Run Oversized Fram Ultra 25k & Multiple OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1st Fram video, they say at time 1:35 that the efficiency test is per ISO 4548-12, which IS a multi-pass test. ALL of Frams efficiency claims are based on ISO 4548-12.

The statement about "filtering dirty oil on the very first pass" made earlier in the video has nothing to do with the test method. It was just a general comment about filtering oil.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
In 1st Fram video, they say at time 1:35 that the efficiency test is per ISO 4548-12, which IS a multi-pass test. ALL of Frams efficiency claims are based on ISO 4548-12.

The statement about "filtering dirty oil on the very first pass" made earlier in the video has nothing to do with the test method. It was just a general comment about filtering oil.

Yes, but they also do a 1-pass test in one video with a precisely measured amount of various dirt particles.

Looks like you have performed very good maintenance on the vehicle to date.

Why the change in approach?

Getting the filter changed out can't be that bad.

I have a Toyota Land Cruiser that requires the removal of a two piece skid plate before you can access the cartridge style filter.

No problem.....

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yes, but they also do a 1-pass test in one video with a precisely measured amount of various dirt particles.

Didn't see that ... at what time in the video?

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
I am planning to run my 98 1mzfe with PP HM 5w30 5000 per OCI on a 12 month schedule with an oversized Fram Ultra XG3600. I plan to run the oversized Fram Ultra 20000 miles (4 OCIs or so). Other BITOGers here seem to have had good luck running that filter 25000 miles with multiple OCIs.

Anyone here run an oversized Fram Ultra 25k and/or on multiple OCIs? Noticed any problems?

What is the purpose of running one filter for 20-25K?

On the engine you have the filter angles down. That means if the oil drains out of it for any reason, and it probably will, it will take longer to fill it with a larger filter. To each his own. I would use only the 3614 myself. The Toyota 90915-yzzd1 has about 1/3 or more media than the Ultra of the same size. I am going to do some measuring one of these days but it is a lot more.
One thing I don't get is if the efficiency tests stop at 20 psi differential but the bypass valve has been open since 14 psi? Or do they stop below the bypass pressure?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
One thing I don't get is if the efficiency tests stop at 20 psi differential but the bypass valve has been open since 14 psi? Or do they stop below the bypass pressure?

What time in the video are they talking about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back