Time for new tires? Or hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This must be the tire that Firestone got their tread design ideas from, when they designed the Destination LE2.

A tire that's not yet legally worn out, but is almost completely bald. There's nothing much left, but the wear indicators are still not exposed.

Without a gauge, I'm guessing 4/32"?

Seems like the consensus is to replace them, which is kind of what I wanted to hear. Money's not that tight at the moment, but I wanted some reassurance that I should buy new ones. That it's not just me wanting new tires for fun. This is the longest I've owned a vehicle, usually buying new tires doesn't come up unless the ones on a car I buy are obviously shot.

Someone mentioned that I might need an alignment due to shoulder wear. I might get one, but the truck still tracks straight and the inside shoulders of the tires are almost as bad so I believe it might be underinflation. The recommended pressure is 30psi in front and 33 in the rear which I think might be too low. I'm going to try about 36 psi front and rear and see if that makes my new tires wear more evenly.

kumhodemo.jpg

Here's a Kumho tire, probably at 7/32" in the main tread channels. Note the blocks that almost "melt together" on the shoulder. When this scrubs down a little more, the shoulder will look "very plain" while the circumferential grooves still work, evacuate water, and are legal. Even the swishy middle grooves will be gone before this hits the wear bars, but at a later point in this cheap tire's sad life.

Again, your tires look about shot, but I wouldn't condemn the shoulders as being bald. That's a "feature".
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Time to replace if you have the money

+1

Those tires are shot. Tread looks to be around 3/32 at best, and possibly less in some spots. Also, way too much cracking on the side.

what price safety ? wait a year for what ?, just sayin'

my BFG AT's only have 50K on them but are 8 yrs old and IMO too much dry rot, goin' new :)

Originally Posted By: phillyFX4
what price safety ? wait a year for what ?, just sayin'

my BFG AT's only have 50K on them but are 8 yrs old and IMO too much dry rot, goin' new :)

Why turn over the laundry detergent bottle and let it drain? Why iron out the toothpaste tube to get the last bit of toothpaste?
21.gif

I love the look of BFG AT's btw. Pretty much the go to tire when it comes to AT tires. I'd get them for my truck, but it's a little 2wd, and never goes off road.

your detergent and toothpaste aren't going 70/80 mph
wink.gif

"Why turn over the laundry detergent bottle and let it drain? Why iron out the toothpaste tube to get the last bit of toothpaste?"
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Lol!

grin.gif
They happened to make the right size and were too unique for me to pass up... You won't see another Tacoma around with them on! Ride real nice and smooth and quiet I must say. They should for a tire you might normally see on an old Cadillac or Lincoln.

Those look like vogue's they are pretty much overpriced garbage.

For "some guy" to put on his 22" spinners.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Those look like vogue's they are pretty much overpriced garbage.

For "some guy" to put on his 22" spinners.

What do you mean "some guy"!?! Lol

They are indeed Vogues. I've never heard of the brand before. I'll post here if anything goes wrong with them. As for the price, no 215/70 R15 is very expensive.

Actually I was just looking on DiscountTireDirect at 215/55 R17s for my wife's car and Vogue has some black-wall, Vogue Signature V, tires for $105.00 plus a $100 mail in rebate. These are 60,000 mile warranty tires with an A rating for traction and temperature.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...d=17&cs=215

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Do you have uniroyals on the right?
laugh.gif

If Sir Mix-A-Lot is rollin' Vogues I'm in good company
grin.gif

What's the purpose of a wear indicator? And when the wear bar is reached you still have tread, so you still have some margin.

I used to run my corvette's tires down to the treads then continue to run them until they blow on the highway. It was good experience.

These days with inspections I need to have a second set to pass. Then put the old set back on to get the rest out of them. I'm going to run a set of hoosier dirt tires "not for hwy use" this summer.

I'm still way safer than all the dips texting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back