who uses a oil filter wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering. I only did on one truck because I could not get my hand around it. My 2015 Silverado made it very easy to get to. I have always had a strong grip ( grew up milking cows LOL ) but I never thought they needed to be that tight.

I do, the way my Liberty's oil filter is situated it makes life a lot easier.

Even though I always hand-tighten the filter, it's difficult to remove the next time because of oily gloves. A quick tug with the wrench gets it off easily.

To install a filter?
Never.
To remove a filter?
Usually.
I'll make a half-hearted attempt at removal by hand on most of our cars and this sometimes works. I typically end up grabbing a wrench.

I use the clamp style removal tool occasionally. I always put the filter on by hand. The majority of the time, if I put the filter on myself I can get it off by hand when it comes time to change it. Quick lubes are horrible about oil filter tightening. I had a horrible struggle removing a Pennzoil filter with my clamps that the local Pennzoil quick lube put on. I've had trouble with Valvoline too but none ever as bad as the Pennzoil. Hand tight is more than good. Shops tighten the [censored] out of the filter just to make sure it doesn't pop off I guess... for liability reasons.

I'm gonna start using one of those cap/ spider socket things on my camry. No swing room otherwise.

I have graduated from wrench to socket cap to strap (now needed on my General V8s). I've got a drawer full of options.

Last edited:
I rarely need the strap wrench on the Ram. Once I broke the factory filter loose all the subsequent ones can be removed by hand.

My TB is another story. GM buried the filter on this one and I always need to use a base wrench for it.

I don't let drippy lubers touch my filters. I use a vacuum pump in the winter now. I have a "socket" which fits the Pure Ones just fine.

It seems like every new car I get I must buy a new oil filter wrench. After 40+ years of car buying I have an impressive collection of filter wrenches.

I've started having hand problems around 10 years ago, and it's not getting better. It would be silly for me to not use an oil filter wrench. So, no "hand tight" for me. I tighten with a wrench according to specification.

I used to use the band style oil filter wrench but then I picked up an oil filter pliers and it is great! That is all I use anymore.

I used to enjoy bowing up on a filter to remove it. I remember on a Ford I had in 2006 or so, I gave it all my might. Then a friend removed and said I must have loosened it, heh....he was probably alot stronger, but some fasteners are like that. They dont always just break free, you might have to get an eigth of a turn in before they really do loosen.

Anyways, wintertime changing the oil on a Saturn and I am really not enjoying tensing up and straining to remove it. Add to the fact, I hated buying specialty tools! I got a fluted cap wrench and used it for a few years before Bob introduced me to the Lisle. Been a cakewalk since.

Now, as Kestas said, it is not about just the right torque anymore......it is, usually, 3/4 - 1 turn as the filter can says. They do seem to be getting tighter.....is it the gasket is thicker or are we getting too old?

I always "hand tighten" with a wrench. It's not that big of a deal. I just put a index mark on the filter, and use the 3/4 to 1 turn window. Using a wrench does not mean it is will be too tight. You can tell by feel, and some filters, you cannot even get your hand around them anyway. The old filters, that were the size of a coffee can were easier by hand, and what does hand tight mean anyway? Some people might get a 1/2 turn on it, while some gorilla, could put another turn on it by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back