution. And I've cleaned my share of handguns with it.
That said, it's not my mainline oil or CLP.
First, I've seen it gum up when exposed to air over a period of months/years. Second, I think it's probably an adequate lube, but that's about it. I have a couple other choices when I want a straight lube application (usually from a needle dropper for oil, from a syringe for grease).
The CLP I keep on my bench remains the G96 Gun Oil (the 4-ounce bottle is the same stuff as the G96 Complete Gun Treatment, but in a non-aerosol).
Just my preference, doesn't prove anything.

If a topic interests you please start a new thread. Dragging up a four year old version to respond to helps no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back