Time to vent...shop damaged wheel...again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 2012 Accords right rear tire has been losing air to the point that I am filling it up every 3 days. I took it to our local shop after work to have it patched up. Now, we have used this shop for 10+ years and haven't had issues with the exception of scratched hub caps on my previous Accord. So I get the patch job, go out to inspect the work and saw that the wheel was covered with marks, it looked as if the clear coat was scraped off, my heart sunk. I started rubbing it and realized it was just residue so all was well in the world once again. I got home (less than 5 miles away) and re-inspected and noticed there was a small round chip where paint was missing on one of the spokes! I called them up and explained that I was not happy as the same type of damage was done on my previous car. He said to bring it in and they would take pics. I told him that I wanted a NEW wheel not a refinished one (they did this on my last car and it is not an exact match). They said they will take care of me. I have a bad feeling that when they see the price of a new wheel they will balk and get a refurbished one. I am so sick of these places not caring for customers vehicles! I didn't bother mentioning all the grease on the interior, or the fact that they tossed my Honda OEM wheel lock and put on a regular lug nut. Those things only come in 4 packs and cost $40! Just sick to my stomach now, I hope they don't damage anything putting on the new wheel!

I would be finding a new place from the sound of it. I can't find any shops I 100% trust either. There's a locally owned Pennzoil place that does tires & pretty much all mechanic work, I'm starting to trust the guys there. I've had too many bad experiences at different shops to fully trust anyone with my vehicles.

frown.gif
I know how you feel, they do [censored] quality work. Next time go to shop that specializes in big wheel tire combos. They are used to mounting tires on a wheel costing $2500 each.

Post photos of grease and damage.

Last edited:
I'd be more interested in what happened to you wheel locks. I had a halfwit toss my hubcentric adapters on a set of Borbet alloys and just throw the wheels back on. I also "enjoy" how they toss real metal valve stem caps without even asking.

Last edited:
Find a shop you like and use them often...

My wheel guy takes me about 45 minutes to get to.
My alignment guy is more like 1hr 15-30 minutes and also runs me about $20 in tolls....

Tend to be OCD with the cars and they guys that touch it.

More evidence that MOST shops don't give a darn about doing a competent job.

Don't trust ANY of them, always try and supervise without hovering over the mechanic, hopefully the place has a view of the work area and you can watch from a distance and if you see something obviously wrong you can go in and stop the damage.

After a surprise wheel mauling (all 4) at a place I had used for years, I now have a discussion prior to the work being done. I give them the option to opt out if they don't think they can do the job without damage. The last two sets have been installed at discount tire, with NO evidence of a tire change on the wheels. Even though they have performed well, I'll still have the discussion the next time. If necessary, walk them out to show them the condition of the wheels PRIOR to the job. I do that if I have to drop the car off at the dealer too. Too many bad experiences.

They may be calibrated to the typical appliance drivers that don't care, I let them know that I do care and there will be consequences for damage.

Last edited:
It's simple... fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Find somewhere else to take your business.

Its low paid tire tech with no pride in quality of work and the guy has to mount 20 tires a day. After a while they could care less.

A BITOG mod got his BMW wheel really scuffed up at a tire shop.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
After a surprise wheel mauling (all 4) at a place I had used for years, I now have a discussion prior to the work being done. I give them the option to opt out if they don't think they can do the job without damage. The last two sets have been installed at discount tire, with NO evidence of a tire change on the wheels. Even though they have performed well, I'll still have the discussion the next time. If necessary, walk them out to show them the condition of the wheels PRIOR to the job. I do that if I have to drop the car off at the dealer too. Too many bad experiences.

They may be calibrated to the typical appliance drivers that don't care, I let them know that I do care and there will be consequences for damage.

I feel like I have to do this now too. They will probably look at me like I have 2 heads though.

I just called back to leave a message about the wheel lock. I simply said that they took it off and replaced it with a regular lug nut, and that I wanted them to order the lock so they could install it when the wheel arrives. I wish I could do all of this myself to avoid damage but the reality is that I have to let others do it and pray nothing bad happens.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
How about we hear if they take care of you or not before flogging them?

I will keep you updated. I told them that I didn't want a refinished wheel. When I got home I looked up the OEM wheel ($400 ish on SALE), and the refurbished versions ($130-$200). Some of the refurbs even say "new", but when you read the description it says that they were repainted. I am going to ask to see the wheel before install.

They need to set you whole, that's the legal standard. A used, so-called refurbished wheel that's equal to the one they dinged more than likely meets this requirement.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
How about we hear if they take care of you or not before flogging them?

Why, they screwed up the job right off the bat, and unfortunately for the OP it is not the first time either. But I understand why many folks look past the first mistake because we all know that accidents happen, but in the auto repair business many shops have the same accident multiple times per day, and don't give a fork.

I had that discussion with my tire shop on the last set of tires installed on my weekend car. They scuffed up one of the painted wheels any ways. I guess I should ensured that I saw the shop manager instruct the technician. I thought I could trust them to get it done. They offered to "fix" the damage but you know it won't match. To make it worse I'd have to bring my car down to a shop an hour away and leave it with them overnight or longer....so the car can really get scratched up by everyone walking by it. Not gonna happen.

Well I got a call from the guy at the shop that I dealt with, he is now saying that he has to see what the managers want to do about the situation. Great, here we go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back