6th-Gen Camaro 1LE: Two of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I stopped contributing to my 401K for a few years, maybe I could afford one?

Quote:
The Chevrolet Camaro 1LE performance package returns for 2017, poised to set new benchmarks for attainable track performance.

The package builds off the success of the previous-generation 1LE, offering increased handling and track performance. In response to customer demand, Chevrolet will offer two distinct 1LE packages, for both V6 and V8 models, each visually distinguished with a satin black hood, specific wheels and more.

For the first time, the 1LE package will be available on Camaro 1LT or 2LT coupes equipped with the 3.6L V6. Featuring more aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo brakes and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, the LT 1LE delivers an estimated 0.97G in cornering grip. Available Recaro seats will keep you planted through the corners, and an available Performance Data Recorder will allow you to view and share your track experience.

The new 1LE package for Camaro 1SS models includes magnetic ride control, with a new FE4 suspension tuning and a new, segment-exclusive electronic limited slip differential (eLSD). Paired with massive Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, lateral acceleration will exceed 1G. Additional features available on the 1LE package include standard Recaro seats and a Performance Data Recorder (PDR), new to the Camaro lineup.

As a result, the 1LE package elevates the award-winning performance that earned Camaro the 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year and Car and Driver 10Best awards.

“The Camaro 1LE packages follow a recipe any track-day enthusiast will appreciate,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “Start with a lightweight, stiff structure and then add higher levels of suspension stiffness and damping, more aggressive tires, higher downforce, more powerful brakes and more cooling.

“The result delivers better performance in all measures,” said Oppenheiser. “In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model. The 2016 Camaro SS 1LE sets the new benchmark for the segment, lapping the Big Willow track at Willow Springs three seconds faster than the standard Camaro SS.”

The new 1LE packages are available in late 2016, on 2017 Camaro SS and LT V-6 coupes equipped with manual transmissions. Pricing and performance data will be announced at a later date.

Camaro LT 1LE

The Camaro LT 1LE was developed to be the most track-capable sports coupe in its price class. Highlights include:
•3.6L V-6 rated at 335 horsepower and matched with the six-speed manual transmission
•FE3 suspension components (from the Camaro SS), including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars
•Lightweight 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40R20 front tires and 275/35R20 rear tires
•Brembo 4-piston front brake calipers
•Mechanical Limited-slip differential with 3.27 ratio
•Standard track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
•Suede steering wheel and shorter-throw shifter
•Standard dual mode exhaust system
•Camaro SS fuel system for higher-load cornering capability
•Satin black hood, front splitter and unique three-piece rear spoiler
•Unique high flow upper and lower grille with satin black accents
•Available Recaro seats and PDR video/data recording system.

“With a curb weight under 3,500 pounds, excellent front-to-rear weight balance and the precision of the FE3 suspension, the Camaro LT 1LE offers unmatched capability in its class,” said Oppenheiser. “As a result, it offers incredible performance for Camaro V-6 customers.”

Camaro SS 1LE

The 2017 Camaro SS 1LE introduces the new FE4 suspension to the Gen Six Camaro – a performance-oriented chassis system with specific tuning for the Magnetic Ride dampers, springs and stabilizer bars. Additional highlights include:
•6.2L LT1 V-8 rated at 455 horsepower, and six-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
•Magnetic Ride Control
•Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
•Unique forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
•Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro – offering exceptional grip on the track
•Brembo brakes with new six-piston monobloc front red calipers – featuring the 1LE logo – and two-piece rotors. Measuring 14.6 inches (370mm) in diameter, the front rotors are 7 percent larger than Camaro SS
•Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
•Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
•Dual mode exhaust system
•Recaro front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
•Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
•Satin Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
•Available PDR video/data recording system.

FAST FACT: The 1LE package was developed in 1988 to make the Camaro more competitive in Showroom Stock road racing series and officially debuted in 1989. Four examples were reportedly built in 1988; with 111 built in 1989. The 1LE package was also featured on fourth-gen vehicles through the 1999 model year, returning to the fifth-gen Camaro in 2013.

I loved driving the 2015 1LE I test drove, but the lack of outward visibility was a deal-breaker. I'm virtually certain that I'd love the 2017, but I suspect it will cost at least 25% more than my CPO 2er.

14.6" front rotor and 6 piston caliper - that's some serious leverage and clamping force. The standard brakes that are coming on new cars now are unbelievable - even my Dart has 12" front rotors. When some idiot is tailgating you, you have to be careful with brake application unless you want a customized trunk lid.

This sounds like a GREAT option on the 6th gen, but, in order to compete with the GT 350 R, they will need to come up with; more NA power (NO huffers!!), even less weight yet, and even better grip/handling than this package gives (something even BEYOND the 5th gen Z28).

The 1LE package is/will be a great value for the money. But, it is silly to buy a "track-ready" suspension just to drive on the street where you would be sacrificing daily compliance for capability you can't use.

Chevy is already claiming a 3.0 sec per lap advantage over the std SS which lapped quicker than the Gen5 1LE, so it will be potent indeed. I'm sure we'll see plenty of comparos vs the Mustang boys to see where it slots into the performance hierarchy. It will be about a $40,000 Camaro so it's a bit disingenuous to start comparing it to the top-of-the-line $70,000 Ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
This sounds like a GREAT option on the 6th gen, but, in order to compete with the GT 350 R, they will need to come up with; more NA power (NO huffers!!), even less weight yet, and even better grip/handling than this package gives (something even BEYOND the 5th gen Z28).

Likely the new Z28 will be blown, easily keeping up with HP. But I like N/A power better, too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...te-specs-page-4

The regular SS easily whips a Track Pack Stang 5.0. I really don't think a halo car (GT350) is anybody's worry at GM, there's no volume in it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why not make a lightweight Camaro ?

It's a boat with lots of power. I like cars like the C6 Z06.

At 3700 pounds in loaded V8 form it is already lighter than most competitors. I agree that's still a bit of a toad, but these days you simply can't have all the toys and required safety features and low weight too.

Note that is less than 100 pounds more than a ZO6 with a stick shift!

Last edited:

Well, the new Gen6 Alpha chassis Camaro is 2-300 lbs lighter than Gen5. People don't want to give up all the creature comforts like a/c, power windows and seats etc etc. some on the Camaro boards are [censored] that 1LE is only available on 1SS and not the higher content 2SS. Obviously, Most buyers just want the street cred of a track special and will never go near one.

Me? After experiencing the convertible, I have no interest in a coupe regardless of how much they modify it. You would be shocked at the limits of my Gen5 vert on the street with standard suspension, tires and brakes (not engine though).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver

Well, the new Gen6 Alpha chassis Camaro is 2-300 lbs lighter than Gen5. People don't want to give up all the creature comforts like a/c, power windows and seats etc etc. some on the Camaro boards are [censored] that 1LE is only available on 1SS and not the higher content 2SS. Obviously, Most buyers just want the street cred of a track special and will never go near one.

I did not see it mentioned in the press release posted by A Harman above, but let us HOPE that this option also has an available infotainment, A/C, and power everything DELETE option (just like the original 3rd gen 1LEs did) to save a little more weight for the (REAL) hard core trackies.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
It will be about a $40,000 Camaro so it's a bit disingenuous to start comparing it to the top-of-the-line $70,000 Ford.

That's LIST, most stealerships will be adding/GOUGING customers with a $30K-$35K + 'market adjustment' raping for the (GT 350) R model.
frown.gif
mad.gif

The one I was in today was asking a cool $20K extra for their one allocated white with blue stripes regular GT 350 sitting in the showroom.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/02/2017...e6438-312403517

The target is the GT 350, not the 'R'. Sounds like they're pretty confident of success. And with ZL1 and maybe another Z28 in the works, The General has plenty of ammo to knock off the R.

Last edited:
The point was to compare MSRPs, in other words, the dollar content the manufacturer has to work with. Because if Chevy produces Camaro road race content that stickers for $70k, they will blow Ford away just like the last gen.

The Ford GT350 is so much better it's not even funny. There is a shootout in one of the recent auto magazines out there. Everyone says the Ford is just so much better.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
The Ford GT350 is so much better it's not even funny. There is a shootout in one of the recent auto magazines out there. Everyone says the Ford is just so much better.

I HOPE SO, for a $35K-$55K price difference, depending on the greedy dealer's gouging of the GT 350, vs. the standard 6th gen SS the rags tested against it.
wink.gif

Really the standard SS is not even intended to compare to a limited production halo car like the GT350R. Apples versus oranges.

Doesn't diminish my respect for the Stang as it is an outrageous performer indeed.

Wait till we see the new Z28 please, then we'll see who is what...

I find the V6's integrated exhaust manifold interesting. It obviously completely prevents the use of headers or equal length tuned exhaust manifolds. Yet, GM claims a 10% increase in exhaust flow.

ctsengine_2.jpg

integrated-manifold.jpg

What's old is new again!

Last edited:
I might be looking at the V6 1LE depending on the price. 336 and around 3,300-3,400lbs is about right. As long as they don't price it too far over $30K

I would like to have a handling oriented GT car (without receiving the German maintenance bill). I don't need the V8, but it has to been enough of a sleeper that I can sneak up on the local WRX/370Z hanging around, I am happy.

And yes, you can have a lightweight car and the safety regs... silly American "muscle" just has not figured it out yet. I have no doubt that they could make a 3,000 or less monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back