Struggling with 2003 Camry update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oemjunk
This should be a sticky

Actually...this thread should be deleted and the OP somehow permanently banned from this forum...there are some deep rooted issues at play that have no place here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
Originally Posted By: engineer20
Thanks for the advice, but only if you told me earlier!
I've already put a lot of money in the camry.

To someone who hasn't been to college, this is known as "good money after bad". In an engineering economics class, I learned it is also called the "sunk cost fallacy".

Either way, thinking like E20 did in that post is illogical and will lead to wasting a lot of money. You need to decide based on what path will cost the least in the future (e.g. new car where you only need to make the payments), regardless of what you have spent in the past. That money is gone.

This point was the basis for my engineering conomics course. Never, ever make a decision based on $$ you have already spent.

how's red grease

This question reveals your keen engineering insight, once again proving your engineering prowess. SAE uses the same grease color code that plumbers use to avoid confusion. Red grease is for hot systems like your exhaust. Carefully smear the entire system from manifold to the end of the tailpipe. Make it 20mm thick in the winter and 5mm thick in the summer. Use blue grease on your cold systems, eg your A/C compressor and expansion valve. Automotive repair is easy if you follow these simple rules: red on hot, blue on cold; lefty loosey, righty tighty; i before e except after c and what goes up must come down.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
how's red grease

This question reveals your keen engineering insight, once again proving your engineering prowess. SAE uses the same grease color code that plumbers use to avoid confusion. Red grease is for hot systems like your exhaust. Carefully smear the entire system from manifold to the end of the tailpipe. Make it 20mm thick in the winter and 5mm thick in the summer. Use blue grease on your cold systems, eg your A/C compressor and expansion valve. Automotive repair is easy if you follow these simple rules: red on hot, blue on cold; lefty loosey, righty tighty; i before e except after c and what goes up must come down.

good post.
but,you forgot one detail.the odd number years call for METRIC grease on Japanese models, in February.are you sure that 20mm. is enough ?

bill g -- why would you want the thread deleted ? a large number of posters are having fun, and are being entertained by e20.there's always one who wants to ruin things for others. if you object to his threads/posts,or have no sense of humor, put him on ignore, or don't read the thread.that's too easy. ruin it for others.that's the way to go.go outside, and holler -- git off my lawn!

The mirage is in delaware and I'm a bigger buy who needs a bigger car.
I rented a versa for a road trip and it wasn't fun. Also, I have a stockpile of like 10 oil filters for the camry. Those would go to waste if I sold the car! So my plan is not to buy any more filters and sell the camry after all those filters are used.

Originally Posted By: yeti
how's red grease

good post.
but,you forgot one detail.the odd number years call for METRIC grease on Japanese models, in February.are you sure that 20mm. is enough ?

bill g -- why would you want the thread deleted ? a large number of posters are having fun, and are being entertained by e20.there's always one who wants to ruin things for others. if you object to his threads/posts,or have no sense of humor, put him on ignore, or don't read the thread.that's too easy. ruin it for others.that's the way to go.go outside, and holler -- git off my lawn!

Oh I've got a sense of humor and you make some good points but E20 seems to feed off people submitting rational responses to his irrational never ending posts and questions. If the purpose of this thread is to, as you point out, entertain a large number of posters, maybe it should be in a different section. I do have to admit, I keep reading to see what's gonna be said next.

You've got me pondering that metric grease stuff for our cars.

Also, I have a stockpile of like 10 oil filters for the camry. Those would go to waste if I sold the car!

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Also, I have a stockpile of like 10 oil filters for the camry. Those would go to waste if I sold the car!

crackmeup2.gif

See, I told you so!

Also, I have a stockpile of like 10 oil filters for the camry. Those would go to waste if I sold the car! So my plan is not to buy any more filters and sell the camry after all those filters are used.

By the time you use up all those filters, BITOG will need additional servers just to handle all the posts about things wrong with your car.

Last edited:
The mirage is in delaware and I'm a bigger buy who needs a bigger car.
I rented a versa for a road trip and it wasn't fun. Also, I have a stockpile of like 10 oil filters for the camry. Those would go to waste if I sold the car! So my plan is not to buy any more filters and sell the camry after all those filters are used.

I'd sell them badd mofo's on Ebay $$,cha-ching!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

crackmeup2.gif

See, I told you so!

Yup....is there a "use by" date on those filters? I have a dozen jugs of oil that are already past the date on them....I may have to throw them away if I sell Kitacam before their use-by date expires.

wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill_G
Originally Posted By: yeti
how's red grease

good post.

Oh I've got a sense of humor and you make some good points but E20 seems to feed off people submitting rational responses to his irrational never ending posts and questions. If the purpose of this thread is to, as you point out, entertain a large number of posters, maybe it should be in a different section. I do have to admit, I keep reading to see what's gonna be said next.

You've got me pondering that metric grease stuff for our cars.

you bring up a couple of good points, as well.
I don't think that his original intent was to entertain, but, you 'gotta admit, a lot are having fun with his posts.maybe, at this point, his threads should be directed to the humor section.calling his posts irrational is being kind.
at the end of the day, who cares, as this is the internet.

re: the grease -- metric grease MUST be used on Japanese cars' exhaust systems, and the muffler bearings. in February.and, only on a Tuesday.
have a good night.

Friends don't let friends grease their exhaust system. It will heat up and the grease will melt, drip, and burnt into smoke and fume.

You will know if you have a bad wheel bearing, it is loud.

Link goes bad because the bushing goes bad, the rest of the links usually don't go bad. It is more expensive to press bushing at today's labor so people just replace the whole link, control arm, tie rod end link, trailing arm, A arm, axle, etc.

Sell the camry when you re still ahead of the game, a new car without having to worry at your situation is a great deal for $10k.

Stop the metric grease [censored]. Ford has special grease that says is moly based. Then there's a lithium one for gm, Chrysler and japanese cars. All I wanted to know was the difference and if you mixed them up. Then there's this red grease.

I'm serious abput the oil filters. It'd be a pain to sell all of them as they're all different brands! I'd just sell them in one craigslist post, way below market value but the filters are a serious reason why I want to keep the car as I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling or disposing them.

And coupled by the fact I have a huge stash of 5w30 for the camry and most newer cars don't use 5w30 so all those would go to waste.
Another reason is they say toyotas are reliable. I feel I haven't gotten my money's worth if it can't go to 200k. If it [censored] out so early, wouldn't I have been better off with a domestic? Also, blame michigan roads. They are awful and wreak havoc on your suspension.

I'm serious abput the oil filters. It'd be a pain to sell all of them as they're all different brands! I'd just sell them in one craigslist post, way below market value but the filters are a serious reason why I want to keep the car as I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling or disposing them.

Oh my god.

I have a huge stash of 5w30 for the camry

I have a stockpile of like 10 oil filters

Says the guy who says he has no money and that's why he's DIYing...

Right now I'm smelling the same odor I smelled yesterday when I went past the beef farm down the road from me and the wind was just right...

How do you dispose used oil filter? Disposing them unused can't be that much more difficult.

The money you saved from buying all these parts to fix non broken things would be much more than the 10 oil filters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back