Maintenance on a Mint Low Mileage 2001 S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am the original owner of a 2001 Honda S2000. Car is in showroom condition with 40,000kms... only driven in hot dry summer days with the roof down. Never seen rain or snow.

In the past 15 years the car has only seen the following for maintenance:
Yearly Oil/Filter Changes with either M1, GC, PP, VMax Life... 10W30/5W30/0W30..note: the engine consumes zero oil even with frequent thrashings to 9000rpms
Yearly Cold Air Intake Filter Clean
Coolant, Brake, Transmission, Diff Fluid flush every 3 years
Spark Plugs were changed once during a TSB in 2004
Tires... its on its 5th set :p
Battery replaced 3 times...its always plugged into a tender

Since it is 15 years, should i be looking at replacing other things like rubber rad hoses, heater hoses, seals? Everything still looks like new on the car..i cant find anything rotting, cracked or split...

Fuel Filter is not serviceable as its in the tank.
I do need to change the cabin filter... it is original... when do i ever use the HVAC anyways?? :p
Wipers are original...they're in mint condition.

Am i Missing anything ??
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Last edited:
By your calculations, it's due for a coolant flush this year. I'd change out the hoses then. They can fail catastrophically. I wouldn't spend huge bank to change out engine seals until they start to leak; if you are so inclined to spend the money on them.

I'd let the hoses or seals break. Sounds like car is barely used so why do PM on a what if.

Change the cabin filter as it can breed bad stuff and is cheap. Just keep on top of fluids and enjoy the car...

20.gif
Where are the pics!?

I'd use the AC once in awhile to circulate the oil in athe system. The oem hoses for everything else should be good with low mileage and storage I wouldn't go chasing problems that don't exist.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Sounds like you spend more time maintaining it/worrying about maintenance than driving it.

That's what I would expect out of this forum
smile.gif

The S2000's engine has a chain.

OP, I generally find Honda parts to be very durable. I wouldn't expect failure any time soon on any of the soft parts (hoses, belts, etc). Is it kept in a heated garage over the winter? If so, even more of a reason why that stuff should still be pliable.

Chain on this engine, which I'm sure the OP knows.

Thugzy -

My S2000 has lived a similar life. It has 40k miles.
smile.gif
I think we put 600 miles on it last year.

The only things I can think of in addition to your list is clutch fluid (check CMC and CSC for leaks) and the serpentine belt (keep an eye on it).

With the frequent trips to 9k, it is time to take the valve cover off to upgrade to AP2 or titanium retainers. I've got a fiver that says at least one is cracked. I found 3 at 40,000mi on mine.

Change the transmission fluid with Honda MTF, it's due at 50,000km. I'd also do the differential due to age.

Aside from that, go get some miles on her!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sounds like you spend more time maintaining it/worrying about maintenance than driving it.

smile.gif

Not me. I make sure all the maintenance is done properly so that I can use my vehicles to their full potential whenever I feel like it, not to let them sit in the garage looking pretty. Different strokes I guess.

smile.gif

Not me. I make sure all the maintenance is done properly so that I can use my vehicles to their full potential whenever I feel like it, not to let them sit in the garage looking pretty. Different strokes I guess.

Sounds like the OP does enjoy his car.

I'd use the AC once in awhile to circulate the oil in athe system. The oem hoses for everything else should be good with low mileage and storage I wouldn't go chasing problems that don't exist.

+1. This would be my greatest concern besides ensuring that all fluids got fully hot and circulated, and that the battery is maibtenance charged...

My 2004 S2000 with 57,xxx miles has 6 months OCI with conventional 10W30 or 12 months with synthetic. For synthetic oil I mixed 60% 0W40 with 40% 0W20(either M1 or Castrol Edge) to get a little higher HTHS than 10W30.

Brake, Clutch, Transmission and Diff Fluid every 3 years

Coolant was changed a year ago and will not change again for 6-8 years.

Spark plugs are original, will change when mileage reach 70-80k miles or 15 years.

The third battery is on now, when I don;t drive it for more than a day I put on battery maintainer.

All hoses are original, I don't plan to replace any until it failed, or a sign that it's going to fail soon.

We don't have snow in So Cal, but I drive my S2000 year round, rain or shine, hot or cold(cold in So Cal is when temperature drops below 50F).

Originally Posted By: Leo99

smile.gif

Sounds like the OP does enjoy his car.

I never said he doesn't, but at just over 1600 miles a year average the car does sit a lot.

I didn't see the PS fluid on the list, maybe it was ommitted - assuming it's got a typical hydraulic system. I drain/fill mine at each AT drain/fill (30k miles).

I have a 2004 S2000 with a turbo kit on it. 60K miles now.

One issue that cropped up 15K miles ago, was the brake calipers. The fluid is clean and the internals are clean. But, outside of the piston's seal, and under the rubber boot, corrosion started. So, I guess you could say that external corrosion has worked it's way under the boot and on to the piston and caliper. Resulting in caliper drag.

I bought reseal kits, but was unable to use the parts, so they were re-assembled with the original seals. No problems. However, my pitted pistons are not long for this world.

Another issue has been the front suspension, lower A arm bolt. For some reason, they both refuse to come out. I suspect they were dipped in battery acid and then were tightened to 999 foot pounds torque. Might not be a bad idea to put anti seize on them. (this is a known issue with the S2K)

Wonderful little car! Very few cars have a similar, pure driving experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back