2015 Ford F-250 6.7L MC Filter (9,800 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a NAPA Gold filter for $22 for my F-250 and swapped it out this past weekend. I have to admit that I was pretty surprised to see the filter this dirty with only 9,800 miles on it. The small section (3rd photo) on the end of the filter that is relatively clean is the area above the foam pre-filter (which I did not change at this time). The NG filter was installed with some K&N air filter grease and the filter minder was reset (it was about 1/4 of the way through the range). I have never liked MC air filters, I just do not find they filter as well as other brands--which is why I changed it so early. I saw a fairly significant reduction in silicon when I switched from MC to NG in my F-150.

At any rate, here are the photos:

jD1mVG.jpg

FzpVDR.jpg

miNfMT.jpg

JMjOoq.jpg

dRYFnW.jpg

I think it's a combination of large displacement causing large airflow, and Texas being dry and dusty.

You think the si drop is because the si is being washed out from the breakin?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
It looks like it was oiled, or the prefilter leeched oil onto it.

I don't know for sure, but I dont think oil actually attracts dust and dirt, but rather holds on to it.

Yeah, there are some oil on the filter.

The flat panel paper filter in my E430 was much better looking at 35-40k miles than this filter at 10k miles.

I switched to a NAPA Gold in my Taurus based on your results in your F150. If I don't get great results, I will blame you!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
You think the si drop is because the si is being washed out from the breakin?
No; I switched from MC to NG in my F-150 at 57,000 miles and saw a good difference in the silicon.

2010 F-150 UOAs

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I switched to a NAPA Gold in my Taurus based on your results in your F150. If I don't get great results, I will blame you!
grin.gif

Rut roh George!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
It looks like it was oiled, or the prefilter leeched oil onto it. I dont know for sure, but I dont think oil actually attracts dust and dirt, but rather holds on to it.
The pre-filter was dry, but I do think there is some oil on the MC filters--but a bit more on the NGs because there was an oil spot on the inside of the box.

Originally Posted By: robo339
I've used several different brands for the 6.7 and they all get this oily build up I try to swap them every 3rd oci or 15k
Maybe it is just the Texas environment?

Yall would get a kick our of my dodge 6.7 filters it's a brush truck for my local volunteer fire department and with all the ash in the air them things last a couple weeks at a time during the busy seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back