Smart Phone Spare Battery Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
My smart phone has been replaced with the same model, and they threw in a new battery, but I am still using the old phone's battery as it is perfectly good.

I live in a place where the summers are very hot, and have long kept spare batteries in the refrigerator. Can I do the same with this lithium battery? I can see it go bad in a year or so if it is stored in a hot drawer in the shed.

Your thoughts?

I believe I read that they should not be stored full, more like about 50%.

Just a normal home environment should be fine.

Do you have a disaster plan in place in case your battery dies, you can't recharge it and you can't get to your backup battery?

Would you know where your family members are? And do you have food and water available until help arrives? Can you rely on your neighbors or co-works to help? Being stranded and isolated like this could have serious consequences.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Do you have a disaster plan in place in case your battery dies, you can't recharge it and you can't get to your backup battery?

Would you know where your family members are? And do you have food and water available until help arrives? Can you rely on your neighbors or co-works to help? Being stranded and isolated like this could have serious consequences.

????

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

????

I thought it was pretty funny.

The OP is overthinking this, IMO.

Charge it to exactly 92.5% which is the scientifically proven way to maximize shelf life in Li batteries. Then it must be cryonically preserved at -230F in liquid nitrogen and thawed monthly in a special oven designed to defrost Li batteries. Under no circumstances should you use the ovens designed to defrost NiMH batteries, as they will destroy your $10 spare battery.

If you're unable to do the above, you can just charge it to 80% and store it at room temperature... Then repeat every 4 months. And it'll be almost as good as new in a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back