Kendall Super-Dxa 15W-40 SynBlend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with this oil? I have not seen too many synthetic blends in 15W-40 around and I was surprised to see this one also carries an SN designation (instead of the typical SM with CJ-4 oil).

Tired Trucker - did you use this oil in your OTR?

aakG4Y.jpg

fBUiMF.jpg

Where did you find it?

This stuff was pushed hard years ago as being excellent for the Cummins ISB (ASTM D7484).

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Where did you find it? This stuff was pushed hard years ago as being excellent for the Cummins ISB (ASTM D7484).
I saw it a a few days ago on Amazon for $55 for a 4 gallon case ($13.75 per gallon). I am guessing the stuff they pushed some years ago was the SM version?

My fuel supplier sells this oil. I would buy it but they only can get it in 1Qt containers or 1Gal containers.

I've used that oil several times. I will tell you that when it first went in (every time) it was very odorous. Not offensive to me but quite a strong burning oil/chemical odor. It scared me big time because I thought something had come loose and was leaking oil all over the hot engine. It was noticable immediately after restarting the engine but became really bad as I headed down the road. It took about thirty miles to get the worst of the odor burned off but some remained for a full 600 mile day. Just a heads up for you in case you use it.

I ran that oil from december '14 to june '15 and never used any oil in my 20-21k mile oci's. I tested the second and third oci's and you can see the results in my delvac elite uoa (as i type this it is on page 1 of the diesel uoa forum) and the Kendall Super D-XA did fine. The Delvac Accutrack kits I used don't test TBN but I have no doubt that it was still good.

Edit- this Kendall oil is available for about $17/gallon every day at Pilot and Flying J truckstops across the U.S. That isn't cheap but I wanted to give it a try.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
I've used that oil several times. I will tell you that when it first went in (every time) it was very odorous. Not offensive to me but quite a strong burning oil/chemical odor. It scared me big time because I thought something had come loose and was leaking oil all over the hot engine. It was noticable immediately after restarting the engine but became really bad as I headed down the road. It took about thirty miles to get the worst of the odor burned off but some remained for a full 600 mile day. Just a heads up for you in case you use it.

I ran that oil from december '14 to june '15 and never used any oil in my 20-21k mile oci's. I tested the second and third oci's and you can see the results in my delvac elite uoa (as i type this it is on page 1 of the diesel uoa forum) and the Kendall Super D-XA did fine. The Delvac Accutrack kits I used don't test TBN but I have no doubt that it was still good.

Edit- this Kendall oil is available for about $17/gallon every day at Pilot and Flying J truckstops across the U.S. That isn't cheap but I wanted to give it a try.

$17 gallon for me too. Delo is a bit cheaper though.

Thanks for the input Dusty. Nice to see the comparison between the two oils (reposted below). While there are always variances between UOAs, it is interesting to see the results of nearly double engine hours on the Delvac versus the Kendall. Were the operating conditions the same (more or less) between the two oils?

Code:
Element Delvac 10W30 Kendall 15W40 Kendall 15W40

Truck miles 269,712 247,803 227,421

Oil miles 21,910 20,382 22,176

Oil hours 1,001 815 551

Driving hours 413 386 410

Iron 17 16 21

Chromium
Lead 10 4 8

Copper 2 4 8

Tin
Aluminum 2 2 2

Nickel
Silver
Titanium 14 103 107

Vanadium

Silicon 7 4 6

Sodium 10 7 6

Potassium 1 7 7

Water
Coolant no no no

Magnesium 753 311 315

Calcium 1416 1902 2246

Barium
Phosphorus 1098 1026 1194

Zinc 1398 1286 1443

Moly 45 1 2

Boron 7 12 31

Viscosity cSt @ 100C 12.4 14.8 14.2

Fuel %
Soot % 0.2 0.2 0.4

TBN 4.1 no test no test

I never used the syn blend, but I took a 1996 Cummins N-14 to 1.4 million miles on Kendall 15w40 conventional doing 30K mile oil changes. Never had to do any engine work except for one injector and an accessory drive seal. Sold the truck and it went right to work for next owner. I would expect their syn blend to be as good or better. I am on Schaeffer now, and using 10w30 syn blend in my present semi. I posted a recent UOA on the 10w30 in the UOA diesel section.

I have never tried this oil, but from what I have read from others, it is a decent oil. If memory serves me correctly, it is made by Conoco-Phillips.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I never used the syn blend, but I took a 1996 Cummins N-14 to 1.4 million miles on Kendall 15w40 conventional doing 30K mile oil changes. Never had to do any engine work except for one injector and an accessory drive seal. Sold the truck and it went right to work for next owner. I would expect their syn blend to be as good or better. I am on Schaeffer now, and using 10w30 syn blend in my present semi. I posted a recent UOA on the 10w30 in the UOA diesel section.
Ah! It was conventional Kendall. Thanks for the information.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: turbowhistle
If memory serves me correctly, it is made by Conoco-Phillips.
Yep, it is.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

Thanks for the input Dusty. Nice to see the comparison between the two oils (reposted below). While there are always variances between UOAs, it is interesting to see the results of nearly double engine hours on the Delvac versus the Kendall. Were the operating conditions the same (more or less) between the two oils?

Code:
Element Delvac 10W30 Kendall 15W40 Kendall 15W40

Truck miles 269,712 247,803 227,421

Oil miles 21,910 20,382 22,176

Oil hours 1,001 815 551

Driving hours 413 386 410

Iron 17 16 21

Chromium
Lead 10 4 8

Copper 2 4 8

Tin
Aluminum 2 2 2

Nickel
Silver
Titanium 14 103 107

Vanadium

Silicon 7 4 6

Sodium 10 7 6

Potassium 1 7 7

Water
Coolant no no no

Magnesium 753 311 315

Calcium 1416 1902 2246

Barium
Phosphorus 1098 1026 1194

Zinc 1398 1286 1443

Moly 45 1 2

Boron 7 12 31

Viscosity cSt @ 100C 12.4 14.8 14.2

Fuel %
Soot % 0.2 0.2 0.4

TBN 4.1 no test no test

Oh my! You sure cleaned up my messy post. Sorry I never use code block because it takes me so long to get everything all lined up nice and neat. That is very nice as you have posted it.

Outside temps were only differences. The first Kendall sample (far right) was mid february to mid april (2015) and included many cold starts and therefore, warm up cycles. I'm acknowledging Shannow here, who has straightened me out about warm up wear vs cold starts.

The middle column was an oci from mid april to mid june (2015) and was mostly moderate/warm temps. The Delvac sample was mid june to late august. All the excess hours were just idling to stay cool and comfy.

Otherwise the truck was operated at the same general weight and with the same mix of big city stop/go and highway cruising.

I do not think I seen an OTC synthetic blend diesel oil that is not SM

Generally speaking, with HDEOs, it would seem that anything that was introduced or updated at or near the CJ-4 rollout wound up being SM. Those HDEOs that were introduced significantly after the CJ-4 rollout seemed to get the SN rating.

The "normal" Rotella, Delvac, and Delo stuff tends to be SM, since they had equivalent CI-4 and CI-4+ products, and were updated, but their continuity remained. Most of the E6 low phosphorus 5w-30 examples I've seen (i.e. Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 and its competition) are SN, or don't have the gasoline rating (I believe Castrol's version lacks the spark rating), since they are very new, introduced after the end of new SM licenses.

Running this in my 04.5 Cummins now. Like Dustroads said, it does smell quite a bit. Took me a little longer to get rid of the smell than he did. (smaller engine, less miles). He answered the same question for me a while back. Here is an UOA (kinda) that I posted a while back. Thought I may had fuel in oil and sent a sample to blackstone. Note the sample was taken from the filter itself as I did not have a oil drain valve at the time. I will note that my oil pressure is a little higher with this oil than what I experienced with Premium Blue or Delvac Super 1300, but still within range. Here is the link.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...s_2#Post3755715

Originally Posted By: JStep
Like Dustyroads said, it does smell quite a bit. Took me a little longer to get rid of the smell than he did. (smaller engine, less miles).
You guys have piqued my curiosity--is it the smell of the oil in the bottle that you are referring to or the smell of the exhaust after adding the oil? If neither, where does the smell originate? Thanks for posting the UOA; nice to see Kendall being used.
cheers3.gif

It is not the smell of the oil in the bottle. Best guess is that it is coming from the breather tube. Stink all around the truck while it is running. Was bad enough that like Dustyroads said, I also did a complete inspection of the truck thinking I had an oil leak. Everything bone dry. Must be an additive or something that when hot stinks coming out the vent tube. Did not notice any smell out of the bottle. Sure did after running it though!

Like Dustyroads said, it does smell quite a bit. Took me a little longer to get rid of the smell than he did. (smaller engine, less miles).
You guys have piqued my curiosity--is it the smell of the oil in the bottle that you are referring to or the smell of the exhaust after adding the oil? If neither, where does the smell originate? Thanks for posting the UOA; nice to see Kendall being used.
cheers3.gif

It will make you cringe but, try to imagine popping the hood of your truck (when hot) and pouring a gallon of oil all over the engine. You would get a hot, burning oil odor. That is what it's like, except it is sort of an oil/chemical mixture. I personally think it leans much heavier towards a burning chemical odor and I wonder if it's the titatanium additive.
21.gif

I didn't smell anything as I poured it in but I was distracted with conversation at each service. It's coming from the crankcase, not the exhaust. I truly freaked out and stopped on the side of the interstate because I thought a filter or oil line had come loose and was plastering the engine with oil. I have almost ten gallons in the sump so that made for a strong odor as it heated.

I hate to admit it but I freaked out the second time (using the oil) and the third time it still got my attention.

It is not the smell of the oil in the bottle. Best guess is that it is coming from the breather tube. Stink all around the truck while it is running. Was bad enough that like Dustyroads said, I also did a complete inspection of the truck thinking I had an oil leak. Everything bone dry. Must be an additive or something that when hot stinks coming out the vent tube. Did not notice any smell out of the bottle. Sure did after running it though!

thumbsup2.gif
You beat me by a few minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back