Wooden Box Retirement Gift

Status
Not open for further replies.
A colleague of 40 years is retiring soon and my co-workers and I are presenting him this gift pictured below. His career revolved around maple and he is an avid collector and user of knives.

The knife is made in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and features a birds eye maple handle. I constructed the box with 4/4 birds eye maple scraps donated by a local saw mill. I planed it down to 1/2 inch and it is finished with a home-made wiping varnish (50:50 varnish:mineral spirits), applied with a cloth and lightly rubbed between coats.

I do a couple of wood projects every year. This is by far the smallest ever done, but it was challenging none the less. My equipment is mediocre and good tight joints are more challenging as a project gets smaller.

Just a simple box, but still quite a few hours from rough lumber to finished results.
6c9a60ed-f25a-4d5f-84e0-d2dc312fb1fc_zps71g8ywal.jpg

Below, this shows the birds eye maple grain, something an avid woodworker would appreciate.
IMG_1092_zps57e90314.jpg

The finished box will have a small plaque on the top.
e63a737e-0653-425b-be3a-7db738094c18_zpske631clw.jpg

An uncle specified bird's eye maple for a rifle stock when I was a kid. Since then it's been a favorite of mine.

Super gift-_-_-functional, economical, strong, personalized-to-the-max.

Fave woods: teak, bird's eye maple, birch veneer plywood
Fave trees: Elm, Mountain Ash,

Thank you for the comments.

When he opened the box, his simple comment "Oh,....wow", struck where it matters. I appreciate family, friends, and good colleagues.

That has got to be the "coolest" gift ever. Very impressive, and I'm sure, appreciated.

I'm a technical guy and I sometimes dread gifts. Many people just don't understand what's worthwhile. Even my wife will purchase cheap Chinese universal tools for me. Ugh. That, on the other hand, is amazingly thoughtful in so many ways.

Great job!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back