Super Tech Syn 5/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline user for years, but I was drawn to the Super Tech side of the oil force, couldn't resist the price $17.47 per 5 gallon jug. On top of that, I bought a Fram Tough Guard filter, but a Mobil 1 or Purolator user for years on those also.

I am going to put it into my 2005 Chrysler Town and Country, 3.8 6 cylinder.

The Super Tech is Dexos approved, so my thoughts were it must be as good in quality as the Mobil, Pennzoil and Valvoline product - am I wrong in this?

RevRider

Yup, it's good to go. Most places in the country it's blended by Warren.

I did a 5000 mile test vs Amsoil, M1 and VWB and it did just as well at that distance.

The van is my wife's car, she puts on 2,500 miles per 6 months, a lot of street driving, the manual calls for oil changes at 6 month intervals, which is what I've been doing since we bought the care in 2005.

Since I am not going to do extended drain intervals, I feel it is probably a waste of money to spend for the "name-brands."

So Warren makes Super Tech?

I don't know...QSUD is only $4 more for 5 quarts at Walmart and it has excellent UOAs so I'll probably stick to my QSUD or PP until I see a VOA on the Supertech.

I have accumulated over 800,000 miles on PP or QSUD in my family cars without any issues. So it's kind of hard to beat.

I would try QSUD for a 5000 mile 12 month OCI in your car and do a UOA and see where you are. I think you might opt for a 1 year OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Yup, it's good to go. Most places in the country it's blended by Warren.

I did a 5000 mile test vs Amsoil, M1 and VWB and it did just as well at that distance.

Walmart brand pancake syrup will do 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I don't know...QSUD is only $4 more for 5 quarts at Walmart and it has excellent UOAs so I'll probably stick to my QSUD or PP until I see a VOA on the Supertech.

I have accumulated over 800,000 miles on PP or QSUD in my family cars without any issues. So it's kind of hard to beat.

I would try QSUD for a 5000 mile 12 month OCI in your car and do a UOA and see where you are. I think you might opt for a 1 year OCI.

No major API SN oil will cause you problems.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Most places in the country it's blended by Warren.

Here in Clovis CA it's made by Citgo. My Buick loves the oil.

Formulations may have changed since early 2013, but it did fine in the PQIA testing of 5W30s.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html
Not that these numbers are the be all and end all...there is no actual engine testing done here, for example. Its results here are quite similar to an oil called Traveller, which I know nothing about. Its numbers are not too different from Amsoil OE, except that it has no moly. Super Tech looks like a solid, middle of the pack oil from these results...if you compare it to Mobil 1 5W30, it has a little lower TBN, somewhat higher NOACK, is a little thicker at extreme cold, and has no moly. But, it's in the ballpark and is a lot cheaper than M1.
I would have no issue using Super Tech 5W30 in my wife's Avalon or in my old RAV4. I feel the turbo I have now is hard on oil and I am trying to stick with low calcium blends due to LSPI concerns, so I have been using M1 5W30 and just shelled out for M1 ESP for my next warm weather change (5.6% NOACK!!! 3.58 HTHS!!! $12/liter!!!!). But, it's not like I think Super Tech would be a bad choice for my FXT, it just doesn't have some things I am looking for.

Supertech could be Citgo, Mobil, or Warren. Warren is the most common nationally, but the only way to tell would be to inspect the bottles and know the hidden markers. Regardless of the blender, it will be good for easily 7,500 miles without skipping a beat.

Originally Posted By: RevRider
I've been a Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline user for years, but I was drawn to the Super Tech side of the oil force, couldn't resist the price $17.47 per 5 gallon jug. On top of that, I bought a Fram Tough Guard filter, but a Mobil 1 or Purolator user for years on those also.

I am going to put it into my 2005 Chrysler Town and Country, 3.8 6 cylinder.

The Super Tech is Dexos approved, so my thoughts were it must be as good in quality as the Mobil, Pennzoil and Valvoline product - am I wrong in this?

RevRider

If I send you the money can you send me several of those "5 gallon" containers?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Supertech could be Citgo, Mobil, or Warren. Warren is the most common nationally, but the only way to tell would be to inspect the bottles and know the hidden markers. Regardless of the blender, it will be good for easily 7,500 miles without skipping a beat.

I wonder if WalMart gives the blenders exact specifications or they just tell them the oil needs to meet the appropriate standards and a price point, go to town?

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

+1 Use it, enjoy it. It is a good oil. I personally use it in all my small machines for years and have used it in family cars for years. Never any issues.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I wonder if WalMart gives the blenders exact specifications or they just tell them the oil needs to meet the appropriate standards and a price point, go to town?

Well, it is walmart so it will be price-point driven. I don't expect Walmart to define the specs. So, considering that Supertech is a mythical Dexos1 approved oil nowadays... it has to be a Dexos at the walmart $17.50 5qt price.

I like it for my two Toyota's. The 5/30 is in the 4cyl Camry right now and is quiet and smooth. I just bought a 5qt jug in 5/20 for my next oci coming up this weekend (just tried the 30 weight for kicks) going to 6K with it.
The v6 in the Sienna is on 5/20 PYB right now and I like it, but prolly will go back with the Super Tech. That word "synthetic", and that 18.00 price tag is too good.

I appreciate the responses.

Part of my rationale in trying Super Tech was to see if I had the internal courage to buy a non-big-name brand, as I've never done that.

I came close to buying the Quaker State, my father used that for years, that and Valvoline.

Wondering how much money I have spent in my life by being name-brand driven.

I went to the Warren site, found it impressive. I looked up specs on the PQIA, and it was in-line with the big brands like Valvoline, Mobil 1.

Thanks for all the responses.

Originally Posted By: wjli
I like it for my two Toyotas.

Fixed it for you. /apostrophe nazi

I've used the Syn Tech 5W-30 and 0W-20 in my 2008 Ridgeline with good results. Mobil 1 0W-20 had excessive consumption at about 150K miles. I've gone back to syn PPP 5W-30 with good results. Oil analysis at 8K OCI's is spot on. The Honda 3.6L v6 has wear debris in specs and runs like a scalded rat.

The Forester forum recommends T6 5W-40 for my 2013 Forester which consumes Suby 0W-20, 1qt per 750-1500 miles. I think I'll continue the PPP in the Ridgeline with 228K miles. Honestly, other syn oil analyses were very good, also.

FWIW, I had a Fram oil filter gasket fail in my 1988 Acura Integra. After that, I use OEM oil filters for my cars without a hitch. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back